Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 184185186187188 282>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 03:26
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=32231

5 star spammer

Let me investigate this one and I'll post an update presently

All the reviews are posted from Barcelona or Madrid in Spain and he's been a member for quite a while (joined 18/12/10 so a bit of an erm... bulimic spammer) It's unlikely that multiple accounts are at play though I can't yet prove it as none of the 6 IP addresses match any forum postings.

Pepe Castello appears to love pretty much every audible phenomenon in the navigable universe apart from:
Pink Floyd and Genesis (whom he indiscriminately loathes save the strange exception of Wind and Wuthering which he unhesitatingly awards 5 sparklies.) Given his fan boy level of affection for all those classic 70's Prog bands whose fans generally find Genesis and Floyd at worst, agreeable, it seems like rather immature ratings manipulation to me.
Similarly, even those many critters I know who abhor Canterbury Scene concede that Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink is perhaps the only album they would salvage from the entire sub genre.Wink
Ditto for those who care not for Gentle Giant's Freehand or Crime of the Century by Supertramp but with even an ounce of nous wouldn't dismiss same as one star efforts.Confused
I also think that the large JR/Fusion enthusiasm (87 ratings) would not normally sit beside Symph (201 ratings) as anyone's top two favorite sub genres. To his credit, escuchador does identify New Trolls Aldebaran and ELP's Love Beach as legit turkeys but on balance they all have to go.

On a general note, in the light of the recent carnage perpetuated by those who abuse the instant ratings facility, we maybe have to think long and hard if such a function is really worth all the housekeeping and remedial action involved to fix them.

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 02 2012 at 04:42
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 10:30
I've found a strange thing:

Song from Renaissance Days has a quite high rating but almost all the reviewers have given it 2 stars. The page says that the album has 155 ratings as below:

RENAISSANCE Songs from Renaissance Days ratings distribution

(155 ratings)
 Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music(0%)
0%
 Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection(4%)
4%
Good, but non-essential (30%)
30%
Collectors/fans only (57%)
57%
Poor. Only for completionists (9%)
9%But looking to "All the ratings/reviews", the ratings are not so much:

There are only 6 reviews and 17 ratings.

And none of them is 5 stars. only one 4-stars ratings:

I think there's something wrong.Stern Smile 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 10:33
Really? How odd.
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 20:58
Is this appropriate?  It was clearly written as a reaction to Karl (Bonnek's) review earlier today.

The first sentence essentially admits rating manipulation.

Weather Systems
Anathema Experimental/Post Metal

Review by voliveira

5 stars 10/10Uh. A review of only a star. This considerably lowered the score of this album (4.43 to 4.16), but do not worry Anathema, I'll raise their morale.

Full review here.

Edited by Epignosis - May 07 2012 at 21:44
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 21:40
^ I think you mean Karl
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 21:43
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

^ I think you mean Karl

Quite right, thank you.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 21:45
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Is this appropriate?  It was clearly written as a reaction to Jay (Negoba's) review earlier today.

Weather Systems

Review by voliveira

5 stars 10/10Uh. A review of only a star. This considerably lowered the score of this album (4.43 to 4.16), but do not worry Anathema, I'll raise their morale.

Full review here.

I'm not a fan of Anathema (Everybody should know by now LOL), but lets be honest, apart from the first sentence that was a bit confusing (sounds like a "knee-jerk" reaction more than attempt to manipulate), the rest of the review is very good

voliveira
5 stars 10/10

Uh. A review of only a star. This considerably lowered the score of this album (4.43 to 4.16), but do not worry Anathema, I'll raise their morale. Because I have to say this band that I had won with his album We're Here Because We're Here continues to captivate me in their release, titled Weather Systems.

The group's proposal and terms of musicianship remains a delightful and impressive blend of post-alternative rock / atmospheric / progressive. However it is a terrible mistake to categorize Anathema as a pop-rock, because their music goes way beyond that. Ok, there is not much complexity in terms of composition, and all the songs follow the same estrurura, but it is necessary to recognize its undeniable ability to engage the listener in the atmosphere created by his music.

The structure in question is that all the songs start quietly and grow larger until it reaches explosive climaxes before returning to the final moments of peace (some songs make it more subtle, in others it is more evident). It is practically the same as his predecessor had done, but would be another mistake to say that the albums are too similar. Where WHBWH album was a bright, positive and somewhat happy Weather Systems is a much more melancholy and experimental. There is little emphasis on some elements used previously in the bands that are actually very welcome: the acoustic guitar and the distinctive and beautiful voice of Lee Douglas.

We started in Untouchable, pts. I and II. I think they are my favorite moments of the album. I really can not forget what is being done here! These two songs, although such opposite moods, complement each other brilliantly. Then we have another junction: the short but amazing The Gathering of Clouds (God, I really love those vocal harmonies!) And simple Lightning Song, sung by Lee Douglas. Then comes Sunlight, where the characteristic of "accumulation" is most evident, and so the first part of the album ends.

First part? Yes Like the previous album Weather Systems is divided into two distinct sections, and this one is more experimental. This is evident from the epic The Storm Before the Calm, my other favorite here. The first half clashes of the sound that the band has done in recent years: is a section Electronic / Gothic (do not know why but this reminds me Phideaux) and scary! However from the four-minute music changes the environment completely, to reveal a true song Anthema, epic as they never were. The next song is The Beginning and the End, the single from album, but I must say that what is here does not impress me, it's not a song neither good nor bad, nothing outstanding. The Lost Child and Internal Landscapes form the climax of the album, like Universal/Hindsight of WHBWH, but are more subtle in their intent, closing the album perfectly majestic.

Therefore, I can only give you a 5 star rating. Anathema is evolving more and more in his new sound, and I am a declared fan of what they are doing. With Weather Systems they only solidify its position as one of the best names in progressive rock / experimental in recent times.

I find it coherent, and the rating seems logical for him.

I wouldn't buy it, because i don't like Extreme Post Metal at all, but doesn't seem inappropriate or contrary to the guidelines.

Iván

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 21:58
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Is this appropriate?  It was clearly written as a reaction to Jay (Negoba's) review earlier today.

Weather Systems

Review by voliveira

Full review here.

I'm not a fan of Anathema (Everybody should know by now LOL), but lets be honest, apart from the first sentence that was a bit confusing (sounds like a "knee-jerk" reaction more than attempt to manipulate), the rest of the review is very good

voliveira
5 stars 10/10

Uh. A review of only a star. This considerably lowered the score of this album (4.43 to 4.16), but do not worry Anathema, I'll raise their morale. Because I have to say this band that I had won with his album We're Here Because We're Here continues to captivate me in their release, titled Weather Systems.

The group's proposal and terms of musicianship remains a delightful and impressive blend of post-alternative rock / atmospheric / progressive. However it is a terrible mistake to categorize Anathema as a pop-rock, because their music goes way beyond that. Ok, there is not much complexity in terms of composition, and all the songs follow the same estrurura, but it is necessary to recognize its undeniable ability to engage the listener in the atmosphere created by his music.

The structure in question is that all the songs start quietly and grow larger until it reaches explosive climaxes before returning to the final moments of peace (some songs make it more subtle, in others it is more evident). It is practically the same as his predecessor had done, but would be another mistake to say that the albums are too similar. Where WHBWH album was a bright, positive and somewhat happy Weather Systems is a much more melancholy and experimental. There is little emphasis on some elements used previously in the bands that are actually very welcome: the acoustic guitar and the distinctive and beautiful voice of Lee Douglas.

We started in Untouchable, pts. I and II. I think they are my favorite moments of the album. I really can not forget what is being done here! These two songs, although such opposite moods, complement each other brilliantly. Then we have another junction: the short but amazing The Gathering of Clouds (God, I really love those vocal harmonies!) And simple Lightning Song, sung by Lee Douglas. Then comes Sunlight, where the characteristic of "accumulation" is most evident, and so the first part of the album ends.

First part? Yes Like the previous album Weather Systems is divided into two distinct sections, and this one is more experimental. This is evident from the epic The Storm Before the Calm, my other favorite here. The first half clashes of the sound that the band has done in recent years: is a section Electronic / Gothic (do not know why but this reminds me Phideaux) and scary! However from the four-minute music changes the environment completely, to reveal a true song Anthema, epic as they never were. The next song is The Beginning and the End, the single from album, but I must say that what is here does not impress me, it's not a song neither good nor bad, nothing outstanding. The Lost Child and Internal Landscapes form the climax of the album, like Universal/Hindsight of WHBWH, but are more subtle in their intent, closing the album perfectly majestic.

Therefore, I can only give you a 5 star rating. Anathema is evolving more and more in his new sound, and I am a declared fan of what they are doing. With Weather Systems they only solidify its position as one of the best names in progressive rock / experimental in recent times.

I find it coherent, and the rating seems logical for him.

I wouldn't buy it, because i don't like Extreme Post Metal at all, but doesn't seem inappropriate or contrary to the guidelines.

Iván

Iván, you might want to try it.  It's not really metal at all.  No heavier than Porcupine Tree.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 01:32

Is this appropriate?  It was clearly written as a reaction to Karl (Bonnek's) review earlier today.

Weather Systems

Review by voliveira

Full review here.

That's quite ok, 1-star reviews can be expected to spur another batch of 5-stars.
I even considered giving it 2 stars just to avoid that, but that would be manipulative Smile, so I give it the full blow of my contempt.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 16:43
It can also be interpreted as in "Hey Anathema, someone decreased your average rating here with a bad rating but I hope you'll enjoy my honest five star, which will also improve on your average." I am tempted to read it like that rather than a retaliation review. 
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 23:06
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

It can also be interpreted as in "Hey Anathema, someone decreased your average rating here with a bad rating but I hope you'll enjoy my honest five star, which will also improve on your average." I am tempted to read it like that rather than a retaliation review. 

I think Ivan's review the other day has "made up" for any over-exuberance of that 5 star rating.  Smile

Seriously, as much as I disagree with Ivan's preferences regarding Weather Systems, I have to say that objectively most everything he says about the album is absolutely true.  It's just that I, and others, simply happen to like the qualities that he apparently does not!  I wouldn't call it a 5 star album, in any case, as We're Here Because We're Here is still better.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 23:51
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I think Ivan's review the other day has "made up" for any over-exuberance of that 5 star rating.  Smile

Seriously, as much as I disagree with Ivan's preferences regarding Weather Systems, I have to say that objectively most everything he says about the album is absolutely true.  It's just that I, and others, simply happen to like the qualities that he apparently does not!  I wouldn't call it a 5 star album, in any case, as We're Here Because We're Here is still better.

You owe me one Infocat LOL I bought the album because of your recommendation.

Now seriously, not a bad album, it's just that i find it incoherent with most of the reviews and the sound I expect from a Prog band, specially one classified as experimental..

I was in doubt between 2 and 3stars (As I say 2.5 would be perfect), but I already rated too many great albums with 3 stars and i don't believe Weather System is in that level.

Iván

EDIT: Thanks for your words, I always try to be fair and it's comforting that you noticed this  even if our tastes are so   different.on this album.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 12 2012 at 00:01

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 05:53
Confused Anathema are tagged Experimental Metal (sub category Art Metal if you read Alex and Kevin's excellent new Subgenre definition). Since artists have selfish and inconsiderate habit of changing styles through their career it is unreasonable to expect every album to be "experimental metal" - especially one that contains no metal whatsoever.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 10:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Confused Anathema are tagged Experimental Metal (sub category Art Metal if you read Alex and Kevin's excellent new Subgenre definition). Since artists have selfish and inconsiderate habit of changing styles through their career it is unreasonable to expect every album to be "experimental metal" - especially one that contains no metal whatsoever.

That doesn't change my opinion about it being excessively plain even for Crossover, honestly,I find no experimentation at all, it's just the old alternative/Indie formula with a few good moments.

I always thought you must say what you feel of the album.

Iván

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 10:49

That doesn't change my opinion about it being excessively plain even for Crossover, honestly,I find no experimentation at all, it's just the old alternative/Indie formula with a few good moments.

Iván

No problem with your review Ivan, just with your expectation that they should always be experimental just because we (not they) classify some of their albums as Experimental Metal ... not all their albums were a) metal or b) experimental or c) prog.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 10:53

Iván

No problem with your review Ivan, just with your expectation that they should always be experimental just because we (not they) classify some of their albums as Experimental Metal ... not all their albums were a) metal or b) experimental or c) prog.

The funny thing is that I expected nothing of Anathema, as a fact it's the first album I heard, but I was surprised to find such a simple album.

Iván

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 10:56
^ the complete lack of "metal" must have been a real puzzle then Wink
What?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 16:26

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

You owe me one Infocat LOL I bought the album because of your recommendation.

Now seriously, not a bad album, it's just that i find it incoherent with most of the reviews and the sound I expect from a Prog band, specially one classified as experimental..

I was in doubt between 2 and 3stars (As I say 2.5 would be perfect), but I already rated too many great albums with 3 stars and i don't believe Weather System is in that level.

Iván

EDIT: Thanks for your words, I always try to be fair and it's comforting that you noticed this  even if our tastes are so   different.on this album.

Oh!
The guilt I now feel!
Wink

Seriously, since you have bought it, I do hope you listen to it occasionally.  You may come to like it more.  I do wonder if the fact that it is apparently so highly regarded already, plus your expectation of "experimental", (or at least metal!) made you have some subconscious expectations that were not met.  I know that when I first got dredg Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy I had certain expectations that were not at all met, and I hated it.  (I'd never heard them prior to buying it.)  But after just a couple more listens I have come to love it.  Just not as a "prog" album!

Anyway, back to WS, I put it in the category of "atmospheric, melodic rock".  Progressive?  Well, I'm iffy on that.

I am honestly a bit surprised at the number of 5 star ratings it has gotten.  It's very good/great, but its not 5-star material.

Anyway...!

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
ProgShine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgShine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 10:00
Hey Hey guys, not a review really, but today I was about to add the new Circus Maximus album, Nine, but was on the DB already, BUT... there was a one star rating (to an album that will be released in 1st of June).

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1584

But odd enough, on the reviews/rating page: http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=37643
there's no rate on it. A bug maybe? Can someone take a look please?!
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 12:52
Originally posted by ProgShine ProgShine wrote:

Hey Hey guys, not a review really, but today I was about to add the new Circus Maximus album, Nine, but was on the DB already, BUT... there was a one star rating (to an album that will be released in 1st of June).

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1584

But odd enough, on the reviews/rating page: http://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=37643
there's no rate on it. A bug maybe? Can someone take a look please?!
I deleted one or two (well maybe one hundred thousand or so) bogus ratings by a lowlife cheating scum who opened multiple accounts to manipulate the ratings of thousands of albums using the "Instant Rating" feature of the site. Unfortunately the bulk-delete does not update the album stats, so even though the ratings have been deleted the old score still shows on each album page. Max is aware of this but so far has not fixed it. Each affected album will correct itself the next time someone rates it, so you can force a recalculation yourself if you have already rated the album by changing your rating and then changing it back again, but since so many albums are affected I doubt either method will work for all those screwed-up by this lowlife cheating scum.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 184185186187188 282>