Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 282>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 20:17
Lesson learned: To make people pay attention, just write a 1-star review Wink
Zoltanxvamos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoltanxvamos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 23:47
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Apparently it works very well, it wasn't my intention but somehow it worked
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoltanxvamos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 01:18
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Ok guys, lets chill. The point has been made and I think we can trust that Zoltan will approach his future reviews more analytically.  

Zoltan, the only other thing I would say about the re-writes: Don't address responses to your reviews within the review. Make it strictly about your response to the music. Keep discussion about other people's response to your reviews here in the forum. It will make your reviews a lot cleaner. 
And as far as your "All Traps" review: give the reader some examples to point out why you believe "All Traps" is just a retread of "Hybris". You are 100% entitled to your opinion. But a review is time to validate your opinion.  And thank you for addressing this head on.

Well, said Hypnotoad. And please do take more time to understand where an album is coming from. Many prog albums require a long period of listening to comprehend. I equate it to listening to a great movie in a foreign language. If you don't speak Russian for example then a great Russian cinematic classic will not connect with you. Learning the language of prog takes time but if you give an album a serious attempt and it still doesn't work for you, that's totally OK!

Well to be fair, I grew up in a house where Genesis and Yes, Anglagard and Wobbler was the norm. My father and I love prog more than anyone could even imagine, we put our blood, sweat and tears into making Antediluvian Euphonies, and it was all worth it. My father and I released an album I can look back at and say "I did that with my old man". Prog is in my blood and I wouldn't give up Prog for anything..

Well maybe some Pat Metheny albums haha.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 03:48
^ Now I don't understand how you didn't put yourself in the place of the musicians when you reviewed those albums. How would you feel if someone bashed the album you made with your father the way you did?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 04:10
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

As long as you're doing it for the right reasons, dude...

and trying to please and seeking approval from this nerdy, pseudo-elitist crowd is not one of them.

Definitely not worth the effort, if you ask me.

Mart, this is a public forum. Someone using it solely for their own inclination without regard to what others think is not the purpose of the forum and reviews page. If that's the case, then the reviewer could just write a review to God and put it in a drawer and forget about it. There's no need to post it here as that will serve the same purpose.

Edited by SteveG - May 08 2020 at 05:04
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 08:23
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

As long as you're doing it for the right reasons, dude...

and trying to please and seeking approval from this nerdy, pseudo-elitist crowd is not one of them.

Definitely not worth the effort, if you ask me.

I wouldn't even ask you if the Atlantic might qualify as 'moist' pilgrim. Those 'nerdy, pseudo elitists' cannot help but think this is the reason your substantive contribution to the site is 146 ratings only reviews and a blood curdling battle cry for surrender to futility. Articulating your own ideas is not for everyone.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 08:57

right, and I'm starting to think you could put anything in your review and people wouldn't notice, but make a sacred cow 1 star and everyone is up in arms.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 09:34
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

right, and I'm starting to think you could put anything in your review and people wouldn't notice, but make a sacred cow 1 star and everyone is up in arms.
Ken, is it too much to ask that when a reviewer deems an album to be utterly worthless that he or she has sound reasons for their view? Or just any reasons?

Edited by SteveG - May 08 2020 at 09:35
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoltanxvamos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 10:33
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Now I don't understand how you didn't put yourself in the place of the musicians when you reviewed those albums. How would you feel if someone bashed the album you made with your father the way you did?

To be honest, I don't care what people think of me, I don't want to seek someone's opinion on me, if someone likes what I do, fine, if someone doesn't, fine. Reviews on my music help me improve, and the effort I put into my craft will improve with criticism and hopefully I can take whatever criticism and turn it into a learning experience.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 11:01
^ You were asking how to improve your reviews and that's it basically. Write constructive criticism that helps the artist or a fellow Prog fan to discover new music.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 11:48
As a reminder, this is the Reviews Reporting thread. This is not where discussions should be taking place (yes, I know I have been guilty of carrying on discussion here myself). The reviews discussion thread can be found here>>> http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28344
Feel free to carry on the (civil) conversation there. Further posts here that are not review reports will be deleted.
hlouck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hlouck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 14:24
There is an error on this page "Nearfest 1994" should be "Progfest 1994".  Nearfest didn't start for another 5 years!
hlouck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hlouck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 14:37
There is an error in the Anekdoten biography - "Nearfest 1994" should be "Progfest 1994".  Nearfest didn't start for another 5 years!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 17:17
Please take artist and discography issues to the Errors and Omissions thread found here >>>> http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82726

This thread is specifically for reporting inappropriate album reviews.

Thank you. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 09:46
Other than rating the Kansas album that isn't out, i'm not sure if anything is rule breaking. But this profile is very uh... suspicious to say the least.

The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 09:49
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Other than rating the Kansas album that isn't out, i'm not sure if anything is rule breaking. But this profile is very uh... suspicious to say the least.

too many 5 stars ratings. All Kansas albums are 5 stars? It's either fanboyism or rating abuse. I am not sure. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 09:55
^ It looks like he just went through a bunch of artists and gave blanket 5 star ratings. I mean, he even gave Open Your Eyes 5 stars, that should be a ban worthy offense on its ownLOL
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 10:10
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ It looks like he just went through a bunch of artists and gave blanket 5 star ratings. I mean, he even gave Open Your Eyes 5 stars, that should be a ban worthy offense on its ownLOL

I don't know what's going on. Looks like rating abuse then. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 10:42
Oh thats just stupid
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 15:43
Hey admins. There are 3 ratings for the new Haken album "Virus" that has not been released. Could you please remove these ratings?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - May 28 2020 at 15:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 282>