Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews reporting thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 282>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 10:32
If this happens,  I might just try my hand at French reviews, given that it's my second language and I scored some pretty good grades in French literature classes.  I could use them for English albums and keep doing English reviews for French albums.  Tongue
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 00:54
There is a review on the front page at the moment for Gentle Giant’s debut where more than half of the review is not actually part of the review. I presume in order to make the required word count. But I really hope it’s not allowed, as it will set a precedent.

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 01:17
^ PMed the writer. Thanks for your report.

... Anyway mates, please move Reviews Discussion if you want to discuss. Thank you. Thumbs Up
IconoclasticBanter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IconoclasticBanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 00:07
I have lurked here for information for over a decade, which is irrelevant, but I did finally make an account to point out these two reviews. The main concern here is that the two writers are really just having a personal tussle in the member reviews section. Both of them could maybe just cut the pettiness out and leave the rest of the review serviceable, but as is, I don't think that kind of slapfight belongs in reviews.

The first one is more clearly a problem than the second, in terms of the degree to which it's just calling out another user. (As well as irrelevant other musicians?? And a quick glance through that user's profile shows they have a larger problem with writing this way often.) But I'd argue the second one is no less a problem, for two reasons:
1. With just a few seconds of reading between the lines, it's no less eye-rollingly catty. It's just manifesting that in a cagier way which is more likely to get around admin review. Maybe intentionally.
2. The only specific it mentions, and almost the review's only real takeaway, is a track called "Stony Days" which... isn't on the album. In fact it's a Derek Sherinian track, who the author clearly also knows of. Hard to tell quite what's going on there, but at base it's unclear whether the reviewer actually listened to the album in question; and if they did, even in part, there still wasn't enough attention paid to just scroll up the page and note that "Stony Days" is nowhere on the track listing.

Seems like a grey area in some ways, and things get tougher in that neither reviewer seems to have popped up in the last three or more years. But I thought I'd mention them.

Edited by IconoclasticBanter - June 24 2021 at 00:12
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 09:54
I dunno bout you but IMHO this review makes no sense.
http://www.progarchives.com/review.asp?id=2574701
It appears to be an awkward ramble about progressive rock and only briefly mentions the subject material. I don't think the author even brings up a single point about the album.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 13:06
^ It reads as complete rhubarb, and as stated doesn't mention the qualities of the album. Needs removing IMO.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 13:10
^ Too bad, it's a fairly colorful & informed diatribe.   But yes, it's out of context.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 13:17
Their other reviews aren't much better either and a newbie too.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 07:17
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I dunno bout you but IMHO this review makes no sense.
http://www.progarchives.com/review.asp?id=2574701
It appears to be an awkward ramble about progressive rock and only briefly mentions the subject material. I don't think the author even brings up a single point about the album.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the author of this strange "review" is the artist himself!

And he just added 7 albums to his own discography. But look at them... what a mess!!

Should we stop him??
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 08:02
^ I think it's rather a task for Admins.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 08:35
I noticed that as well. He just appears to be ranting about the review process and by implication how it can affect people’s perception of his music
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 08:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 08:52
^ Neither of which make any sense.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 00:14
^ And another rubbish review: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2575286

Basically just adding the song titles and musician credits to up the word count, I guess?

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 02:26
Sent him an email (he's not active actually).
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2021 at 07:27
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=207801

This just is not a review, this is an unhinged rampage complaining about the albums short length, he didn’t even get the length of the album right either

Edited by dougmcauliffe - July 01 2021 at 07:28
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Duddick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 02:29
 http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=73747

This person only seems to review progressive metal albums yet has given 1 star ratings to several lps that are clearly not 1star - Maxaphone, land of Grey & Pink etc  whether you like them or not they are clearly not 1 star
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 02:31
Originally posted by Duddick Duddick wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=73747

This person only seems to review progressive metal albums yet has given 1 star ratings to several lps that are clearly not 1star - Maxaphone, land of Grey & Pink etc  whether you like them or not they are clearly not 1 star

that would be rating abuse, may be an admin need to get in touch with him. Confused
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 03:19
Speaking of that person's reviews. Check this out. xD It's pretty bad.
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2575790
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2021 at 07:06
A lot of those albums also appear in succession in the charts which is weird. Imagine giving Maxophone 1 star anyways lol. Yeah I have to say, many of his reviews are barely passable. So many people who review Close to the Edge are very lazy about it with the whole "other reviews have said enough about the tracks already...." but he took it to a new level on his most recent one.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 282>