Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 08:52
Just a random thought. Is it ok to give an album a glowing, positive review but rate it 1/5 stars numerically just to "rock the average votes"? What do you think?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 08:57
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Just a random thought. Is it ok to give an album a glowing, positive review but rate it 1/5 stars numerically just to "rock the average votes"? What do you think?

no, it's not ok.
Can you post the link, let's see what's it all about. 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 09:30
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

no, it's not ok.
Can you post the link, let's see what's it all about. 

There is no link. Yet. I'm asking out of curiosity.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 04:43
I put this in the Reviews Reporting thread elsewhere but I'm not sure if it's been noted. There is a review of a DVD Camel Live At The Royal Albert Hall, posted on 6th April, which is actually a review of the Mirage studio album. Is it possible for an administrator to cut and paste the text under the correct album?
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 18:53
This is a joke? Who the fuсk gave this reviewer a SPECIAL COLLABORATOR status????

Edited by Hrychu - June 06 2023 at 18:54
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 19:02

This is a joke? Who the fuсk gave this reviewer a SPECIAL COLLABORATOR status????

Keep in mind that the review came out in 2007, when review standards weren't the same as they are now - not to mention the fact that the reviewer likely wasn't a collaborator back then. 

Then again, it looks like a lot of his more recent reviews are pretty short and lacking in detail as well... so who knows, I guess LOL
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 19:04
Anyway, the review is a one big blanket statement. I think admins should finally stop being so nostalgic and flush down a lot of these old reviews down the toilet. B)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 19:21
^^^ That's really rude and abrasive, and is more of a concern to me than that review. An older admin might have flushed the complainer down the toilet.

I think he might have been a collab back then, but he was chosen to be a collab due to his team work, not because of his reviewing prowess. I could remove that one but we do have many such cases and the only relatively easy way to deal then with such stuff is to batch delete (one by one takes time). Frankly, the rude and aggressive tone makes me less willing to take action. And it's true that the standards changed.

To those who complain, ask yourself what value and work ethic you have brought to the site.

Edited by Logan - June 06 2023 at 19:28
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 19:21
LOL   Good old Marek Czyszy sure added his thoughts to that one  --
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 19:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

And it's true that the standards changed.

Exactly. If anyone saw my old reviews from 2008-2009, they'd probably wince a bit LOL
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 21:35

^^^ That's really rude and abrasive, and is more of a concern to me than that review. An older admin might have flushed the complainer down the toilet.

I think he might have been a collab back then, but he was chosen to be a collab due to his team work, not because of his reviewing prowess. I could remove that one but we do have many such cases and the only relatively easy way to deal then with such stuff is to batch delete (one by one takes time). Frankly, the rude and aggressive tone makes me less willing to take action. And it's true that the standards changed.

To those who complain, ask yourself what value and work ethic you have brought to the site.

Maybe my choice of words was a bit harsh. I'm sorry.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 00:26
^ More than bit ;) Not to worry.

It's not much of a review of course, and even by the standards, just sufficient. I actually like reading very short commentaries quite often, especially when reading through a lot of them, but that is on the lacking side. In the early years it was common to have really short commentary type reviews, and I actually think that is better than a lot I saw. I'm okay with it especially as but one review of four (unless it's on the from page, if I'm interested to read the reviews then I rarely would read just the one review). I don't have much issue with it beyond lacking much content -- it's a   review that I would put in the eminently ignorable and easily forgotten category.

What M@x perhaps could do if he doesn't want such minimal reviews to show up is to up the word limit for the ones that are visible (100 words may be too little). So that would not even show up. Then we could focus more on those ones that are considered abusive like, from the reviews guidelines (ones that break this rule are the ones we commonly are harshest with) :

"4 - Write in an intelligent and considerate manner. Rude or insulting language (including blatant vulgarity) will not be tolerated! Show respect for other reviewers, readers, the artists, and the CD and song titles. Do not belittle reviews posted by others, their opinions are as welcome and valid as yours. It is generally best to avoid commenting on other reviews altogether.
The following are examples of phrases which should NOT appear in reviews: "Reviewer Joe Smith is stupid for saying that...", "Anyone who doesn't like this album is an idiot", "The band which made this album is rubbish", etc."

From HERE

Of course that specifically is about submitting reviews, not comments on reviews in this thread in case anyone takes it that way. Although one can relate that to forum expectations.

Edited by Logan - June 07 2023 at 00:30
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 00:31
Back when I first joined PA I loved reading and writing lengthy reviews. Nowadays I have a much more busy "real" life, and I rarely have the time to read a lengthy review, let alone write one. As a result, I'm trying to get good at writing short and useful comments.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 00:35
^ I commonly write far too much, and I do value brevity.

"To use many words to communicate few thoughts is everywhere the unmistakable sign of mediocrity. To gather much thought into few words stamps the man of genius" (Arthur Schopenhauer).
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 01:10
Getting back into reviewing, after a long hiatus. How does this look in terms of reviewing standards at PA? https://tagyourmusic.org/release-comments/591018
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 01:24
^ I think that's fine by PA standards. I like it, it's short and to the point. I don't have the patience I once did. I have just joined rateyourmusic again, rated one album a 4.5. Most ratings there were not as generous despite it being a high-ranked album. I wrote a few reviews at your site long ago, Guapo ones at least. They took me quite little time to write, but I was happier with the results than with some here where I took much, much longer to write (not that I wrote many). What I often look for specifically in reviews are things like favourite tracks, similar albums, related artists.... And if one believes that it's a very poor album, I want to know which seems worst. I actually am a very detail oriented person, but I also like pithy.

Edited by Logan - June 07 2023 at 01:27
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 01:33
Speaking as someone who frankly couldn't review their way out of a paper bag, I very much appreciate reading the reviews here and spend time doing so.

One of my favourite reviewers here as an initial 'go to' was Bob McBeath (Easy Livin') as he was always to the point, economical with words and often fairly accurate in his assessment of a release. He doesn't talk subjectively about his relationship with the band, give their history or an account of their discography; he gets right to the point. If I'm really interested in several views of a specific album, there are other very good reviewers who will give more elongated opinions of interest, which I'll dive into, but a reviewer who can get the the heart within 4 paragraphs is a great asset...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 01:45
^ Ah, yes Easy Livin wrote one of my all-time favourite reviews in PA despite, or more because of actually, me disagreeing with it in so many ways. It is for Soft Machine's Third which he gave one star.

Quote 1 stars Turds

So what's all the fuss about then? I have to admit up front that trad jazz (along with rap) is about the only type of music I just do not like.

I first heard this album in the early 70's and thought it was dreadful. My tastes have "matured" somewhat since then, so I bought the album on CD thinking that I must have missed something way back then. Unfortunately, I hadn't, it's still dreadful.

Setting aside "Moon in June" for the moment, there is nothing remotely musical here. All there is rambling free form jazz, with no form or structure. It's hard to tell at times whether any of the band are actually capable of playing their instruments, so disjointed is the overall sound. "Moon in June" does have suggestions of a tune. It would be an exaggeration to call it the best track, it's not really good enough to warrant such an accolade, but it is better than the others.

Soft Machine are usually branded as part of the Canterbury sound, but to do so is a gross insult to the likes of Caravan and Camel.

I do like humour in reviews, and it is a very funny one to me. It doesn't matter that I rank it very high.

Edited by Logan - June 07 2023 at 01:46
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 02:16

^ Ah, yes Easy Livin wrote one of my all-time favourite reviews in PA despite, or more because of actually, me disagreeing with it in so many ways. It is for Soft Machine's Third which he gave one star.

Quote 1 stars Turds

So what's all the fuss about then? I have to admit up front that trad jazz (along with rap) is about the only type of music I just do not like.

I first heard this album in the early 70's and thought it was dreadful. My tastes have "matured" somewhat since then, so I bought the album on CD thinking that I must have missed something way back then. Unfortunately, I hadn't, it's still dreadful.

Setting aside "Moon in June" for the moment, there is nothing remotely musical here. All there is rambling free form jazz, with no form or structure. It's hard to tell at times whether any of the band are actually capable of playing their instruments, so disjointed is the overall sound. "Moon in June" does have suggestions of a tune. It would be an exaggeration to call it the best track, it's not really good enough to warrant such an accolade, but it is better than the others.

Soft Machine are usually branded as part of the Canterbury sound, but to do so is a gross insult to the likes of Caravan and Camel.

I do like humour in reviews, and it is a very funny one to me. It doesn't matter that I rank it very high.

Goodness, that has actually taken me aback; it's simply the most un-Bob like review I've ever seen!  Embarrassed

His tastes were quite broad (he really liked Rhapsody too!) but I can imagine this would lay outside his purview. I must admit, I have also tried with SM and failed to appreciate them; that said, if I disliked a group as much as this, I would have refrained from reviewing, feeling I'm not best placed to do so... Confused
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2023 at 04:24
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

And it's true that the standards changed.

Exactly. If anyone saw my old reviews from 2008-2009, they'd probably wince a bit LOL

Yeah, me too. When I started reviewing on PA I began with the more popular prog bands and since they typically already had dozens to hundreds of reviews I didn't feel the need to give a detailed review. My opinions of many of those albums have changed too, but alas I have little time to rewrite any of them. I don't remember when I was upgraded to a Prog Reviewer, but apparently they weren't as badly written as I think they are now.

If this site is still here when I retire, I'm hoping to have more time to review a lot of the obscure stuff in my collection. I think I've only written like four reviews in the last three years and there was a big gap of nothing between 2013 and 2020.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181>