Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 178179180181>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:15
AlainPP's proficiency in writing in English goes back and forth from good to bad between reviews. That really bugs me. xD
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:16
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

AlainPP's proficiency in writing in English goes back and forth from good to bad between reviews. That really bugs me. xD

I think several people handle that account. Confused
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:17
Or maybe he uses ChatGPT + machine translation sometimes and sometimes not?
BTW, is writing reviews using ChatGPT allowed on PA?

Edited by Hrychu - December 11 2023 at 10:18
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 10:21

Or maybe he uses ChatGPT + machine translation sometimes and sometimes not?

I don't think so.
A couple of years ago, he suggested a couple of bands, in a very broken written English, with apologies. 
A few days later, a perfectly written review showed up with his name to it. 

Edited by Cristi - December 11 2023 at 10:22
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2023 at 21:08
OK. I'm gonna be 100% honest now. I didn't like Himlabacken Vol. 2 that much. I think the compositions are quite watered-down compared to the band's previous material and that the classic Moon Safari techniques simply don't work when they're constantly interrupted by that hard to describe plasticky Bon Jovi prog-on-the-verge-of-prog-metal sound.

http://www.progarchives.com/review.asp?id=2973810

But this (obviously rushed) review doesn't justify the 1 star rating at all IMO.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2023 at 00:10
^ Disagree with the review and the rating, but that's what platforms like PA and AP (or RYM) are there for ... we don't all need to share the same opinion.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2023 at 00:42

OK. I'm gonna be 100% honest now. I didn't like Himlabacken Vol. 2 that much. I think the compositions are quite watered-down compared to the band's previous material and that the classic Moon Safari techniques simply don't work when they're constantly interrupted by that hard to describe plasticky Bon Jovi prog-on-the-verge-of-prog-metal sound.

But this (obviously rushed) review doesn't justify the 1 star rating at all IMO.

I think that's that user's style. His reviews look like rants. His reviews have been under scrutiny before. You can question the writing style, it's poorly written and so on, but I don't think it's abusive. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2023 at 04:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I think that's that user's style. His reviews look like rants. His reviews have been under scrutiny before. You can question the writing style, it's poorly written and so on, but I don't think it's abusive. 

yep but it's not objectively so bad it warrants 1 stars. Fans will like it and buy it. 2 stars is correct imo for the comments. However I'm equally guilty of either adding or deducting a star on occasion when it suits me for 'tactical' reasons! If he hates it that much then maybe okay. My first listen was difficult to say the least so I can understand why some have taken it as an 'affront' . It's certainly as cheesy as hell! 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2023 at 04:45
^ I think it's awesome. I guess that some people get annoyed by the fact that it's not even trying to re-invent the wheel, while others do not care and focus on other aspects.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2023 at 06:12

The author gives 1 star because it's "regressive" music. Yet gives 5 stars to the new Amoeba Split (Soft Machine clone) or the new Zopp (Caravan clone). Reviewers logic is flawed.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2023 at 06:15
^ It's just very selective logic. LOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2023 at 07:56
I don't think it's correct to think that the what's in the review determines the star rating. Much of how much I like (or hate) an album is emotional and hard to explain. I can't write everything down that is relevant to my star rating, and some reviews leave out quite a bit. I don't think "the review is a two star review so two stars should be given" is a valid criticism. OK if a review is all positive and somebody gives 1 star one could suspect that the person didn't click what they wanted or didn't understand the system, but other than that, pretty much all stars go with all reviews.  
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 08:25
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I have no sacred cows. Anyone can dislike any album they want. But this "review", to put it in the reviewers own terms, is "as if someone took some cool twenty word review and extended it in order to get 100 words and qualify as a review".

I was just about to write in the thread about that same "review"... What the hell is this doing on the website? I'm sorry but it's pure cowsh*t and being the only actual "written review" by the user (apart from that he has assigned some ratings to albums) it could probably be removed.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 08:36
^ I wouldn't think of the Close to the Edge review as abusive, and don't think it needs dealing with. I wonder if it seems much less problematic to me because I hold Close to the Edge in low regard?   Important to acknowledge one's biases.

Edited by Logan - January 12 2024 at 08:38
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 08:40
It's not a great review for sure, but since when is that the bar?

AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 09:28
It's subjective isn't it? There are prog albums that most people rave about on here, for instance, that I just can't see the appeal. Relayer, ITCOTCK, Selling England By The Pound, to name just three.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 09:57
One's appreciation is subjective, but I take issue when people make questionable claims about art and other things that may be "personal truth" but lack objective merits. For abuse, we have a set of guidelines and try to follow those criteria when evaluating the reviews (but subjectivity comes into play then too). Poor reviews are allowed as long as they are not considered abusive. If someone makes verifiably erroneous claims, then I think the reviewer should be contacted to correct those. if those claims are deemed abusive according to one's interpretation of the guidelines, then summary execution may occur.

I'll quote each paragraph.

Quote Sorry to everyone who claims that this album should be liked by everyone who calls themselves a prog listener, as I didn't like it at all. I have listened to the entire album and it felt like if I was listening to a 3h album, even tho it's just one hour long...

I have heard that claim from people. I also feel that the album feels really long for a short album. I have rarely managed to make it all the way through, and I have been trying now and then since the 80s.   This may be seen as off from me since I can enjoy lots of repetition, droning, and really long tracks that others find thoroughly tedious/ boring (Swans being an example).   To each his or her own tastes.

Quote The album was extremely boring, as if someone took some cool two minutes songs and extended them in order to get two 10 minute songs, Siberia and You and I. It also sounded mediocre, as if instead of YES, some garage band was playing.

Yep, I find it boring, probably not as boring. And it does strike me as mediocre. I like the opening, But that;s just my experience, doesn't mean I think others should feel the same way, It has seemed odd to me that this, to my ears, very mediocre albums does get hyped as much as it has been. But live and let live. I won't tell others that they should not like it and I would rather others not tell me (or a general we) that I should like it. People have.

Quote Overall, I didn't like the album, maybe it's not the kind of prog I'm used to listening, usually fast prog, and I may like it in the future, in that case I'll come back and edit the review.

Fair enough.

The review could be more detailed, I think it's more along the lines of the quality of a pretty fine forum post, but I don't see that it meets the standards of being reported as abuse. More one for the Reviews discussion topic, imo. PA does not have high standards except when it comes to official Prog Reviewers, and I have seen poorer than this from some in the early years. And I have seen longer reviews with even less substance.

Calling it "pure cowsh*t" seems like bullsh*t (or hyperbole) to me based on my experiences. I prefer clownsh*t personally. And I don't get what the reasoning/ inferences would be behind asking what the hell is it doing here. Members can submit reviews, good, bad, mediocre. And commonly it's healthy to have a variety of opinions on albums on display else.

Different perspectives. Might want to address these ideas in more depth in the Reviews Discussion thread to better understand each other's thought processes. Maybe I'm being thick (as a brick).

Edited by Logan - January 12 2024 at 10:03
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 09:57
It's a very incompetent review (plus even more arrogant and badly written than Sean Trane's Flower Kings reviews circa 2004 which is quite an achievement) but not abusive.

I'm talking about those old Sean Trane reviews that were very poorly written. For example this one:
Quote I had a chance to pick up this album for the equiv of 5 ? about 8 years ago ,but the shop owner told me that if I had to listen to it , it would be full price. Needless to say I asked to listen to it , and did not buy it because of their name and everything it implied: Genesis Clowns (not spling mstak there, sir) . So the only way, I 'could've picked this up was to find a poor sod to buy it for triple that amount (no way I could make a gift of this album, my friends would take it as an insult from me) or give to Goodwill or Salvation Army for Tax refund - but let's stay human with the needy - give them chritmas albums so theydo not revolt against us , the elite of music.

I think that this has been a real long week and I will head for the woods....... As for the music, if you don't mind clowns/clones.......
Wow! Special Collaborator, huh? In name only. xD But to be frank, he did redeem himself years later and his reviews had improved. So let's give samirigon a chance and wait. Time will tell!

Edited by Hrychu - January 12 2024 at 10:04
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 10:06
Does primarily stating in the review that the album is boring and that the reviewer doesn't like it actually constitute a critique of the album? I thought that was the basis for a review.  Confused 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 10:10
^ That's fair. It's not a proper review as it is not a critical assessment of the album, but merely a short opinion piece.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 178179180181>