Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 10:10
Yeah. What I'm saying is that those reviews suck on a stylistic level. But we all start somewhere, don't we!
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 10:22
yeah, there are certainly ways you could review CTTE as a mediocre album that would be more credible than this one but in the grand scheme of things it won't move the needle, and peoples' reviews do tend improve over time 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 11:10
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Yeah. What I'm saying is that those reviews suck on a stylistic level. But we all start somewhere, don't we!
Yes, we all have to start somewhere, but not from the bottom of the barrel.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 12:01
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I have no sacred cows. Anyone can dislike any album they want. But this "review", to put it in the reviewers own terms, is "a<span style="font-family: " Sans", Arial, sans-serif;">s if someone took some cool twenty word review and extended it in order to get 100 words and qualify as a review".</span>

It’s acceptable to me. Inexperienced as the reviewer may be, it sounds like a genuine opinion. Cute how almost every song title is not spelled correctly
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 12:41
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I have no sacred cows. Anyone can dislike any album they want. But this "review", to put it in the reviewers own terms, is "a<span style="font-family: " Sans", Arial, sans-serif;">s if someone took some cool twenty word review and extended it in order to get 100 words and qualify as a review".</span>

It’s acceptable to me. Inexperienced as the reviewer may be, it sounds like a genuine opinion. Cute how almost every song title is not spelled correctly
That in itself should disqualify the review! LOL
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 12:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

One's appreciation is subjective, but I take issue when people make questionable claims about art and other things that may be "personal truth" but lack objective merits. For abuse, we have a set of guidelines and try to follow those criteria when evaluating the reviews (but subjectivity comes into play then too). Poor reviews are allowed as long as they are not considered abusive. If someone makes verifiably erroneous claims, then I think the reviewer should be contacted to correct those. if those claims are deemed abusive according to one's interpretation of the guidelines, then summary execution may occur.

I'll quote each paragraph.

Quote Sorry to everyone who claims that this album should be liked by everyone who calls themselves a prog listener, as I didn't like it at all.
Right off the bat the writer's thesis is a passive-aggressive umbrage to some perceived injustice from "everyone who calls themselves a prog listener". That tells me that this is not coming from any place of actual album critique, but rebuttal to the prog populists. Its at best disingenuous keyboard dump to get to 100 words to "get my opinion on the front page". 

I have listened to the entire album and it felt like if I was listening to a 3h album, even tho it's just one hour long...

I have heard that claim from people. I also feel that the album feels really long for a short album. I have rarely managed to make it all the way through, and I have been trying now and then since the 80s.   This may be seen as off from me since I can enjoy lots of repetition, droning, and really long tracks that others find thoroughly tedious/ boring (Swans being an example).  To each his or her own tastes.

I thought I made it clear that I don't care whether someone likes or dislikes the album. That is not the substance of the issue here.

I have no sacred cows. Anyone can dislike any album they want. But this "review", to put it in the reviewers own terms, is "as if someone took some cool twenty word review and extended it in order to get 100 words and qualify as a review".

Personally, It's probably been 15-20 years since I listened to this album on purpose. I find studio Yes to be thin and boxy. If I want to hear this material I put on Yessongs.  

As far as the opinion that it's filler, I have the same opinion of TFTO (with backup from Rick Wakeman himself I might add), Hemispheres, and every moment of everything I have heard from IQ. But if I intend to review it, it won't be prefaced with a thinly veiled shot at the fans of the material. Review guideline #4 addresses this. Yeah, he didn't say directly, "f**k all you guys who like it", but he kind of did. 

Quote The album was extremely boring, as if someone took some cool two minutes songs and extended them in order to get two 10 minute songs, Siberia and You and I. It also sounded mediocre, as if instead of YES, some garage band was playing.

Yep, I find it boring, probably not as boring. And it does strike me as mediocre. I like the opening, But that;s just my experience, doesn't mean I think others should feel the same way, It has seemed odd to me that this, to my ears, very mediocre albums does get hyped as much as it has been. But live and let live. I won't tell others that they should not like it and I would rather others not tell me (or a general we) that I should like it. People have.

Quote Overall, I didn't like the album, maybe it's not the kind of prog I'm used to listening, usually fast prog, and I may like it in the future, in that case I'll come back and edit the review.

Fair enough.

The review could be more detailed, I think it's more along the lines of the quality of a pretty fine forum post, but I don't see that it meets the standards of being reported as abuse.  More one for the Reviews discussion topic, imo. PA does not have high standards except when it comes to official Prog Reviewers, and I have seen poorer than this from some in the early years. And I have seen longer reviews with even less substance.

Calling it "pure cowsh*t" seems like bullsh*t (or hyperbole) to me based on my experiences. 

Nah! Nikola did rather well at calling a spade a spade. His review of the review is easily as valid as the review. Hyperbole would be, "reviews like this make the entire front page look like a flaming outhouse!"  

I prefer clownsh*t personally. And I don't get what the reasoning/ inferences would be behind asking what the hell is it doing here. Members can submit reviews, good, bad, mediocre. And commonly it's healthy to have a variety of opinions on albums on display else.

Again, the opinion isn't the issue. There is nothing, zero, nada that tells me that the writer actually listened to the album. Is that not a minimum requirement?

Different perspectives. Might want to address these ideas in more depth in the Reviews Discussion thread to better understand each other's thought processes. Maybe I'm being thick (as a brick).

And so I did. 
I left the fold and maybe I shouldn't give a crap about stuff like this. But when I see this nonsense as the first entry on the front page, it does nothing but make me cringe at what someone who is visiting the site for the first time must think.  

Edited by Tapfret - January 12 2024 at 12:47
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 13:51
It's not a formal review or even a proper review as it's not a critical assessment of the album, but instead it's a short opinion piece. Maybe it should go as it is reactionary. I read your post, it's short. I responded more to Nikola's post and whether it is indeed pure cowsh*t, as well as generally from whatever angle interested me. In my vernacular, that refers to actual cow dung and erroneous, nonsense claims and opinions, commonly intended to mislead.   I looked at the review to see what I consider to be bullsh*t from my perspective.

So one could take this, or not, which I never meant to imply was the substance of your issue:

"Sorry to everyone who claims that this album should be liked by everyone who calls themselves a prog listener, as I didn't like it at all. I have listened to the entire album and it felt like if I was listening to a 3h album, even tho it's just one hour long..."

Now if I had good reason that no one had every claimed that, then I would be more likely think of the whole piece as horsesh*t. But I know firsthand that people have claimed this. Nickola might have meant it in a different way, but I had my interpretation. Successfully communicating ideas, especially nuanced ones, can be tough. And that's the beauty of conversation as one can clarify points and develop ideas along the way provided it is not hostile and people are open-minded (since otherwise two-way communication becomes harder).

I'll leave other admin to decide if it breaks the rules, but while problematic I don't think it requires action at this time. I also would not be upset to see it gone, My mind might change on an another inspection or based on other arguments, but it's not just my decision, of course. And I am not as into that side of things as some others. The forums are my happy place here usually,

Edited by Logan - January 12 2024 at 13:52
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 15:02
If the writer had not been so plaintive about what "People have said" and so apologetic about their 'rebellious' stance, it could've been an okay if acerbic & amateurish review.   It's their adolescent attitude with all the "sorry I don't like what other prog fans like" stuff.   Don't qualify, don't apologize.   

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 15:10

But when I see this nonsense as the first entry on the front page, it does nothing but make me cringe at what someone who is visiting the site for the first time must think.  

That someone will see that it's one uninformed reviewer among many. The review will soon be gone from the front page, and on the release page it will only be in the sidebar. I don't think it harms the reputation of the website in any way.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 16:11
^I look back on my older reviews and cringe, so perhaps this will happen with this reviewer
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2024 at 16:13
^ That's why I rarely look back on my old reviews Wink
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 15:50
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

You'd be surprised how many people start from the bottom and later get to the very top! :)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 17:36
^ very true
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2024 at 20:13

You'd be surprised how many people start from the bottom and later get to the very top! :)

Those that do tend to have a little tough love along the way.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 06:32

I'll say it again. This 'review' is not a critique of the album's music but a long opinion piece. We get it. He thinks the album sucks. He could have said that in a five word sentence. It's not the negative opinions. He could have said that the album was great in a five word sentence too, with the same outcome. That makes this review below the bottom of the barrel.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 07:00
^ All good reviews are to a large extent opinion pieces. I'd say that all good reviews also contain some factual information about the music, e.g. who some of the musicians are, how the tracks are structured, where the music was recorded, interesting anekdotes and so forth.

But like I said, that's "good" reviews. This one is not so good. But I fail to see why that is a problem. On a platform for prog music reviews there should be good, bad and in-between reviews.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 08:01
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ All good reviews are to a large extent opinion pieces. I'd say that all good reviews also contain some factual information about the music, e.g. who some of the musicians are, how the tracks are structured, where the music was recorded, interesting anekdotes and so forth.

But like I said, that's "good" reviews. This one is not so good. But I fail to see why that is a problem. On a platform for prog music reviews there should be good, bad and in-between reviews.
A negative opinion could sometimes detail repetition of songs from one album or another, more simplistic music structures or lack of input from certain band members as compared to previous albums, poor song writing, inane lyrics, etc., etc., as just a few examples. I don't see any of that here. But not to flog this horse any further, I'll let it go at that.

Edited by SteveG - January 18 2024 at 08:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181