Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlocking users rather than threads?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blocking users rather than threads?
    Posted: September 10 2006 at 07:35
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28371

This thread was closed because some people lost their temper on saturday evening - even though the discussion in the first few hours seemed to be going somewhere interesting. Too bad...

Wouldn't it be useful to have a mechanism to temporary block abusive forum users, rather than closing a thread for everyone else as well?

Just an idea....

Angelo
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 07:41

Another idea would be to block users who ruin the site the site with pathetic inclusions.

Do you see these bands into serious sites such as gepr and others? That's why we loose our temper.

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 07:52
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Another idea would be to block users who ruin the site the site with pathetic inclusions.

Do you see these bands into serious sites such as gepr and others? That's why we loose our temper.

Let's not continue the 'discussion' here.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 07:56
I don't think I have to justify my actions, but as this is the second thread on the subject, I'll just say that I have my reasons for doing what I did.

As to blocking people who do those "pathetic inclusions", I would like to remind you that no one adding anything without following the correct procedure. The same is true for practically every entry in the PA database of bands and artists. Then, as far as GEPR or other sites are concerned, I use them regularly for our teamwork, and I can assure you those bands you so much hate are present. GEPR has both Opeth and Death, and ProgGnosis includes about twice as many bands than the ones we have - Metal and otherwise. So, please, be sure to check your facts before you attack people this way.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 08:12
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I don't think I have to justify my actions, but as this is the second thread on the subject, I'll just say that I have my reasons for doing what I did.

That I don't doubt - I saw what happened. Feel free to close this thread - as I indicated on the other (earlier) one.
I just wish there was a way to continue a discussion without ending up in a closed thread (either blocking people who are impolite, or better yet, everybody being and staying polite). I was not in the discussion in order to debate inclusion or exclusion, but rather to get a better understanding of what is and what is not prog, in the context of metal.

Lessons learned so far:
1) to prog or not to prog in metal is a subject of much debate Clap
2) PA is filled with and by humans, and like all humans we have a hard time seperating form and contentCry Wink

Edited by Angelo - September 10 2006 at 08:14
ISKC Rock Radio
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 12:04
The admin team have a number of options available, including closing threads, deleting threads, deleting specific posts, hiding posts or threads, suspending members, etc.

We use all these tools as we think most appropriate to the situation. Usually a thread will be closed if we think it has gone beyond being savable.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 12:11
^ I guess that if a thread which contained good discussion gets permanently closed because of abuse "beyond salvation" there should be some kind of punishment for the abusers. After all - their goal was to destroy the thread, and closing it is in fact a reward for the abuser, and a punishment for the other members.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 12:52
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ I guess that if a thread which contained good discussion gets permanently closed because of abuse "beyond salvation" there should be some kind of punishment for the abusers. After all - their goal was to destroy the thread, and closing it is in fact a reward for the abuser, and a punishment for the other members.

It'd be easier if after the first flammable post other posters simply ignore the abuser and also report the abusive post to the Moderation. To delete or hide a couple of posts is no problem but when the thread goes into a turmoil the only option is its closing.
Guigo

~~~~~~
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 12:57
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

It'd be easier if after the first flammable post other posters simply ignore the abuser and also report the abusive post to the Moderation. To delete or hide a couple of posts is no problem but when the thread goes into a turmoil the only option is its closing.

Sure, I'm guilty of that (I responded to the word "pighead" with a gigantic Dead emoticon).Embarrassed
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 13:42

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Sure, I'm guilty of that (I responded to the word "pighead" with a gigantic Dead emoticon).Embarrassed

ShockedWink
Guigo

~~~~~~
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 14:49
It's quite likely that sort of action would be taken Mike, but it's usually done by PM, not publicly.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 14:56
^ of course ... but I guess in a public forum there's always someone who "feeds the troll", it's unlikely that all "nice" users wait for the admin to sort it out while the troll's offensive comments remain in that thread.

Still, you have to try!
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 15:07
There's actually a suprisingly low amount of trolls in here compared to other forums. Let's keep it that way. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply