Topic ClosedConcert memories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concert memories
    Posted: January 04 2005 at 11:30

What about sharing some concert memories(in front and backstage)? This one is up to now my favourite concert. It was my second concert,and a brother of a friend of mine ,who was a Cello player took me with him. the place was not sold out but mainly GG fans. The support act was Banco I'd haven't heard before. The singer was (and is) really impressing (his voice and his physics). After Banco the stage manager said that GG were going to come a little later, because they were taping the show for a future release of a life record(Playing the fool and on the Glasshouse rerelease there is a track of this show) The GG shows were always a little special, because there were so many fans giving the band instant feedback. The band felt this and played like hell. What you can't feel on the DVD is the pure energie they created on stage. It was the only time I felt such good vibes in a concert!

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 11:43

Ooh, We get to prattle on to all the youngsters about how prog was better in my day and all these upstarts on the scene now are no match for the 'old' bands. Did you know I could go out, have a meal, see THREE prog bands, get drunk, pick up a whore, spend a night in Kenya, hire a Harrier Jumpjet to get home and STILL have change from a fiver...

Actually, I did see a three prog band bill once. At the Apollo (in Victoria - London), I saw Soltice, Pallas and Tillogy and 'twas a bloody good evening. Not very well attended mind you but we were on the downslide of the big Prog boom during the early 80's. I saw Twelfth Night a few weeks later and they were excellent too. I just wish I had seen them with Geoff Mann, that would have been a sight to see.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 13:43

I saw TN without Geoff Man (before he joined) in 1979 at the Target club in Reading, where they were recording an album (Live at the Target).

I next saw them at Reading's festival in 1982 with Geoff, where they were superb (I have a tape of that gig somewhere...).

The last time I saw them was in 1983 at the Marquee in London where they were recording another live album (Live and Let Live) - so you can hear me whooping on both their live albums

Currently I'm trying to persuade Brian Devoil to play drums on some of the music I've written (I'm in regular email contact with him), and I had an email from Andy Revell, who's currently living in Spain...

Edited by Certif1ed
silvertree View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 14:00

Hello

I haven't any experience of concerts in the 70s because I was too young then.

But I have seen some unique ones : Jean-Michel Jarre in concert In Houston back in 85 I think and also at La Défense in 89 (?). There was approxiamately 1 million people at that concert...

I also saw Pink Floyd at the Chateau de Versailles for their Momentarary Lapse of Reason tour.

I also saw Magma, Pendragon and a smaller French band called Versailles.

Not much of an experience but some of these concerts are unforgettable.

Jean-Francois

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 14:01

Every 100 or so ELP shows I've seen over the last 30 years

THIS IS ELP
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 14:19

Any concert memories that dont involve sex with the Headliners?

Wink

Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 14:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 14:29

Evil Smile Maybe if the Thread Title was changed to...

Concert Mammaries.....................Thumbs Up

LOL

asuma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 16:07
the only band that is somewhat prog that i have seen is one named "daddy's hands" who come from vancouver. they reminded me a lot of the most wacked out frank zappa song you could think of. i liked them a lot. but i do have lots of great NONE-prog concert memories.
*Remember all advice given by Asuma is for entertainment purposes only. Asuma is not a licensed medical doctor, psychologist, or counselor and he does not play one on TV.*
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 21:36

My first show ever was the Moody Blues- it was there and then that I decided to become a rock star, which explains why I'm so rich and famous right now...

Rush (Power Windows tour) and Pink Floyd (Momentary Lapse tour) were the pinnacles of my high school prog experience. I saw Rush again this past year and I think they've aged more gracefully in the last decade and a half than I have.

I also had a memorable experience earlier this year when I tried to go see a Yes concert...

Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 22:04
I've never got to see anyone in concert. Down here we don't really get that many great bands...having said that, earlier last year I missed out on Roxy Music and Deep Purple. This year The Moody Blues are coming, and I don't want to miss them!
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Twystie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 22:14
I haven't seen anyone live. Good bands don't go to New Zealand very often (venue difficulties)and when they do, I miss them..
Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 22:25
I should start a Prog tribute band, and organise an outdoor Prog festival at the Auckland Domain...THEN we can force REAL music on these people.
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Twystie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 22:46
I would gladly support that- it would be just what this country needs. We need to remove the filthy taint of hip hop and rap, and these evil rapper artists like Scribe (who is apparently illiterate).
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 01:05
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

LOL

well we could do that... but then we'd have to include the largest ones... and that would be yours Reed... but you are so Ricky Butcher in this photo...

THIS IS ELP
dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 01:44

Quote I saw Twelfth Night a few weeks later and they were excellent too. I just wish I had seen them with Geoff Mann

I wish I could at least say the same. The only TN concert I've seen is on an old VHS tape.

Quote I saw TN without Geoff Man (before he joined) in 1979 at the Target club in Reading, where they were recording an album (Live at the Target).

Lucky bastard.

Quote I next saw them at Reading's festival in 1982 with Geoff, where they were superb (I have a tape of that gig somewhere...).

Lucky bastard.

Quote The last time I saw them was in 1983 at the Marquee in London where they were recording another live album (Live and Let Live)

Lucky bastard.

Quote Currently I'm trying to persuade Brian Devoil to play drums on some of the music I've written (I'm in regular email contact with him), and I had an email from Andy Revell, who's currently living in Spain...

I thought it was Sears who's living in Spain? I know he performed a set of TN songs with a Spanish band not too long ago (early '04, I believe).

If I ever win the lottery, I'll organize my own prog fest and Twelfth Night will regroup and perform. They won't be able to turn down the money, trust me. I won't care if they suck, either, because at least then I'll be able to say I've seen Twelfth Night in concert!

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 03:17

Did I say Revell?

I meant Sears!

(...must put brain in gear before engaging typing fingers....)

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 04:19
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I saw TN without Geoff Man (before he joined) in 1979 at the Target club in Reading, where they were recording an album (Live at the Target).

I next saw them at Reading's festival in 1982 with Geoff, where they were superb (I have a tape of that gig somewhere...).

The last time I saw them was in 1983 at the Marquee in London where they were recording another live album (Live and Let Live) - so you can hear me whooping on both their live albums

Currently I'm trying to persuade Brian Devoil to play drums on some of the music I've written (I'm in regular email contact with him), and I had an email from Andy Revell, who's currently living in Spain...

Jealous moi?

Goddamm right I am!!!! 

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 04:49
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

LOL

well we could do that... but then we'd have to include the largest ones... and that would be yours Reed... but you are so Ricky Butcher in this photo...

Touche!Embarrassed

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 05:08

My first gig was Steeleye Span at the Liverpool Phil in about 1975 (I think).

My first prog gig was Genesis at the Stafford Bingley Hall in June 1976, on the TTOT tour with Bill Bruford on drums. Between then and leaving school in 1980 I saw Pink Floyd (Animals tour), Yes (GFTO), Tangerine Dream twice, Hawkwind (as Hawklords), Steve Hackett, Gryphon at Southport Floral Hall (Treason) and then Genesis again at the Liverpool Empire in 1980 (past their best, but it was great to see them in such a small venue AND Granada TV filmed it and there's a brief shot of me in cheesecloth shirt and flared jeans dancing like a donkey's **** *** . Thankfully no record exists of the banana skin spliff one of my friends mistakenly believed to have psychoactive properties.).

I also took in some non prog gigs, including Devo's first UK show at Manchester Free Trade Hall, quite a few small Jazz and folk gigs and early versions of bands like Echo and the Bunnymen and Orchestral Manouvres round Liverpool.

I regret not being born a year or two earlier - I missed out on Gabriel era Genesis, most of the Canterbury bands, Daevid Allen's Gong and Faust. Many years later I caught reformed versions of Magma in London, 2000 and King Crimson in Nagoya, 2002, and I'm not ashamed to say both occasions brought a small tear to the eye.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>