Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe band with the best musicians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Poll Question: What is the prog band with the most virtuosist musicians?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
66 [40.99%]
14 [8.70%]
13 [8.07%]
10 [6.21%]
24 [14.91%]
11 [6.83%]
1 [0.62%]
17 [10.56%]
3 [1.86%]
2 [1.24%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 14:51

Great Idea, Utah_guy, I'd like to see all posts connected so you can get a general idea about where people come from (musicaly that is). unfortunatly this forum doesn't allow a more elaborate enquiry-format. It would be great to make one though.

Anywhoa, I voted for Yes. because

Guitar 1. Steve Howe (progguitarist that is, Jimmy Page remains my Favourite, and allan holdsworth I now too little of)

Drums 2. Bill Bruford (1 would be Neil Peart in my list)

Keyboards 1. Rick Wakeman

Bass. 1. Chriss Squire (together with Geddy Lee)

Vocals 3. jon Anderson (1 is Fish, 2 is Peter Gabriel)

I do''t know Saga PFM and UK good enough to consider them.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 14:51

Originally posted by Swinton MCR Swinton MCR wrote:

Rush Cannot be considered, coz no key-wizzard leaves them a tad short, unless Reed is sugesting that Lee is better than wakeman on his oberheim ???

Nah,no one is better than The Caped Maestro.

However, in true 3F8T's fashion, I ask again,name these artists who are better than Messrs Lee, Lifeson & Peart collectively or individually?

Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 16:30
rush is my favorite band. Geddy is unreal bassist, neil in an unreal drummer, and alex is...ok guitarist. Alex is, in my opinion, along for the ride.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 16:43

Originally posted by Prog_Bassist Prog_Bassist wrote:

rush is my favorite band. Geddy is unreal bassist, neil in an unreal drummer, and alex is...ok guitarist. Alex is, in my opinion, along for the ride.

Shocked

There are no stupid answers...only stupid people!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.............but some people abuse that freedom.Wink

Just shows you can listen to something without hearing!Confused

Alex Lifeson is just along for the ride?????????????????????????Ermm

This place gets more and more surreal every day!

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 17:08

first, i must say that my vote is for RUSH
as to your comment on Lifeson, I don't think its that he's along for the ride so much in terms of riding on the skill of Lee and Peart, Lifeson is an outstanding guitarist in his own right and the band definitely wouldn't be the band it was/is without him... despite that, I do agree with you in the sense that he doesn't contribute to the band creatively speaking. I think he's just one of those guys who wants to bust out a mad solo... whether he had been playing in Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or Rush... I mean, he stands out among his band members. While his band members write and read deep philosophy, peart in particular, he's getting arrested for assaulting a cop in florida while drunk.

btw, i got geddy lee's solo album in the mail finally today... i'll make a post in the CD section later once i get through it.
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 17:18
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

However, in true 3F8T's fashion, I ask again,name these artists who are better than Messrs Lee, Lifeson & Peart collectively or individually?

Thats an easy question.... These three guys outplay, outshow, outshine, and just plain more talented than any mentioned... (Now thats true 3fts style)

THIS IS ELP
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 17:22
I, for one, am totally amazed at your choice, 3F8s.  ELP, huh? Wow!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 17:23
i always thought they looked really ugly in those pics from the BBS album
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 17:32

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

as to your comment on Lifeson, I don't think its that he's along for the ride so much in terms of riding on the skill of Lee and Peart, Lifeson is an outstanding guitarist in his own right and the band definitely wouldn't be the band it was/is without him... despite that, I do agree with you in the sense that he doesn't contribute to the band creatively speaking. I think he's just one of those guys who wants to bust out a mad solo... whether he had been playing in Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or Rush... I mean, he stands out among his band members. While his band members write and read deep philosophy, peart in particular, he's getting arrested for assaulting a cop in florida while drunk.

btw, i got geddy lee's solo album in the mail finally today... i'll make a post in the CD section later once i get through it.

Lifeson writes most of the music.............................doesn't contribute creatively?????

Something seriously wrong amongst the Rush "fans" around here!!!!!!

Confused

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 18:12
i am surprised dream theater arent on there. They are one of the best musically abled bands out there. Didn't they all go to a special musician college for years? Their music is so technical and advanced, the band can make dreamlike shredding solos, keyboard works, drum beats, 6 string bass lines and immense vocals look so easy, yet they are very complicated and difficult to play, making people drool at the sight of their godly talents.

They can even keep it up for live sets that are around 3 hours long and all of their incredible studio albums, never running out of brilliant ideas, experimental work, concepts and best of all, a huge range of the most incredible, original and challenging musician work ever!
The Worthless Recluse
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 18:27

Rush Cannot be considered, coz no key-wizzard leaves them a tad short, unless Reed is sugesting that Lee is better than wakeman on his oberheim ???

Reed, I like Rush but nobody individually better?  Collectively as band they are one of the tightest I have seen but individually I have seen many guitarists, Bassists, Vocalists and drummers/ percussionists I thought were a whole lot better Here is a listing:

Guitar:  Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn, John McLaughin, Al Dimeloa, Alan Holdsworth

Bass:  Jaco Pastorious, Stanley Clarke, Tony Levin

Vocals:  Steve Walsh, Steve Perry, Greg Lake, Peter Gabriel

Drums: Buddy Rich, Louie Belson, Michael Walden, Billy Cobham

Just to name a few.  

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 18:28

Lifeson writes most of the music.............................doesn't contribute creatively?????

Confused

really? i thought lee did...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 18:31
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

<>Reed, I like Rush but nobody individually better?  Collectively as band they are one of the tightest I have seen but individually I have seen many guitarists, Bassists, Vocalists and drummers/ percussionists I thought were a whole lot better Here is a listing:

Guitar:  Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn, John McLaughin, Al Dimeloa, Alan Holdsworth

Just to name a few.  

Do you like Return to Forever? I think that RTF is one of the most underappreciated bands EVER. They're amazing! I just think that a lot of the labeling keyed them off as the Chick Corea backup band and turned them off to a lot of people.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 18:39

Confused

Are you for real or just trying to yank my chain ?

Lifeson writes most of the music in collaboration with Lee!Confused

How long did you say you's been a Rush fan?Dead

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 18:46

Reed, I like Rush but nobody individually better?  Collectively as band they are one of the tightest I have seen but individually I have seen many guitarists, Bassists, Vocalists and drummers/ percussionists I thought were a whole lot better Here is a listing:

Just to name a few.  

Many?????????????????????

Vocals, obviously accept!

Drums:Name Prog rock drummers betterr than Peart?

If he had played for a more trendy band they would say he was the best rock drummer ever.

You Garion, my son, are obviously taken of the fever,and you'd better lie down! Obviously got over-excited with that orange bowl thingy!

Blah, blah, blah, blah...............

Notice you had to mention the kansas dude!

You sad man!LOL

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 19:23

Just to name a few.  

Many?????????????????????

Vocals, obviously accept!

Drums:Name Prog rock drummers betterr than Peart?

If he had played for a more trendy band they would say he was the best rock drummer ever.

You Garion, my son, are obviously taken of the fever,and you'd better lie down! Obviously got over-excited with that orange bowl thingy!

Blah, blah, blah, blah...............

Notice you had to mention the kansas dude!

You sad man!LOL

I know ain't I pathetic? 

Steve Walsh is a great singer period. Not just for Kansas.  If he could write better songs he would have made it on his own.

You didn't say prog drummers as comparison you just said individualy better. As for trendy I know a lot of people who think Pert is the s*** of s*** who never heard of Carl Palmer or Bill Bruford etc. They only listen to rock/metal.  He has way more fans than CP would lets say.  I have seen both and I am impressed with CP in that he plays different styles of music.   I know within Rush Pert does that too but not to the degree CP does.  They are both great but after seeing Louie Belson and Billy Cobham at a drum clinic I was just devistated.  Now maybe if I saw Pert in that forum I might feel the same way.  

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 19:24

<>Reed, I like Rush but nobody individually better?  Collectively as band they are one of the tightest I have seen but individually I have seen many guitarists, Bassists, Vocalists and drummers/ percussionists I thought were a whole lot better Here is a listing:

Just to name a few.  

Do you like Return to Forever? I think that RTF is one of the most underappreciated bands EVER. They're amazing! I just think that a lot of the labeling keyed them off as the Chick Corea backup band and turned them off to a lot of people.

Romantic Warrior is one of my favorite LP's of all time any genre.

Edited by Garion81

Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 19:30
well i go for yes, because they do have some of the best in the genre. chris squire is one of the best base players ever. no doubt about it. STeve howe is one of the best guitar players in this genere, no doubt about it. Bill bruford(sry alan white!) is one of the best and most inffluentul drummers in rock. Anderson is one of the best singers in rock. Rick wakeman IS ther best keyboard player in music. notice how i say their one of the best. im not saying that all these guys Are the best, there just some of the best, in one swwet ass group! Same can be said for elp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 19:51

Confused

Are you for real or just trying to yank my chain ?

Lifeson writes most of the music in collaboration with Lee!Confused

How long did you say you's been a Rush fan?Dead

Well I know they write the music together, I was just under the impression from what I've read in the past that Lee wrote most of the music as opposed to Lifeson...

I first discovered the band this summer. Now I own Fly By Night, Caress, 2112, Farewell, Hemispheres, Waves, Pictures, Signals, GUP, Hold Your Fire, and Counterparts
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 20:19
Reed lover you are as unbelievably silly as Three fates and as blind to your faves but comparing any of these to the best musicians in the business namely the Yes boys is carrying your personal loves into the realms of fantasy. I'm sure if Clowny was around he'd agree with me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>