FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSkill vs. Talent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skill vs. Talent
    Posted: January 06 2005 at 06:05

A question most pertinent to prog I suspect.

Many of us recognise and appreciate a well executed solo or complex instrumental but is the ability to play like Robert Fripp or Keith Emerson an added bonus or an absolute necessity for prog to exist?

There are those who might say that technique is everything but would the Pink Floyd be any better with 300mph, widdily, widdily solo's every five minutes? Would Tangerine Dream benefit from the addition of Tony Banks?

There is no doubt that a song as to live at the heart of any prog epic (often several) but do we listen for the song or the 9/8 section at the end? Maybe there is a middle ground to this argument but deep; down does the engine exist to drive the car or does the car exist to house the engine?

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 06:29
It's the problem between inspiration and virtuosity.

Eventually, i think the most important is inspiration.

Cause the most important thing is the emotion.

But when both are gathered...

It's the top!

...like in the best PF, for example...
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 06:48

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

It's the problem between inspiration and virtuosity.

Eventually, i think the most important is inspiration.

Cause the most important thing is the emotion.

But when both are gathered...

It's the top!

...like in the best PF, for example...

I think that's how I feel too Oliverstoned but playing the devils advocate here, could you write a prog song on inspiration alone?

It might work for punk but prog? I'm not so sure.

BTW, this thread was inspired by Reed's thread on bands with the best musicians.

Edited by sigod
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 07:12

Its an important question you raise, sigod..

It seems that technical ability is important to most prog rock bands. Being able to play better than other rock/pop contempories. Its clearly not the be all and end all though. Pink Floyd are a good example of how inspired songwriting and thoughtfull use of 'less' notes can stand up on its won. For many people there are only so many notes your brain can process at any one given time, and this may explain why Pink Floyd became the only prog rock band to have such a broad and huge audience in the mainstream, unlike Yes and ELP who played like demons. However, as far as joe public were concerned they did so purely for the sake of proving they could.

Hawkwind are another good example of how a band can actually be comprised of pretty bad musicians - stoned or otherwise - but if they have a good idea, its still a good idea, played well or otherwise.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 07:18
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Hawkwind are another good example of how a band can actually be comprised of pretty bad musicians - stoned or otherwise - but if they have a good idea, its still a good idea, played well or otherwise.

How could I have forgotten the mighty Hawkwind??? Oh the shame of it!  

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 07:23
Dont worry, I'm sure Dave Brock forgets Hawkwind and who he is everyday..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 07:35

I think it's definitely possible to write using inspiration as the main part - but it is next to impossible to use inspiration alone.

Scenario 1: You pick up an instrument for the first time and try to play it, having never heard music before.

Without any kind of instruction regarding technique of either handling the instrument or understanding of musical form, you are unlikely in the extreme to produce anything artistic. In the same manner as the fabled chimpanzees with typewriters, and as proven by radical composers such as John Cage, it is possible, however, that you might create a great work of art, if you already have the latent talent somehow, or there is a very happy accident.

Scenario 2: You have played basic guitar music, say, blues, for a year or two, and heard some other musicians - maybe including far-out, avant-garde composers - and even made yourself familiar with some of their non-standard, more creative compositional methods, such as utilising unusual techniques to get sounds from your instrument without having to stretch yourself in the realm of conventional music. You have a keen artistic imagination that sees only possibilities, and a penchant for mind-altering drugs. You also have a group of like-minded musicians around you.

Providing one or two of the musicians remain sober and can keep the core music together, you can create to your heart's content - as far as the other musicians will allow you to indulge your ego. You can thereby become the catalyst for a group that produces music that is both creative and inspirational - but you are reliant on both the group to provide boundaries for your wild experimentation, and yourself for the same reason. You could, of course, totally let yourself go and sacrifice everything for your art - without having actually developed virtuosic techniques - and inspire both your colleagues and generations of music fans in years to come...

Or you can disappear totally into oblivion, branded a wacko.

Scenario 3: You learn every trick in the book and every rule there is to learn. You practice technical excercises around the clock and devote your entire life to your instrument. You also learn how to write in the same technical manner. You find learning easy, as long as you stick to the rules, but you feel no artistic inclinations - ie you don't play with what you learn, you simply take it as rote.

You can write and perform music of a high technical calibre, and may gain critical acclaim on that level. But it will be sterile and devoid of life, and after a short period of time, your music will all sound very similar. If you already know all the rules and tricks, then there is nothing more you can learn, unless you suddenly develop an imagination. You can work with as many other musicians as you like, but what you do will always sound depressingly familiar and always lack life.

I think most people fit between these three scenarios - but hopefully they all paint a picture that is recognisable

There is always scenario 4: You look pretty and fashionable in a way that can sell products. You have no skill or talent - except to look pretty and fashionable.

You get signed to a major record label stable as part of a boy/girl band, make millions, then fall under the misapprehension that you are somehow musically gifted. You break from the band to make a solo career, and everyone realises what a phoney you are. You fall into obscurity - but if you have more than a few braincells, you'll be fairly well off for a few years. Then you can sue your fellow band members for imagined breaches of contract to keep yourself in the money, make advertisements, appear on celebrity gameshows and "Where are they now" programs on fringe satellite channels.

Edited by Certif1ed
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 07:42
Ah, such synchronicity -

I was thinking along the same(ish) lines only this morning:

Take 2 keyboard players...

Keith Emerson & Ken Hensley

Emerson is no doubt a consumate musician, composer, performer, and writer of some of the most complex prog rock ever recorded, and I love the man's work dearly.

Hensley (by comparison only), a lesser technical musician (although a very talented guitarist, as well as Hammond player).

Emerson, I can happily listen to for hours, appreciating the virtuosity, writing etc, but as far as sheer "feel" and "emotion" is concerned, Hensley will raise the hairs on the back of my neck every time within a very few minutes.

This isn't to say I 'prefer' one over the other, it's just to say if I want modern classics, I go to Emerson; if I want a real immediate "lift", it's Hensley, every time.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 08:22

Exactly so, Jim - and the main reason I enjoy Fish-era Marillion over any other prog band (except, maybe, Camel - for much the same reasons).

Personal taste, ultimately, but "Script..." has more neck hair-raising moments for me than any other album, and "Mirage" has the capacity to "do it" every time where other albums seem less consistent in their mood-enhancing capacity.

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 08:32

I don't know, I was watching Keith play on their new DVD - Live at Montreux.. and I was totally amazed at how great he played.. at how wonderful his improvisations were... all with curling fingers ( after his surgery)... I mean if you watch him.. he somehow plays even better missing a few fingers.. and looking extremely painful...  I guess thats sheer inspiration, because he still plays even today really hard and really great... even when I can see the pain in his face.

Thats the mark of a true musician!!

THIS IS ELP
Jim Prog Wizard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 08:46

To let technicality override melody defeats the point of all music, not just Prog.  Being a brilliant guitarist/keyboardist etc is great, especially for inspired soloing, but self-indulgence should never get in the way of a good tune.

A lot of people have a problem with Prog because they've been led to believe it's all self-indulgent soloing.  While there are some bands who unfortunately justify this claim (many of the prog-metal bands trying to imitate DT come to mind), one of the reasons I love Prog is that the best bands never do let virtuousity get in the way of their music, but use it more as an augmentation.  Being a great musician means you can play much more interesting stuff when you want to, but it also means knowing when to be minimalist in your approach.  Example:  Robert Fripp is undoubtably one the world's great guitar players, but in one of the best pieces of music Crimson ever made (Starless) he creates a truly haunting guitar solo using just two notes on the fretboard.  That is the sign of a great musician.

"Progressive Rock is the ultimate form of music" (Mikael Akerfeldt, 2003)
Captain Fudge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 08:50
IMo, the best example are punk aesthetics. Just think, The Sex Pistols fired their first guitar player because he sounded like a pro! Punk's main rule was that the music should such a pure form of energy,that it would have been a sacrilege to harnace it in an orederly manner! The creative flow that a kid with no guitar skills feels when holding one is more important than energy put into a solo by a pro, in punk's book. That's why punk kept it simple, but I think it acn be applied to prog.

Teenage sucks hard -- Emo sucks even harder
Epic. Simply epic.

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 09:01
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

It's the problem between inspiration and virtuosity. Eventually, i think the most important is inspiration. Cause the most important thing is the emotion. But when both are gathered... It's the top! ...like in the best PF, for example...

I think that's how I feel too Oliverstoned but playing the devils advocate here, could you write a prog song on inspiration alone?

It might work for punk but prog? I'm not so sure.

BTW, this thread was inspired by Reed's thread on bands with the best musicians.

i agrre with you
To be labelled prog, the music should features a minimum of complexity, research.
This is precisely the difference with Punk, which is a non-musical genre, im my opinion, like rap and r'n'b
(not "rythm and blues of course!")
But among prog,, some bands play simple music (like Camel) (but which features at least quite virtuose guitar playing) to very virtuose, really complex-writen music like Henry cow ( i give you two extremes)
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 10:13
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

I don't know, I was watching Keith play on their new DVD - Live at Montreux.. and I was totally amazed at how great he played.. at how wonderful his improvisations were... all with curling fingers ( after his surgery)... I mean if you watch him.. he somehow plays even better missing a few fingers.. and looking extremely painful...  I guess thats sheer inspiration, because he still plays even today really hard and really great... even when I can see the pain in his face.

Thats the mark of a true musician!!

More like the mark of someone very dedicated - which does not mean the same as a true musician at all

I guess it makes little difference, given Keith's original "boxing gloves" style...

(sorry, tasteless)

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 11:30

That’s the main problem guys, I’ll take an example the song Pirates from Works, nobody can deny it’s a song that requires great technical skills and ability, but when the track reaches the central part keeps repeating the same keyboard solo without almost variations.

Almost the same happens with Fanfare for the Common Man, but with the difference that a mediocre band with 10% of the skills of ELP did their own version (5 years before ELP called Movement for a Common Man) and it was really good from start to end despite they were not excellent musicians.

Both songs turn boring, predictable, endless and you wish the authors would have made it halve the length, take on the other hand Close to the Edge (So people won’t say I only use Genesis as an example), it’s a great song but Rick’s solos are fabulous, imaginative and incredibly beautiful, the song never bores you, even when it’s twice the length of Pirates.

That’s the problem with ELP, all are truly skilled, but their project failed after 4 or 5 albums, BSS and Trilogy were their peak (what a peak!!!!) but Works I was a bit disappointing (except Palmer's side) because it was more of the same, lots of skill, endlless solos but lack of variations, and the later albums are even worst, Works II is absolutely predictable and Love Beach or In the Hot Seat, no matter what their hardcore fans believe were terrible albums according 99.9% of the prog’ audience.

The last years ELP was only a stage band with none or very few releases, so people could see how talented they are performing a concert.

Jethro Tull is a band that kept a lower profile, nobody will say Ian Anderson or their always changing members lack of skills, but they are not in the level of a Keith Emerson or Carl Palmer, but with all those limits, they managed to keep the interest of the listener for many more years than ELP jumping from Blues oriented Prog to Folk and pure Rock & Roll, they showed talent, versatility and imagination.

Iván

Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 11:42

I think virtuoso metallers like Vai, Satriani, Van Halen et al. answer this question - personally I cant remember a solitary phrase any of them have played on record, despite having their awful material foisted on me by friends ("Its really proggy, you'll love it...."). 

I've watched many colleagues try and mimic the aforementioned indulgents and manage to recreate the sounds, the gestures, and frighteningly, the actual solos (with squeals!), but when I ask them to show me something THEY'VE written, they usually revert back to strumming first position chords and crooning some mindless nonsense about feeling depressed and lonely.  

The inspiration has to exist in the first place - the instrument is just the tool.  The ability to play the instrument well will improve the chances of bringing forth what is inside the composer's head, but ultimately, if there is nothing there, you will end up with little more than scales and rudiments.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 11:55

^ These are excellent comments.  

I must say that speed playing has it's place but like Tony Banks himself said, 'When it comes to soloing, I try to write them like a write a song with little or no variation. They effectively become a composition within a composition'

Tony Banks is a man that can play fast but still retains that essential spark of innovation to make to listening experience worth while.   Hell, I even like his solo on 'Fading Lights'.

Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 12:17
Ithink it is important to make the distinction between songwriting and composing. You got a lot of very good and inspired songwriters , who aren't skilled musicians in the sense of musical theory, for example Dylan. A lot of musicians started by singing and putting some chords under the melody line and if they become famous they hire an arranger who puts some orchestral score on it.IMHO a "composer" has to have  a basic harmony understanding, epecially if he writes or works together with other musicians. Brian Eno for example creates "musical landscapes" mainly on inspiration but then I wouldn't call it compositions. It is like learning a language, you can always try to learn it by speaking , but if you don't know the grammar you will never be able to master the language. I would say skill is the basis which enables one to express his inspiration. But then I would always prefer an inspired songwriter to an uninspired composer
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 13:27

Indeed.  There is more resonance, character and depth in ONE BAR of Roy Harper's de-tuned 12-string compositions, than the entirety of Vai's back catalogue. 

I must say, that I'm a serious PFM fan, and love all of their 1970s albums, which (in my opinion) display a perfect balance of musicality and inspiration.  Being a completist I have also acquired a considerable amount of bootleg material, taken from live shows during this period, and I find much of it is completely unlistenable. The reason? All semblance of atmosphere, pace, dynamics, and intonation, are dismissed in place of high energy, highly skilled improvisation (AKA "noodling") , that all too often makes a mockery of the very songs they are supposed of be expositions of.  Thankfully when I saw them live last year, this had been largely reversed and they reverted to the album arrangements for the most part, with newly composed sections replacing the tangent shifts of old. 

The example is there though - PFM were clearly playing below their respective abilities on record, leaving their 'showing off' for the stage (where it belongs in my opinion). I'm sure if I'd been at those shows, I would've loved every minute of it, but when I put a record on, late at night, I want to be affected in a wholly different way.  PFM have a special ability to create beautiful music - music that people without their individual talents could not create (I cant get near Mussida's stuff on the guitar) - but that high level ability is driven and controlled by inspiration and PFM's profound sense of how music can affect you. Just listen to Out Of The Roundabout - few people could get near playing that song, but there's not a single excess note. There's just no way someone without PFM's unique technical ability AND talent could have created such a masterpiece.  

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 13:29
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

(sorry, tasteless)

Extremely... maybe you should actually watch it first before commenting....

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>