Topic ClosedSkill vs. Talent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 05:37

Originally posted by Matt0001 Matt0001 wrote:

This is a great discussion.

For non-prog rock, skill isn't entirely necessary. Turned up loud enough, instruments will even play themselves.

But I think one thing that makes prog prog is musicians who have virtually no "skill ceiling" holding them down. However, it is not necessary to demonstrate this skill every chance one gets. Virtuosity is what makes prog prog.  But subtlety and restraint is what makes good prog good.

There is a lot of truth in what you say Matt. I also believe that here in the UK, technical ability was almost totally destroyed as a virtue by the breaking of punk in '77 and apart from the flurry of funk slap and pull bass players during the 80's (e.g. Mark King of Level 42) it has never really recovered.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 05:47
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

I repect and envy skilled musicians, but if a song grabs me, I don't care whether it was played by grandmaster instrumentalists or a bunch of monkeys who accidentally knocked over instruments.

It's analogous to the Cult of Personality (no, not the Living Colour song). Sometimes the person speaking is so impressive you tend to forget that what they're saying doesn't mean much. Or, inversely, sometimes the person is so interesting that it doesn't matter...either way, it applies.

Wise words, James!

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 12:42

Threefates, it's funny how you decide for all of us, you say opeople don't llike Love Beach only foprthe cover and we havewto accept it, pleaseread the reviews all say Love Beach is a bad album because of the music, the average stars for it is two (among the collaborators is even lower)and nobbody mentions the cover.

I don't mention Black Moon because it simply didn't impressed me, it's not bad  as Love Beach or In the Hot Seat or terrible as Re-works, but it's not good either (The average rating here is 3 stars).

ELP was a good band, but not the best progressive band for most people here.

I mentioned Ian Andersons voice as a respond to you when you changed the subject saying his voice was down, even when this was a discussion about skills and talent, not about vocal range. To prove it here is your post from Jan 6 at 12:52

Quote According to those who heard Ian Anderson singing in concert here in Montreal in Oct. and on German tv last month... his voice is shot as well... so I guess you should keep up also.

Before this post, Ian Anderson's voice was never mentioned.

But you'll keep believeing ELP are the Gods of Prog' Rock and I'll keep believing is just a good band that reached high level in two albums, but that is a matter of taste.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 13:08

Sorry Threefates, I have to agree with Ivan on this one - I BELIEVE Love Beach, Works II, In The Hot Seat and Black Moon were all abominations, and I wouldn't even classify Black Moon as prog.  The sight of Keith in a leather jacket and mullet trying to look like something out of Miami Vice has stuck with me since that Inside ELP DVD came out.  And I believe he did it with malice aforethought.   ELP were just trying to write something that would sell, something MOR - they sold out their true fans and went for the money instead.  At least, thats the way I see it - I have to say I wasn't into ELP when I was growing up in the 80s, and only found out recently that they'd even put out material in the 90s.  How my dream was spoiled.  I dont even equate Black Moon with the ELP I know and love - its a different band playing that album.  It doesn't even sound like Greg.   

Its interesting all that stuff about them not getting on, as that clearly had an affect on their output.  Putting things out because you HAVE to, rather than because you WANT to.  A prime example of where skill can out-box talent - and in ELP's case, this was certainly the case. 

Still, it all beats late Genesis'/all Collins/entirety of Mike & The Mechanics material though...!!

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 14:26
Originally posted by Wrath_of_Ninian Wrath_of_Ninian wrote:

Sorry Threefates, I have to agree with Ivan on this one - I BELIEVE Love Beach, Works II, In The Hot Seat and Black Moon were all abominations, and I wouldn't even classify Black Moon as prog. 

Black Moon has Romeo and Juliet, Changing States, Burning Bridges, Close to Home and Better Days (some very prog songs)... some usual ballads by Greg.. I don't see where this album was any less prog than their first 5 albums... except its missing the comedy relief.. It was a great comeback album for a band that hadn't played together as a threesome in 14 years.

The sight of Keith in a leather jacket and mullet trying to look like something out of Miami Vice has stuck with me since that Inside ELP DVD came out.  And I believe he did it with malice aforethought.    Inside ELP is not an ELP sanctioned dvd... however, Keith has been wearing leather from the beginning.. heck, that tarkus jacket was leather...  Actually I didn't mind Keith's haircuts until that really short one he got before he met the Queen... Now that one bothered me.

ELP were just trying to write something that would sell, something MOR - they sold out their true fans and went for the money instead.  At least, thats the way I see it

Thats actually so wrong.  They never did anything for the money.  They ended up paying for the orchestra tour out of their own pockets.. They sold those big country homes they had bought during BSS, and moved into smaller places... They did Love Beach because they needed to get out of their record contract... and after touring for close to 2 years... just wanted to go home and call it quits.. so they compiled Works 2 and gave them Love Beach... Its not like ELP thought Love Beach would sell... they just didn't care by that point... and 2 of them hated the Bahamas...and just wanted to go...

- I have to say I wasn't into ELP when I was growing up in the 80s, and only found out recently that they'd even put out material in the 90s.  How my dream was spoiled.  I dont even equate Black Moon with the ELP I know and love - its a different band playing that album.  It doesn't even sound like Greg.   

it sounds like Greg to me... and no one knows what Greg sounds like better than I do...

Its interesting all that stuff about them not getting on, as that clearly had an affect on their output.  Putting things out because you HAVE to, rather than because you WANT to.  A prime example of where skill can out-box talent - and in ELP's case, this was certainly the case. 

Actually I think it was not getting along that generally got them to put out their greatest works.  It seemed that it was their constant competition and their mutual respect for each other's music that got them to do their best.  Since they've been apart... what have they done that was excellent...?? 

Still, it all beats late Genesis'/all Collins/entirety of Mike & The Mechanics material though...!!

THIS IS ELP
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 14:32
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Originally posted by Wrath_of_Ninian Wrath_of_Ninian wrote:

True, but that's not exactly a stunning achievement.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 14:33
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Threefates, it's funny how you decide for all of us, you say opeople don't llike Love Beach only foprthe cover and we havewto accept it, pleaseread the reviews all say Love Beach is a bad album because of the music, the average stars for it is two (among the collaborators is even lower)and nobbody mentions the cover.

I'm going to what has been posted in this forum, Ivan... not whats on the reviews or from the collaborators.. (the collaborators are mostly Genesis fans... so that negates any balance there anyway)

ELP was a good band, but not the best progressive band for most people here.

But you'll keep believeing ELP are the Gods of Prog' Rock and I'll keep believing is just a good band that reached high level in two albums, but that is a matter of taste.

Uhh but Ivan... they were the Gods of Prog Rock... unfortunately its just like the attitude towards the US here in the Non-Music section... How many threads on america bashing....thats what ELP experiences here in this section...  Its hard being the top dog... everyone wants to take a bash at you!!

THIS IS ELP
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 17:01

I like bashing Genesis actually, as Ivan knows only too well....!!

Nonetheless, you clearly see no fault in anything ELP have done, and I salute you  - I wish I felt the same way about my favourite band PFM, who went a similar way to ELP in the early 80s and started releasing (what I believe to be ) the most awful rubbish.  This is clearly an argument I have no chance of winning! (although I suppose all musical arguments end the same way...)

For the record though, I was only referring to Black Moon with the innit-for-the-money quip - I know about the losses incurred on the Works tour (which ran into millions, right??? dont know the exact figures).

I always thought many people saw Love Beach as a kind of 'two fingers' to the record company for demanding more material when they were clearly unable to fulfill the task in the wake of their exhaustion. However, ELP must also have been aware also of their diminishing fanbase which eroded en masse in the wake of urchin-rock.  Personally, I like to see Love Beach as an arrogant 'two-fingers' to the fans who didn't show up to the Works Tour leaving them heavily out of pocket.  Thats rock and roll - "shove this down your throats you thankless *******"  or "Have your tuneless, talentless rubbish if thats what you want...."  I, for one, was a mere 5 years of age at the time and take no responsibility for their subsequent change of attitude.  If they did the tour now, I would pay full price for every UK date. 

Finally, before you resume hositilies with Ivan, I think you're right that ELP probably were the "Gods of Prog Rock", although that tag in itself is multi-faceted one, and will certainly attract the scorn of the media-run classes.  But if the UK is top dog for Prog Rock, what is the US top dog at? 

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 18:08

Wait, are you saying "Love Beach" is actually a punk statement?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 18:14

Wow, I suppose I am!! 

Sometimes I need to check how much wine I've drunk before I write things on this forum....

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 18:18
...still not gonna give it a listen, though.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 19:24

Quote I'm going to what has been posted in this forum, Ivan... not whats on the reviews or from the collaborators.. (the collaborators are mostly Genesis fans... so that negates any balance there anyway)

Holy God Threefates, I don't know if you really believe what you say, why can you accept that a band that respects thesmelves and their fans should always try to release good material, you blame the producers, the Record Company, Genesis fans and the collaborators, but you don't blame ELP for Love Beach.

There are 7 Love Beach reviews by collaborators and the average is 1.3 stars (Poor. Only for completionists).

There are 14 reviews by people who are not collaborators and the average is 2 stars (Collectors fans only) with 6 that rated it with 0 stars, it's higher average, but there are 3 lunatics that rated it with 5 stars (50% of the total score), something we all know Love Beach doesn't deserve, specially because those guys say forget about side A. How can an album with only one side "good" deserve 5 stars?

Read Gibraltar, Progressor, Progressive Ears or any progressive rock web page and see what's the opinion about Love Beach, probably you'll come back here because in those places the opinion is even worst.

So don't blame the collaborators, most of the progressive rock community qualifies Love Beach as one of the worst albums ever.

Quote How many threads on america bashing

Please Threefates, using Patriotism as a way to gain support is something I expect from politicians not from an intelligent prog' fan like you.

By the way, never saw a post against USA. saw some (which I didn't wrote) about their Government and that's not the same.

Wrath_of_Ninian wrote:

Quote Still, it all beats late Genesis'/all Collins/entirety of Mike & The Mechanics material though...!!

I agree,  I'm a Genesis fan but I said exactly the same thingv in my review about Love Beach on May 2004. Being better than that infamous list means the same as being better than Grease Soundtrack or N'Sync.

Thanks heaven we're not rating Re-Works

To make a summary of my position, I have nothing against ELP, I love their first 5 albums  specially Trilogy and BSS which I rated with 5 stars because I honestly believe they deserve that rating.

I like parts of Works I, I believe Works II was disappointing, but I'm not deaf, Love Beach was a bad album, In the Hot Seat was worst (except for the version of Pictures at an Exhibition included in my album as bonus), Black Moon was a good album for a B class band not for ELP.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Matt0001 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 20:41
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Originally posted by Matt0001 Matt0001 wrote:

This is a great discussion.

For non-prog rock, skill isn't entirely necessary. Turned up loud enough, instruments will even play themselves.

But I think one thing that makes prog prog is musicians who have virtually no "skill ceiling" holding them down. However, it is not necessary to demonstrate this skill every chance one gets. Virtuosity is what makes prog prog.  But subtlety and restraint is what makes good prog good.

There is a lot of truth in what you say Matt. I also believe that here in the UK, technical ability was almost totally destroyed as a virtue by the breaking of punk in '77 and apart from the flurry of funk slap and pull bass players during the 80's (e.g. Mark King of Level 42) it has never really recovered.

But I also want to make sure it's clear that I don't have a problem with lack of technical ability. I appreciate Steve Jones as much as Steve Howe. They just have two entirely different artistic aims. And neither one could ever play like the other.
pfontaine2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 20:43
I love ELP dearly and want to interject my 2 cents.

For this fan of ELP, Black Moon was a prayer
answered. I was somewhat disappointed by Works
2 and was shocked by 70% of Love Beach. I must
express my love for "Memoirs" because I like the
idea of an epic song that deals with such a simple
concept as love between a man and a woman,
rather then something more "cosmic". "Turn Of the
Century" by Yes had a similar vibe. "Memoirs" is a
beautiful composition, despite the occasional dodgy
lyric.

Black Moon was ELP for me because there they all
were, working together on something new and
exciting. I felt I could hear it in their playing, even if
alot of the music originated from Keith's as then
unreleased solo album (Romeo and Juliet and
Closer to Home) and one of the better tracks was
written by Marc Macina. I'm even not that keen on
"Affair's Of The Heart" though I think "Footprints In
The Snow" is a more effective, simpler song.

Black Moon is not a perfect ELP album but at a time
when there didn't seem to be alot of Prog around, it
was a thrill to me to hear these guys play together
again, to hear that classic Hammond and synth
sound again, and hear these guys sound like they
were really enjoying the process again.   It was a
downpayment on hopefully better things to come that
sadly never materialized.

Pierre

BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 21:17

Ok, I've followed that discussion between 3F and Ivan.... it's very interesting to read well-argued conversations and I'd like to add my opinion (though you probably know it already, 3F, lol):

I agree with Ivan, ELP is a very good band, and they were really important for prog, but they just aren't the best band IMO. I do understand why some people think they are, but for me they aren't at all. Please accept that, 3F. Not everyone needs to share your opinion about that ... and I can have an opinion, even though i havent listened to all of their albums. I don't know anybody else on the forum fighting for her/his fav. band so hard

And please don't try to save Love Beach, or ELP at that particular time ... thats kinda silly ....

DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 22:27
is it the lack of a lead guitarist that causes you
problems, emersons soloing as opposed to
symphonic underpinnings? greg lakes voice or
lyrical content? or carl palmers rapid fire drumming
to rythmic changes? bombast as opposed to
atmospheric changes? who did it first as opposed to
who copied it later with better studio/digital
equipment? the whole thing sucks Marillion is better
or Henry Cow rocks?

what is it that you dont like, and what is it you like?

Edited by DallasBryan
BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 22:29
hmm DB, who are you talking with?
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 22:33
me myself and I
BEBE

Edited by DallasBryan
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 23:24
Originally posted by BebieM BebieM wrote:

Ok, I've followed that discussion between 3F and Ivan.... it's very interesting to read well-argued conversations and I'd like to add my opinion (though you probably know it already, 3F, lol):

I agree with Ivan, ELP is a very good band, and they were really important for prog, but they just aren't the best band IMO. I do understand why some people think they are, but for me they aren't at all. Please accept that, 3F. Not everyone needs to share your opinion about that ... and I can have an opinion, even though i havent listened to all of their albums. I don't know anybody else on the forum fighting for her/his fav. band so hard

And please don't try to save Love Beach, or ELP at that particular time ... thats kinda silly ....

Oh Bebe... as a girl, I'm surprised at you... you've missed the point completely.  I have these conversations with Ivan (and usually Cert) because I just love talking about ELP... I don't care if they feel the same way about them... heck I don't care if you feel the same way... but it makes me happy to talk about them... so i keep doing it.

I will defend them to the death... and the fact that you can't see why I think they're the best band really doesn't matter... it should be enough that you know I do...    I've never bashed you for your opinion... just tried to point out that some of the comments you've made seemed questionable... whether language barrier or not. 

And as far as no one else fighting so hard for their band... well thats not quite true either... Reed does a really good job for Rush,  Ivan and quite a few here do for Genesis... and Fragile does a good job for Yes... but I do better for ELP..cause I'm a girl.. and cause I've had an actual relationship with one of them....

THIS IS ELP
BebieM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 01:59

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Oh Bebe... as a girl, I'm surprised at you... you've missed the point completely.  I have these conversations with Ivan (and usually Cert) because I just love talking about ELP... I don't care if they feel the same way about them... heck I don't care if you feel the same way... but it makes me happy to talk about them... so i keep doing it.

Well, that's ok of course. But you don't seem to accept facts and dont seem to be willing to go back even a single step. It is good that you really love them, but discussions get useless if you're only goal is to counter the other people's arguments and aren't trying to think about them.

I will defend them to the death... and the fact that you can't see why I think they're the best band really doesn't matter( i said i DO understand why some people really love them)... it should be enough that you know I do...    I've never bashed you for your opinion... just tried to point out that some of the comments you've made seemed questionable... whether language barrier or not. 

and u came close to bashing other's opinion quite often, you're not saying comments are questionable but you're saying they're wrong.

And as far as no one else fighting so hard for their band... well thats not quite true either... Reed does a really good job for Rush,  Ivan and quite a few here do for Genesis... and Fragile does a good job for Yes... but I do better for ELP..cause I'm a girl.. and cause I've had an actual relationship with one of them....

But the others actually do criticize their bands too, and don't say everything about them is perfect, I've never heard Ivan saying Invisible Touch isn't a bad album ...

But overall, take it easy, I don't want any fights, lol, but I think you're a bit exaggerating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>