FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes’ Topographic Oceans - The debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes’ Topographic Oceans - The debate
    Posted: January 07 2005 at 11:15

Yes' Tales from Topographic Oceans must be one of the most debated Lps in prog history. Is it a meisterwerk? Is it an exercise in padding? Is the  Ancient really that Bad? (Yes!) Did it ultimately force their best talent (wakeman) out?

Often seen as the pinnacle of Prog Excess by the detractors - I was just wondering what other people's thoughts were on this OPUS? To me Tales certainly isn't Yes' best LP? (Relayer is!)but it isn't there worst either. (Talk is). I think it operates as a sort of yes' White Album - could it live without Ancient and Remebering musically?? - but of course part of its pleasure was the overlying four-part concept of the Shastric scriptures, its very epic- quality.  And it does have that sense of Homeric epic-ness about it - it's like The Lamb by Genesis, like settling in for a long journey at the start of Side One. But ultimately I think its padded out by some lazy recycling of leit-motifs, and unispired playing, unlikely The White Album which is very varied and full of in your face incongruity. Wakeman in particular is absent a lot of the time, just providing synth washes a lot of the time - and even his solos are uninspired compared to his best - even on the standout tracks 1 and 4. I also think production wise it lacks the vibrancy of Close to the Edge and Relayer (a beautiful, brittle coldness). Stories of them getting cardboard cut out animals shows there ego's were starting to show a bit.

And yet - something inside of me wants to champion Tales despite all its flaws. It does have some peaks - few though they are - Squire's work on Ritual (as good as his work on Relayer)Steve's guitar shines thru on Side one - the vocal intro - one of the most loved Yes pieces of music in their canon. I just don't think it would have worked with just Side One and Four as a single LP - and stands as a "great failure" rather than a "muted success". Last time I saw Yes at Liverpool I was spellbound - I'd seen them on the Union tour, ABWH, and a few times since - but this last time was special - the set list was perfection - THREE EPICS!!! Ritual, Gates and Close to the Edge - and the symphony orchestra backing - OK Wakeman wasn't on this line-up but it was a minor quibble when presented with Gates!!!

Anyone got any views on this?

Edited by mandrake
Swinton MCR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 12:15

I think this has been done before....BUT most Yes fans tend to think it's a fabulous piece of music - which of course it is

A VERITABLE PROG MASTERPIECE !!!

Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 13:22

I prefer their other works - Topographic Oceans just doesn't have that spark, and frankly I find most of it pretty boring compared to CTTE or Relayer, even the Yes Album. I still dont understand why Wakeman left when all he did was go on to produce prog fodder of a similar ilk.  Perhaps his ego needed a boost.  I'm sure he said he'd achieved everything he could with Yes and wanted to move on, but that was clearly rubbish, as he returned two years later for what in my opinion was their best work 'Going For The One' and then their worst 'Tormato', which were two new extremes of brilliance and mediocrity  

Disclaimer:

The opinions expressed are those of the author (me), and they are not intended, in any way, to denigrate the Yes fan club or lovers of the Tormato album.  I salute you all

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 13:24

it is rubish.

come on BORRING to the max.

not kool haha

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 13:33

On the plus side, it does contain some superb passages of Yesmusic (mainly on Disc 1)

On the minus side, it is frequently rambling and incoherent.

On the balance, any album which contains Ritual(Nous Sommes Du Soleil) is, quite frankly,  bit of a turkey.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 13:34
Originally posted by Shocktaktix Shocktaktix wrote:

it is rubish.

come on BORRING to the max.

not kool haha

Unfortunately I have some sympathy with this half-wit's "position".Angry

Much as I love Yes, this album just never did it forme.Over-overblown (sic) everything.

I bought it on release on LP and only listened to it occasionally after the first couple of days.

Actually bought the CD-why, I dont know-and despite giving it a few spins I can get nothing out of it.

What am I missing?ConfusedApart from a brain?Wink

Edited by Reed Lover

Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 13:40

Not very much, there's nothing there to get.

Stick to the classics.  They're not rubish or borring....

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 13:51

One of the main flaws of this album is Wakeman. He clearly isn't really involved. He plays uninspired. Where the synth-keyboard could have made the album more cohesive, Wakeman failed the band.

Him leaving the group gave Yes a chance to further develop and create Relayer.

I'm a huge fan of Wakeman but on Tales he totaly messed up.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 13:52
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

What am I missing?Confused

A brain, most likely... its probably just a little too cerebral for you!!

Actually I love Tales.. always have.  But its a mood piece. Its almost like New Age..  To me I could care less about the words.. well except for the third side... "Do the leaves of green stay greener thru the autumn....", but its the general mood you get when you listen to it.  Its soothing, its meditative and its freeing.. and I think thats just what Jon Anderson was trying to convey...

And I'd much rather meditate to that than some chant in sanscript..

THIS IS ELP
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 14:26
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

One of the main flaws of this album is Wakeman. He clearly isn't really involved. He plays uninspired. Where the synth-keyboard could have made the album more cohesive, Wakeman failed the band.

Him leaving the group gave Yes a chance to further develop and create Relayer.

I'm a huge fan of Wakeman but on Tales he totaly messed up.

That's one of the reasons I like TFTO...Wakeman doesn't ruin the mix for once. As much as I respect his talents, a good number of my favorite Yes songs have synth parts that sound unnecessary or jarringly prominent to me. Unfortunately, Squire is also buried throughout TFTO- I think he could have provided more of the structure that so many people find lacking. Not me, though...if anything, I think it should be more formless, impenetrable, and meandering!

I guess you could almost call it the best Anderson or Howe solo album, except that there isn't much competition there.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 14:43

Tales from Topographic Oceans - Yes, It's title tells you that it will be self-indulgent to the nth degree - Oh yes...Let us pray at the alter of Musicians who play music that the proletariat HATE !!!

The logo is the finest for any album - The colours - Do you know how long it took to enbroider on my denim-jacket - about a month......

I may be wrong - but if you sip from the chalice of High-progressiveness - you must show no disgrace at the liking of this august and profound musical masterpiece....

yea...Though You may stand in the shadow of mariah carey, I shall fear no evil coz Those wacky Yes men gave us the light...It was their cross and our salvation.

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 15:17
i think it as a masterpiece. IMO the only reason people have problems with it is cos it is soooo demanding, challenging and daring, too experimental and long and building up the soundscapes. its one of those albums you have to listen to a few times to get used to it.

also it helps if you play it all as one piece instead of playing the tracks individually, cos that way it jus dont sound as good. if you are gonna listen to TFTO then set yourself about an hour and a half of free time and play it as one whole piece.

once i did this i saw how amazing it was, and although it is demanding, once you meet its demands, it is so worthwile and rewarding.

patience is the key with this album.

i know most cant be bothered to listen to a hour and half odd piece of music which can get boring but those who do will be rewarded with a masterpiece
The Worthless Recluse
Vegetableman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 16:11

Speaking of TFTO... has anyone noticed that a good number of the big prog bands released a controversial double album after the album widely recognized (I'm saying that very loosely) as their best?

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery -> Works Vol. I

Floyd - Animals -> The Wall

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound -> The Lamb

Yes - Close to the Edge -> Tales

"Mister Fripp, your music is quite different than everything else out there. In one word, how would you describe it?"

"Progressive.... yeah, that's it..."
Shatterwolf View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 16:47

This is probably the most heated debate that always brought up on this forum.

Tales is a beautiful album, the crowned king of my Yes albums. The Revealing Science of God was absolutely brilliant, and I only listen to it when I am alone in the dark, because I usually cry, the song is so powerful. I even have the cover as the backround for my desktop.

Though I agree it's not as vibrant as CTTE, I thought it was great that Yes was able to expand their horizon, and produce something so good and original. (In other words, kudos to Squire and Anderson)

So why did Wakeman leave? I'm pretty sure that him and Howe didn't offer any insight into Tales. They didn't help create it, which really says alot about the minds of Chris and Jon. They probably felt left out, and they shouldn't have; prog rock should be and always has been a combined effort of all it's members. But thank God he came back.

It was pretty sad, if this Yes album was getting the praise as it deserved, Yes would be as widely recognized as Pink Floyd with the adults, and the kids too. (EVERYONE knows atleast on 'Floyd song. Yes? No.)

I don't see how the critics were so merciless...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 16:50

Howe / Anderson were the writing partners for TFTO - They jammed by candlelight according to Jon Anderson....

Shatterwolf View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 16:57
Yea, I thought I was missing something. My bad, but you get my piont....
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 19:46
Topographic Oceans was the biggest reach the
band ever went for, and Rick Wakeman left
afterwards only to have the band produce the best
album they ever recorded with Patrick Moraz at the
keyboards. The band needed soundscapes and
atmospheres and Ricky got lost. Tony Banks for
instance was much more prolific. Rick is more of a
solo virtuoso. Patrick did it right, and boy did he!
Thats why I feel Ricky cant hang with the big boys!

Rick Wakeman is overrated and Topographic
Oceans was his minus opus! By the way Larry Fast
used to build synthesizers for Wakeman and
showed him how to use them.

Like him but he aint great!

Great album cover and title that keeps making you
want to figure it out, but it aint happening, face it!

Edited by DallasBryan
Matt0001 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 20:22
Am I the only person in the entire world that loves The Ancient? The tripped-out, manic intro may be favorite passage of music by Yes. It is just so entirely alien and strange. I have no idea where it came from. I love it.  Back as a teenager in the height of my Yes loving days Tales was one of my least favorite and least listened to Yes albums. Fifteen years later it joins Close to the Edge and Relayer as the few Yes albums I keep easilly accesible and listen to regularly. It seems that the less Yes-obsessed I became, the more I appreciated Tales. It is a fascinating thing to listen to. It is not a masterpiece. It has numerous flaws--as mentioned here...padded, repetitive, weak Wakeman, and so on. But it keeps drawing me back. There's just something intriguing and mysterious about it. In many ways I still feel like I haven't entirely figured it out. And The Ancient is killer.

Edited by Matt0001
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 00:38
Originally posted by Vegetableman Vegetableman wrote:

Speaking of TFTO... has anyone noticed that a good number of the big prog bands released a controversial double album after the album widely recognized (I'm saying that very loosely) as their best?

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery -> Works Vol. I

Floyd - Animals -> The Wall

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound -> The Lamb

Yes - Close to the Edge -> Tales

Good point (I think?).

One of the reasons might be, they gained confidence to take their ideas one step (or even more steps) further.

BTW. I really love the album, but like Relayer it took me several spins before I got it. And the only reason it isn't a masterpiece (IMO) is because of the keyboards. The vocals, guitar and bass parts are amazing, and the drums are better than OK.

Edited by tuxon
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
sky_mellows View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 00:53
Tales is a great work of art, but as with much Yes material, it may be VERY hard for a new (non fan) to listen to and appreciate.

I think a lot of this has to do with the instrumentation and mix.   For example, almost every Yes fan loves Relayer, but I don't think new listeners could deal with Gates of Delirium's most intense sections.

Just to put my comments in the appropriate context, I think one transitional section in Gates of  is perhaps the greatest moment in music ever!

I've often thought re-arranging Tales and Relayer and produce a more mellow mix of the instrumentation.  But then of course .. it just wouldn't be the same.

As with all Yes music, you really have to be taken there .. you have to let yourself go to that place of Topographic Oceans  ... and from that place looking back you can 'see it'!

Sky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>