Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat ELP Debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 22:39
ELP are fantastic...but if you don't like them, you don't like them!! I can't stand Caravan or Tool, so there you go!
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 23:54

Hey Garion, is impressive how things change in a couple of hours:

From being the good fellows who gave money to a hospital in exchange for nothing:

Garion81 wrote:

Quote They donate all proceeds from this show at the 400 seat club to the local children’s hospital. The only announcement was a radio announcement 12 hours before tickets went on sale. No pre announcement announcement or any nonsense like that, just the one. 

To a bunch of guys that didn't even knew the Children Hospital existed:

Garion81 wrote later:

Quote I think the club owner aranged the Childrens Hospital.  Not the band.  they probably didn't even know it existed. 

At the end you're making my whole point along this discussion:

Garion81 wrote:

Quote Look these guys are in buisness and bands that big are corporations.  It is much bigger than the artists themselves. Peoples jobs are at stake.  As for Steve Hackett well they let him up on stage didn't they?     Ivan you would feel the same way if you worked for any large money making corporation.

That's exactly what I've been saying most bands are corporations and everything they do has a side interest because it's business, so we agree at last.

By the way, I've been lawyer in Volvo many years and some of my actual clients are Corporations, so that's why I don't believe in big corporations making charity without any side reason. Big companies (and most great bads are big companies) normally don't give 10 bucks if they are not going to receive 20.

And it's Ok, their reason of being is to make money (If they also create great pieces of art it's better), not to donate it, that's why I don't believe in the commitment of The Clash with some social movements, they as most punk bands were posers that gave some leftovers to a couple of charities to keep exploiting the fans who believe they were radical social fighters and not only corporations created to make money.

Iván

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 00:47

Ivan,

I never said they did it for the hospital I just said the money went for the hospital. The owner of the Roxy, being a Los Angeles resident, is the one who set up the thing.  Genesis was in the middle of a world tour.  But even if they did not set it up they agreed to play and even you Ivan would have been in attendence if you could have.

I know about companies and their "generosity". Even still  I think this was a pretty cool thing Genesis did for their fans especially their older fans.  It wasn't a publicity stunt because it wasn't talked about in the media afterwards.

I know you are cyinical and it is OK but sometimes good things are done even if not quite as generous or pure as it was intended.  I am sure what ever child got the benefit of that $4000 will attest to that.

I know about it because I was there.  If I wasn't and unless someone I knew was  there I never would have heard of it.  Unlike in 1977 when Peter Gabriel played his first tour shows there at the Roxy it was all over the radio including a live  radio broadcast. (was lucky to see one of those too) This was really understated. That is what my point was.  Not a lot of chest thumping going on.

Edited by Garion81

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Pixel Pirate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 02:54
Prog Bands And Their Donations To Children's Hospitals has to be the most interesting discussion in Prog Archives so far.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678