Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed90s Iron Maiden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90s Iron Maiden
    Posted: September 26 2006 at 10:17
  To my surprise, I found that few people enjoy 90s Iron Maiden and they're disappointed about their albums. I may understand that for the Blaze Bailey era (no problem from me here), but for the two albums with Bruce dickinson (No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark), I really don't.
Any of you share my love for 90s Iron Maiden or am I a minority (again)?
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 11:07
I love the X Factor, Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death. I'm having problems with Dance of Death though. 

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 11:41
The Blaze era is as disappointing as the 'Ripper' Owens years were for Priest- the songs themselves weren't so bad but I didn't take to Blaze's strained vocals at all.

That said, the Bruce albums are no better. Fear Of The Dark's first half has some decent material but the second is mostly forgettable (it should have been edited down) and No Prayer For The Dying is one of their weakest albums- rather humdrum, basic metal that any band could have recorded.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 12:00
I was heavily dissapointed by The X-Factor, except for the excellent 'The Sign of the Cross'.
Virtual XI was way better, even though I enjoy only 50 % of the material (Futureal, The Clansman, Lightning Strikes Twice, Como Estas Amigo), but it was still Blaze singing, and I don't care much for his voice.  No Prayer for the Dying had it's moments, namely 'Tailgunner', 'No Prayer for the Dying' and 'Mother Russia', but it was a major let down after the wonderful '7th Son...'.  Fear of the Dark had great songs as well as mediocre songs, like 'The Apparition' and 'Weekend Warrior' (bloody awful trakcs, among the worst Iron Maiden recorded).  Their latest three albums are among the best they have made, to be ranked next to classics such as Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and 7th Son.  Good thing Dickinson and Smith came back!
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 12:09
Agree only partially with Micky ... ie that Fear of the Dark and No Prayer For The Dying were a dramatic drop from the 5 studio albums that came before (from Number of the Beast to 7th son) ... each of the two albums had some good tracks (I love the song No Prayer For The Dying) for a start ...

Never really got used to Bayley ...

And think that the three post reunion albums are overrated ... quite good, but way off the standards of the classic quintet

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 12:13
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

The Blaze era is as disappointing as the 'Ripper' Owens years were for Priest- the songs themselves weren't so bad but I didn't take to Blaze's strained vocals at all.

That said, the Bruce albums are no better. Fear Of The Dark's first half has some decent material but the second is mostly forgettable (it should have been edited down) and No Prayer For The Dying is one of their weakest albums- rather humdrum, basic metal that any band could have recorded.

I agree completely.
Both the Blaze-era albums contain real gems (Sign of the Cross, Man on the Edge, Lord of the Flies, Blood on the World's Hands, The Clansman, The Educated Fool), but the vocals aren't up to par!
And I hardly manage to remember any of the Brave New World songs...thankfully Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death are definitely better!

A flower?

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 12:20
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

No Prayer for the Dying had it's moments, namely 'Tailgunner', 'No Prayer for the Dying' and 'Mother Russia', but it was a major let down after the wonderful '7th Son...'.  Fear of the Dark had great songs as well as mediocre songs, like 'The Apparition' and 'Weekend Warrior' (bloody awful trakcs, among the worst Iron Maiden recorded).

I agree with your picks.
Standout tracks on Fear of the Dark I rate Afraid to shoot strangers, Fear is the Key, The Fugitive and Childhood's end
A flower?

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2006 at 12:25
Originally posted by BiGi BiGi wrote:

Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

No Prayer for the Dying had it's moments, namely 'Tailgunner', 'No Prayer for the Dying' and 'Mother Russia', but it was a major let down after the wonderful '7th Son...'.  Fear of the Dark had great songs as well as mediocre songs, like 'The Apparition' and 'Weekend Warrior' (bloody awful trakcs, among the worst Iron Maiden recorded).

I agree with your picks.
Standout tracks on Fear of the Dark I rate Afraid to shoot strangers, Fear is the Key, The Fugitive and Childhood's end

Great songs indeed !

I'd also add Be Quick or be Dead, and, obviously, Fear of the Dark.  Judas My Guide was an intriguing number also.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
spo1977 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 02:48
Blaze Baily was from a band called Wolfsbane. Iron Maiden did not utilize him very well. He was not Dickinson. He was closer to Dianno, but not really Dianno neither. I like Blaze, I just don't think he was right for Maiden.
JohnGargo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 16:57
I just wrote a review for THE X-FACTOR and I think it's one of Maiden's best albums.  Unfortunately, VIRTUAL XI is their worst.
ThirdEye View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2006 at 16:21
Hmmmm... Maiden in 90's... I must say that my fav is "No Prayer for the Dying" ! My worst is "Fear of the Dark", I really hate this one... I  don't know.. If Smith and Dickinson hadn't showed up, Maiden (maybe...) would have been disbanded... So, I'm soooo happy that they are back again Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply