Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIndiscipline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indiscipline
    Posted: October 05 2006 at 11:16
Has anyone heard this before? It sounds completely insane; King Crimson do arena rock with crowd almost singing along. Is that the only drum solo Bruford has done live? I can't think of any other song where they have more than doubled the track time.
the icon of sin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 11:21
Heard loads of versions of the song, one of the best for showcasing Belew's awesome/underrated vocals (I love it when he makes the crowd jump by first whispering then shouting the words). Plus the electronic drum solo...and you're right to put up a live performance, they usually extended and bettered it on stage.
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 11:35
Thanks for this fascinating solo by my favourite musician! Was this in 1983 or thereabouts? It reminds me a bit of Pierre Moerlen's solo on GAZEUSE, and it certainly is a far cry from Bill's earliest recorded solo (as far as I know): the strangely unexciting one on YESSONGS.

Of course he's done other wonderful solos on EARTHWORKS' live albums, but I never knew they gave him this much space in Crimso...
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 11:51
It is mostly this song (though I don't know the version mentioned by "condor") which made me appreciate '80's King Crimson. Simply amazing avant-garde stuff. Before bumping into this in one of the '90's live releases (possibly B'BOOM or Circus CD 1) I was dismayed by the stuff compiled in "Compact King Crimson"... such a bad idea to lump '80's stuff with ItCotCK classics!!!
Bill Bruford rocks!
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 12:09
    It was August 13 1982. I think this was the last night of their American tour which might explain the nature of the performance. Try here for more.
JrKASperov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 15:15
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Is that the only drum solo Bruford has done live? I can't think of any other song where they have more than doubled the track time.

B'Boom.
Footloose&Fancy Free.
Yessongs.

(the albums)
Epic.
 Post Reply Post Reply