FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDamien Rice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damien Rice
    Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:07

Dunno how most of you die hard prog fans here feel about non-prog music (hopefully your tastes arent confined entirely to Prog despite how fantastic it is), but I wanted to throw open this man for discussion.

I doubt he'l have escaped your notice, bursting onto the music scene with his debut album, 'O'. id just like to say, if you havent heard it yet, you really should. It is a masterpiece. Its not overproduced at all (you might even say underproduced lol), its just simple, straight from the man himself onto the CD. and if you've seen him live, well. He blew me away. His voice, his creativity even. For example on the recent BBC session he did that i managed to catch, at the end of one of his songs he did a build up type thing back into the main song where he would sing a phrase say, 4 times, and it would be recorded then and there, then played back so that he could sing a different phrase over the top of this one, then another until he had a whole layer. It worked wonderfully well to be fair. I mean its not a new invention or anything, but I was blown away by how he pulled it off.

Anyway im rambling now. So what any of you think? (I know what Frenchie thinks :p)

Look at how they flock to him
From an aisle of open sores
He knows that the taste is such
is such to die for
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:10
I've never even heard of him.....
THIS IS ELP
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:11
Originally posted by Giacas Giacas wrote:

Anyway im rambling now. So what any of you think? (I know what Frenchie thinks :p)

yes yes, damien is certainly a god and that concert was great. i heard his bsides album today in kanes, it had a funky sped up instrumental version of volcano and delicate live, the proffesser and that crappy cannonball radio mix. that concert was incredible. highly recommended. i know a lot of you people love jeff buckley, i dont know how famous damien rice is across the pond tho. i knows hes been on jay leno and conan o brien, even tom green shows!
The Worthless Recluse
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:14
check out www.eskimofriends.com . also he is on the OC quite a bit, tho i guess most of u dont watch teen dramas hehe. well i love it! hehe. do you guys get tom mcrae over there?
The Worthless Recluse
Giacas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:14

yeah i spose i forget that most people here are from the US. Still, check out www.damienrice.com. he really is worth the listen. Its nothing fancy, but its just... i duno it just has something. You know what i mean frenchie.

Hmm, i dont like the remixes. Their just speeded up with a drum beat wacked on. ruins the intimacy of the music i think. Im surprised Damien let them do it

is such to die for
Giacas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:16

ah Tom mcrae. Another one of my idols, although i didnt think you were such a big fan frenchie?

is such to die for
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:26
he started before damien but lacked the oomf, i have only heard just like blood, the first 2 and last 2 are lush, with a bit of mermiad blues and karaoke soul but it is a bit of a difficult album and his voice is nowhere near as gd as jeff or damien

as for the remixes, yes they suck and 2 he prolly didnt let em do it hehe
The Worthless Recluse
Giacas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:28
yeah he never did like record companies did he lol, good ol' Damien. Yeah well I like Tom's voice cus its different. And you should listen to his first album, self titled. I think that ones a bit better, both got some good stuff on though. even if you dont like his voice, the music is immense
is such to die for
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:46

its only £6/99 in kanes actually. but i got vulgar display of power by pantera instead. which is immense. ive heard you cut her hair and sauo paulo rain. the first one is a bit more lively isnt it?

The Worthless Recluse
Giacas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 18:56
umm well yeah, its a mix really
is such to die for
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 19:10
oh well...

!!!PANTERA!!!
The Worthless Recluse
Giacas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 19:12
lol, man i love the riff from Cemetery Gates. and the solo is insane. but anyway, OT lol
is such to die for
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 19:38
i know damien and tom, very good. O is one of the best albums ever made
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2005 at 12:10

Damien's from down the road from where I live, the girl who sings on the album, lisa hannigan, is the daughter of my girlfriend's boss and yes it's a bloody good album.

He started out in a band called Juniper, split from them, they became Bell X1, who themselves aren't bad, (check their album 'Music in Mouth').

Rice recorded O on a limited budget all over the place, in Kildare, where I live, and in a small studio Black Box, in the Loire Valley in France that has become something of a home from home for a lot of Irish artists in the loose 'collective' that Rice comes from - David Kitt, the Frames, Nina Hyne as well as Beth Orton, Josh Ritter and which is a favourite of producer Steve Albini.

It was picked up in the US by the Morning Becomes Eclectic radio show in LA, the show that broke the like of Coldplay and Travis in the States and he became something of an 'alternative' darling in LA.

It's a very good record and Damien is excellent live. Obviosuly he owes a lot of Jeff and Tim Buckley but he's got enough of his own style to stand clear of a whole slew of Irish 'singer/songwriters' here such as Kitt, Mark Geary, etc etc etc, In fact we're getting a bit ired of them! we need some rock 'n' roll.

If you like him also check out the Frames - their 'Dance the Devil' album from a few years ago is superb and their new 'Burn the Maps' is good too. Indeed, it's rumoured that their lead singer, Glan Hansard, wrote a recent single 'Fake' about Mr Rice after the two had been involved in a tug of love over a particular girl (Hansard lost!). Glen's a really good songwriter and the Frames are great live. 

Also worth a look are ann scott (excellent voice in a beth orton way), albert niland (fabulous acoustic cover version of 'wuthering heights'), Simple Kid (beck-ish) and autamata (who are just wonderful)

For more info on a load of Irish bands have a look at www.irishmusiccentral.com and www.theframes.ie 

Giacas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2005 at 15:56
thanks Arcer, some nice info there
is such to die for
 Post Reply Post Reply