Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Christian Prog Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which is the best In your opinion?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [20.51%]
6 [15.38%]
16 [41.03%]
8 [20.51%]
1 [2.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 22:37
I think I agree with both of you Edub and Ivan, I do believe art shouldn't be used as a tool for propaganda to convert people to your ideology, but yet if you have a passionate love for something then I think its ok to sing about it eg. love, religion, tales etc.
I guess I listen to music for the music not to be preached at, but if the musician has a strong attachment to their faith I'm not agaisnt it.

Thats why I often tire of watching the Simpsons, often Matt Groaning is trying to preach to us about politics and gay marriage and the enviroment. I just watch the Simpsons bacause I enjoy Homwer making an idiot of himself, and secondly to forget about politics. I don't watch the Simsons to be preached at by Matt Groaning, nor do I enjoy his preaching via Lisa Simpson.
This is an example of an artist abusing his art to try and manipulate the public to his/her view point. I hate manipulationg in the arts whether I agree with the idea or not.

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - October 10 2006 at 22:42

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 22:48
I am not sure about the Simsons preaching.  I think they take everything and make fun oif it.  They wouldn't have Homer spouting off the name of "Jebus" or calling the Daly Lama Talking Lamma. Wink

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 22:53
I didn't know any of these bands other than Neal were Christian. I mean Glass Hammer's Chronomotree is about Yes (or CTTE) right? An the Inconsolable Secret has tons of medieval and magical reference. They even made a Lord of the Rings album!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 22:55
As far as the poll goes i chose Neal Morse,although it was a very difficult choice as i really like IONA and GLASS HAMMER as well.And Cheesecakemouse has a great point,i may be a christian but i really dislike being preached at,just like i don't like hearing anti-God rants in songs.I like gothic,metal,rio for the music,but when the artist tries to convert me to his/her view point,it's distracting to the music imo. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 23:09
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I didn't know any of these bands other than Neal were Christian. I mean Glass Hammer's Chronomotree is about Yes (or CTTE) right? An the Inconsolable Secret has tons of medieval and magical reference. They even made a Lord of the Rings album!

From Bob's "Easy Livin" interview with GH Wink:

P.A.: You are clearly happy to talk about your religious beliefs. Many reviewers criticize albums such as "Testimony" by Neal Morse as being  too overtly religious, to the point where the message is a  distraction from the music. Do you feel that such criticism is justified? If so, where do Glass Hammer draw the line when it comes to including religious messages and references in your music?

Fred: Well, Neal has a strong conviction to speak that way through his music at this point, and if he feels that way, he should.  People can take it or leave it, but that's part of his art right now.  I listen to all sorts of music I don't agree with a word of because it would just be too limiting not to; I can detach from that aspect of it.  But anyone who listens to Neal has to make that choice as to whether they are comfortable with his overt lyrics.  We sort of take the approach that we aren't going to hide what we think, but for us we feel we can talk about things that are important to us without being ungainly about it, or too distracting, as you put it.  We're out to make entertainment, not preach through music.

Steve: I make no distinction between my religion and my day to day life. It is all one to me. I am a Christian. And that doesn’t mean that I think I’m better than anyone else – it’s just who I am. And being a Christian means (to me) that I should take my ‘art’ seriously and that I should prayerfully consider the direction I go with my music and lyrics.

Christians often say they felt ‘led’ toward one decision or toward one direction or another. What they mean is that God is pushing them toward something. Some artists have chosen to label themselves Christian for marketing reasons while some avoid that label like the plague and for similar reasons. Some,honestly feel led to present themselves that way. I can’t answer for any of them.

For me, I have never felt led to perform Christian music within the framework of Glass Hammer. So, you will never hear us singing "Jesus" lyrics like the CCM bands do. We’re subtle. We’re the Narnia of prog. Is it a fantasy about a "lion a witch and a wardrobe", or is it really allegory? It’s up to you. Same with Glass Hammer – is The Inconsolable Secret about an evil knight and a cursed princess – or something more?

That’s the kind of thing I feel led to do – write allegory. But if the day comes that I feel God wants me to write Christian music exclusively, how do I refuse? And if I obey, how can this Christian’s art be ‘too overtly religious’?

I hope that everyone who likes symphonic-prog will enjoy GH. It is not my intention to alienate anyone. They’re all welcome. Do our lyrics make you cringe? I’m told by many that no one reads lyrics anymore anyway! Listen to Glass Hammer because you like the Moog solos and the Hammond organ. Listen because you like our songwriting. I think there is plenty here for any fan of symphonic-prog to relate to!

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 23:11
You could at least let me bask in my ignorance for awhile. Wink

And I've probably read that interview more than once. Embarrassed
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2006 at 23:16
LOL
Sorry man,  I'll try a wait a bit more the next time this comes up. Wink

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 02:28
Rick Wakeman ???? The same old Rick who played for Black Sabbath is doing Christian Music ????
Which record ???
I vote for him, anyway.
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 02:38

My vote is for...TULL! My God, Wind Up...that Bloody Old Church of England song...

Um...my vote is for...ELP! For JERUSALEM! Awesome song.

"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 03:01
Originally posted by Josepet Josepet wrote:

Rick Wakeman ???? The same old Rick who played for Black Sabbath is doing Christian Music ????
Which record ???
I vote for him, anyway.

If you read the posts written in the previous pages, you will notice Wakey's music is not "Christian" at all... (I can't help but agree with Ivan M. M. in this respect...) Well, at least wakey himself is Christian...

I want to ask what's wrong with Sabbath!?!? They have more Christian references in their music (at least in Ozzy years) than any of their peers! Check out Master of Reality's lyrics, notably After Forever and Lord of This World!
(well, actually they have more psychedelic references within their own catalogue than anything else, but that's another storyTongue.. Fairies Wear Boots, Sweet Leaf etc...)

one more thing: Wakey doesn't seem to have been "born again" Christian at the time of his collaboration with Sabbath. Correct me if I'm wrong.

a missing link in the list is Barclay James Harvest IMHO. they have much more Christian references than Wakey (I don't know anyone from the rest of the list); but if you don't considier them "prog", that's another storyWink
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 06:12

Stone, from what I understand, they're Christians, but choose to keep that side separate from their music. Although, I can detect bits and pieces in Lex Rex.

E

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 06:18
Oh, and one other thing--more proof that Glass Hammer are Christians is the fact that Susie Bogdanowicz is an angel.

Now that girl gives me the warmies.

E

Edited by E-Dub - October 11 2006 at 06:19
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 11:54
I've voted for Iona, on the strength of a stunning gig they performed a few years ago (complete with Troy Donockley strangling several small Uilean mammals), with Mostly Autumn as support.... a truly great evening....Clap
MadcapLaughs84 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 12:27
Neal Morse
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 19:00

Originally posted by Uroboros Uroboros wrote:

...It's just Christian believers like hundreds of billions of other people on the globe....

Not to be a smart ass, but there are only about 7 billion people on the earth. Wink

Not much of a smart arse are you Stonie, theres only 6 billion people on Earth anyway.Wink
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 19:14
Don't like it.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Minimalist777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 21:21
Well, yes Wakeman isnt really Christian in his lyrics, but he is a devout Christian. I suppose I should have included Proto-Kaw, if I included him. Haha, I always forget Kansas and related things in my polls it seems (see my latest poll about classic symphonic prog) Despite the fact that they are one of my favorite bands. Anyways, I didnt mean to offend anyone with this poll, but I am politely requesting that you not come in here just to bash Christianity, notice I dont go into the black metal thread and bash Satanism (yes, I know alot of that isnt actually worshipping Satan etc. but I think yall get the point Im trying to make.) As far as messages in art. If it doesnt interfere with the music, and the artists still strive to make good quality music (or painting, sculpture, whatever) I think its fine. Some of the greatest art has been done on religious subjects (the famous Pieta statue in the Vatican, the St. Matthews Passion by J.S. Bach, Sufi music etc.)

Edited by Minimalist777 - October 11 2006 at 21:22
WWOSD?
What Would OliverStoned Do?
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 10:30
Neal Morse
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 12:55
Hehehe, wheres Shadow Gallery? Im serious about this, they are very into christianity...I still would never vote for them

hehehe, Christian progLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL now thats some funny stuff, I have no problem when some artists are spiritual like Jon Anderson, Peter Gabriel or even Neal Morse...but to say that some of that music is Christian prog jejeje, it sounds rather ...LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

"You want me to play what, Robert?"
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 17:24
Out of these bands, IONA is by far the best : absolutely gorgeous female vocals, wide instrumentation, writing good complex compositions as well as simpler 'pop'-oriented songs. All their albums are gems, which cannot be said of the other listed artists. BTW, Robert Fripp plays soundscapes on some of their albums.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123