Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRequiring Accounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Requiring Accounts
    Posted: October 16 2006 at 22:48
Oftentimes in reviews we will see people who are not registered at all with the site. This flusters me to a degree, because it is often the case, (I would say over 90% of the time) that these people only review albums they like, and thus, only 5 star ratings, or albums they loathe, and give 1 star reviews that usually are innapropriate.

Unfortunately, when they do review these albums, they often will completely skew the rankings. They don't appreciate the context of the site and how it is meant to be used. Requiring accounts before reivews are allowed might to help alleviate some of these issues, as if they are members they will be forced to deal directly with the people here should problems arise.

Otherwise people can alias forever giving only 5 and 1 star ratings that generally have no use to a music public.
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 22:51
    I tend to agree. Just as I think you should back up your rating with a review, people should have to join if they wish to contribute.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 04:11
M@x is working on making it mandatory to log in using your forum password before posting reviews. Should be in place soon.

Ratings without reviews are an old chestnut. The compromise arrangement is that they have less influence on the overall ratings than ratings with reviews. (And SC & PR reviews have an even greater influence).
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

M@x is working on making it mandatory to log in using your forum password before posting reviews. Should be in place soon.

Ratings without reviews are an old chestnut. The compromise arrangement is that they have less influence on the overall ratings than ratings with reviews. (And SC & PR reviews have an even greater influence).

That's good.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 15:06
I don't see how someone who's intent on love/hate reviews of the type you describe will be deterred by forcing them to get an account.  Won't they just sign up and then post the same reviews?  I guess it's possible some of the lazy out there will quit and go home when forced to create an account.
 Post Reply Post Reply