Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow did you find your way to Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 03:02

I was born in 1987, and had been a heavy metal fan since 1999. One day, for no apparent reason I thought I'd buy a Dream Theater album because I'd heard OF them and wanted to see what they were like. I bought "Images And Words" (nice starting point I suppose).

At first, I really hated it. I wasn't use to the funny time signatures, time changes and long epic tracks... BUT... after a while it grew on me...

Two years later, although still a metal fan (of old 80's/early 90's metal), I'm a full fledged Prog Rocker.

Emperor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 04:57

Originally posted by Beau Heem Beau Heem wrote:

This question has been in my mind for ages; How are ppl introduced the world of progressive rock? Obviously, there are two very different categories, when it comes how prog has gotten to us
1. Those alive (and thinking) in the late 60 early 70s
2. Those yet to be born or just too young to listen to music at the time.

Born in 1980, I obviously fall in the second category...

I suppose that the way I got interested (and to some extent involved) in progressive rock is somewhat different from the "typical" way, whatever it might be.

My parents used to listen to a wide variety of music (classical, jazz, blues, rock and even progrock, I suppose) and I learned to appreciate almost all sorts of music (except, say, punk and metal).

At 11 or 12 I had heard and listened to Bohemian Rhapsody repeteadly, on and on again, just because I couldn't understand how such a piece could ever have been made...

Hello, Beau Heem!

It seems like your Prog-story is very similar to mine, except one thing: none or my parents listened Prog (and Rock music) at all, though after I have become to listen Progressive my Grandmother started to like it... :-)

I also fall to the 2nd category, because I was born in 1979. And BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY was the 1st epic composition I've discovered (I still remember all the great impressions I've got after the 1st listen of it!).

So my way to Progressive was: Beatles/Creedence/Rolling Stones/Shoking Blue - Deep Purple/Pink Floyd/Queen/Doors/Jimi Hendrix/Uriah Heep/Black Sabbath/Led Zeppelin/JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR - King Crimson/Yes/Genesis/Jethro Tull... So after 15 years old I've exactly become a Prog-fan ;-)

Edited by Emperor
I Prophesy Disaster...
Emperor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 05:02
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

When I was 12, my brother who was 14 years older than me, bought me "In the Court of the Crimson King".... it was all over with from there!!

Almost the same was with myself - I still think that ITCOTCK is the best starting point for Progressive Rock.

I Prophesy Disaster...
Elephant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 06:02

It's always nice to contribute your own story in such a big pile of histories. Being born in 1982, I obviously fall into the second category as stated by topicstarter. I started listening to popular music when I was about 14, listening to Oasis and Blur and stuff like that. Next band was Radiohead, of which I'm still a fan.

About the time I started to play bass guitar, I expanded my musical horizon with metal and jazz. So I listened to slayer, pantera, emperor, in flames, etc. in the metal genre, and Miles, Jaco Pastorius and, of course, Weather Report in the jazz corner. All great music, but still, prog was something completely unknown to me. Until I purchased two dvd's which I didn't know at all. Rush in Rio and Eyes wide open by KC. I didn't care much for the Rush dvd, but was completely blown away by the efforts of Fripp and co.

So I started the grand prog journey, which also led me here. Still really at the beginning of the path, but liking every step of it!

- It's all talk -
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 06:19

^ It seems that with most people, curiosity and a desire for something more than the mainsteam rock or pop sounds draws individuals to prog. Sites like this offer a means to discuss and enhance the prog experience.

Plus we get to see Reed and Velvet get silly.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Jethro Fish View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 06:31

When I was 10 years old (1984) my older brother came home with two newly purchased LP's, Marillion's "Script for a jester's tear" and "Fugazi".

I instantly fell in love with this intriguing music. Up until then I was mostly in to hard rock and heavy metal (influences from my older brother as well of course).

I began reading up on anything I could find about Marillion in magazines and so forth. In every article I read the writers mentioned Marillion being influenced by Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd so immediately I went out and bought "Close to the edge" and "90125" by Yes and "Selling England by the pound" by Genesis.

There has been no looking back since.

All the best,
Per

www.salvaband.com
New cd: Salva "Left to burn", out now
Available through:
www.caerllysimusic.co.uk
www.progressrec.com
www.justforkicks.de
www.salvaband.com
chorus of one View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 07:26
Originally posted by Rob The Good Rob The Good wrote:

Yeah we in New Zealand are starved of Prog to some extent. There is only ONE NZ band in the archives, and that's Ragnarok...but I can't find anything by them (even in their native country!)

Being born in the good old year of '86, I had to discover it myself...it all started with one song: Nights in White Satin.

Ah another kiwi! What city are you from?
charliefreakz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 11:22
Aged 13 in 1978, my pal and I were intrigued by the following
albums in his older brother's collection.
King Crimson, ITCOTKC
Yes, Fragile
Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon,
ELP, First
Plus my dad's pal knew Barriemore Barlow and he lent me a
bunch of Jethro Tull albums around the same time (Funnily
enough, I've never really been a Tull fan). But those other
albums set me off. The older bro went off to university and
returned a term later with a new short haircut and new
wardrobe, singing the praises of Wreckless Eric and Graham
Parker. My pal in herited the prog while the brother underwent
his new wave transformation.
Squirrel_monkey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 13:47

I was born in 1987, I got ELO's greatest hits when I was about 7 and loved it. I played it over and over again, and being an obsessive type I bought the whole lot. That's how I found the early stuff which was strange and cool. I decided I wanted more and got into Moody blues and Early Genesis. My mum figured out what sort of music I enjoyed and fueld it by buying me albums by other bands, Yes being one of them.

Then I was looking in an encyclopedia, and found that all my favorite bands fitted into the category of 'Prog' rock.

My Dad listened to a lot of Opera and Classical music and I used to listen to classic FM, so I had an appreciation of slightly better music. I've allways loved the 'soft' sound of strings or synth, and the 'full' sound of lots of different instruments and harmonies. Simple pop sounds hard and empty to me. I also allways loved dramatic music.

i!i!i!i!i! SqUiRrEl MoNkEy i!i!i!i!i!
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 13:56
Bilden “http://members.iinet.net.au/~farmerjim/family/19girls%20at%20roadsign.jpg” kan inte visas, då den innehåller fel.
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 16:21

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 17:03

Dude, you left out Hawkwind...

Edited by Certif1ed
Jim Prog Wizard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 17:26

I started really getting into music when I was 16.  I all began with the Iron Maiden album "Brave New World".  I'd never properly listened to music before, actually sat down and just listened to it, but it completely blew me away.  I was amazed, after a life-time of hearing bland rubbish on the radio, that music could have such an effect on you.

Through talking to other IM fans, I found Dream Theater, and discovered a truly spectacular band.  However, while DT led me to similarly modern discoveries like Tool and Ayreon, I never heard any of THAT seventies' stuff.

Not long after that, I discovered that the biggest influence on Steve Harris from IM (a personal idol of mine, as I'm a bass player) was Genesis.  "Genesis?" I thought, "but that's Phil Collins' pop band, isn't it?"  How little I knew.  Soon I took the plunge, and bought Nursery Cryme for a mere £5 in the HMV sale.  I've never looked back.  It opened up a whole other world for me, one where music is not bound by rules, and some of the greatest pieces of music ever wriiten may be found.  This in turn led me to appreciate similarly-neglected forms of art, like classical and jazz, but my heart will now always belong to Prog.

"Progressive Rock is the ultimate form of music" (Mikael Akerfeldt, 2003)
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 17:43

Originally posted by chorus of one chorus of one wrote:

I was born in 1989 so obviously missed the prog boat...No big story here, I just discovered the music on the internet, I've been searching out different things and expanding my tastes for years.

I often search the Net for new music and things too, just for the sake of expanding my tastes and broadening my horizons. I have actually found some good stuff doing things this way.

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 17:44

in 1978/79 my brother's (3 years older than me) friend from New York brought us a bunch of records from the States to listen to. At the time, I was 12/13 and listening to a diet of standard radio top40 (admittedly not bad in those halcyon days)

Anyway, Sean (sadly later killed in the Lockerbie disaster) brought us Kansas' Monolith and Two for the Show as well as some other stuff on a compilation tape (which I still have) which featured amongst the Neil Yong 'Out of the Blue into the Black' and AC/DC radio show recordings from around the release of Powerage,some Peter Gabirel. My cousin also had a copy of Dark Side and I was intrigued by the stickers and the album sleeve (though he also had Kiss Double Platinum too- urrrrrgh!)

At the same time, of my own accord, I was getting into ELO (Discovery), Zeppelin (In through the out door and Song Remains the Same) and Supertramp (Breakfast in America). I then heard Genesis' 'Turn it on Again', Rush's 'Spirit of Radio' and Peter Gabriel's 'Games without Frontiers' - all practically in the same week as they were in the UK singles chart at the same time (amazing huh?!) - and was hooked.

I went out and bought Permanent Waves (a toss-up between that and Duke - couldn't afford both) and a little later heard Yes' 'Run Through the LIght' (just released) on Radio Luxembourg. That was it.

Have to say though that at the same time I was hearing the Jam, Blondie, The Police, Stranglers etc etc and i think that gave me some good perspective and catholic taste in music.

But the proggy stuff - just always does it forme and Leftoverture remains one of my all-timefavourite records- thanks Sean RIP!

chorus of one View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 18:03
Originally posted by redbar89 redbar89 wrote:

Originally posted by chorus of one chorus of one wrote:

I was born in 1989 so obviously missed the prog boat...No big story here, I just discovered the music on the internet, I've been searching out different things and expanding my tastes for years.

I often search the Net for new music and things too, just for the sake of expanding my tastes and broadening my horizons. I have actually found some good stuff doing things this way.

It's a great tool for reasearching music, in fact I've found just about everything I listen to this way.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 18:12
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

in 1978/79 my brother's (3 years older than me) friend from New York brought us a bunch of records from the States to listen to. At the time, I was 12/13 and listening to a diet of standard radio top40 (admittedly not bad in those halcyon days)

Anyway, Sean (sadly later killed in the Lockerbie disaster) brought us Kansas' Monolith and Two for the Show as well as some other stuff on a compilation tape (which I still have) which featured amongst the Neil Yong 'Out of the Blue into the Black' and AC/DC radio show recordings from around the release of Powerage,some Peter Gabirel. My cousin also had a copy of Dark Side and I was intrigued by the stickers and the album sleeve (though he also had Kiss Double Platinum too- urrrrrgh!)

At the same time, of my own accord, I was getting into ELO (Discovery), Zeppelin (In through the out door and Song Remains the Same) and Supertramp (Breakfast in America). I then heard Genesis' 'Turn it on Again', Rush's 'Spirit of Radio' and Peter Gabriel's 'Games without Frontiers' - all practically in the same week as they were in the UK singles chart at the same time (amazing huh?!) - and was hooked.

I went out and bought Permanent Waves (a toss-up between that and Duke - couldn't afford both) and a little later heard Yes' 'Run Through the LIght' (just released) on Radio Luxembourg. That was it.

Have to say though that at the same time I was hearing the Jam, Blondie, The Police, Stranglers etc etc and i think that gave me some good perspective and catholic taste in music.

But the proggy stuff - just always does it forme and Leftoverture remains one of my all-timefavourite records- thanks Sean RIP!

Hey Arcer, I didn't know you liked Kansas.  Great story and sorry for your loss of your friend.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 00:03
Good one Reed 
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 08:56
garion81 wrote: Hey Arcer, I didn't know you liked
Kansas.  Great story and sorry for your loss of your
friend.

Oh yeah, huge Kansas fan - at least from the debut
up until Monolith - it all went downhill from there
though as far as I could see.

Still, I think they're cruelly dismissed by a lot of
people. The melodies are superb, the singing
(which I admit to some might be a bit grating in a
pop/rock way) appeals to me, the harmonies are
really good and they're way unederappreciated as
musicians - some great keyboard playing and
always really nice choice of synth sounds.

Intrigued by the reunion album somewhere to
elsewhere or whatever it's called and by the
proto-kaw stuff. Worth buying?
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 11:25
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Dude, you left out Hawkwind...

ELP should of been on top!!

THIS IS ELP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>