FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis - Gabriel Lies Down On Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis - Gabriel Lies Down On Broadway
    Posted: January 14 2005 at 16:55

Okay, this is really hard for me to admit, but recently, I've found myself liking certain tracks by Genesis, principally 'Supper's Ready' and the whole second CD of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.  In a mad panic, I decided to acquire their other albums surrounding this period just to reassure myself that I was in fact just having a sanity blip and would promptly be back to hating them by morning light.  It didn't work.  I tried hammering PFM's entire back catalogue into my ears ALL DAY, to quell the echo's of Gabriel's dulcet tones.  No use.  Every time the music stopped, I kept imagining the "great dodgy prog bum grape" appearing with "And it's.....hey babe"

Anyway, here's a Genesis question from essentially a Newbie (excuses).  Is it my imagination, or does Gabriel suddenly leap from well-bred Home Counties BBC accent on Foxtrot/  ("And its...." ) or Selling England By The Pound (whichever came first), to a bona fide New Yawk drawl on the Lamb Lies Down - and is this deliberate? Has he become Broadway?  Its just that, by the time Collins starts singing on Trick of the Tail (thank God for that album - something I can really hate....), we're back to Chas'N'Dave style cockney innit dawlin'. 

Sorry to any Americanos out there who might be wondering what the hell I'm on about.

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 17:31
just another one of Gabriel's on-record personas I would guess. Much dropping into character's voices on 'Harold the Barrel' and 'The Battle of Epping Forest' etc
Jethro Fish View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 17:39

Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

just another one of Gabriel's on-record personas I would guess. Much dropping into character's voices on 'Harold the Barrel' and 'The Battle of Epping Forest' etc

Yup, that's pretty much it. Gabriel was a very theatrical singer and would often act out different roles during songs (listen to "Get 'em out by Friday" and you'll hear Gabriel doing a whole cast of characters).

As for "The lamb lies down on broadway", the whole thing is set in New York and Peter is stepping in to the persona of Rael which is the main character of the story (actually a Puerto Rican kid in NYC).

Edited by Jethro Fish
All the best,
Per

www.salvaband.com
New cd: Salva "Left to burn", out now
Available through:
www.caerllysimusic.co.uk
www.progressrec.com
www.justforkicks.de
www.salvaband.com
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 18:09
Just enjoy it Ninian. The whole Gabriel/Genesis trip will make your life so much better.As much as I seriously dislike Collins ,Trick was a great album.But to the mighty Lamb(my second fave prog album) it will blow you away, as a different melody and lyric and instrumental hook line invades your head for a very long time to come
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 18:32

Interesting you say that, as I remember hearing Jeff Buckley cover 'Back In NYC' on Sketches, and of all the songs on the double album, that was the one that immediately stuck in my head - I didn't even know it was Genesis at the time!

My discovery of Genesis gets more intriguing.  Are there any other websites with all this trivia b****ks on it, as I dont want to bore the Geneso-dinosaurs on this site with the same old questions again.  I'm scared to go on the official site in case someone sees the URL on my computer

Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 19:57
You should never be ashamed of liking Genesis...unless it's 80s pop Genesis
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 21:25

As Jethro said before, Peter assumed the chatracter of RAEL, a young Puerto Rican troubled kid, so he uses the New York accent, one of his main talents was assuming different characters and voices during his songs and albums.

Try Battle for the Epping Forest and you'll here 10 or more different voices or personas all interpreted by Gabriel.

By the way, I TOLD YOU....Sooner or later you'll be a Genesis fan, welcome to the Genesis family 

Iván

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 21:48
Poor Ninian... you fell so easily!!  So sad
THIS IS ELP
sober7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 22:54

Hi, new here.  Just don't understand how you can be a fan of prog-rock and not like Genesis, and especially Peter Gabriel. I recomend you have a listen to it all. Every album they have done has a couple of good songs on them. My preference is the Gabriel era, wish I had of seen them then. Have

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 23:17

Welcome Sober7 (the seven stands for 7 days a week I presume).

Your first post, and already so on the mark, impressive.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 04:30

Originally posted by Rob The Good Rob The Good wrote:

You should never be ashamed of liking Genesis...unless it's 80s pop Genesis

They should have changed their name when Gabriel left.  DEUTERONOMY or something.  Then again when Hackett left - CHRONICLES. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 04:34
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

As Jethro said before, Peter assumed the chatracter of RAEL, a young Puerto Rican troubled kid, so he uses the New York accent, one of his main talents was assuming different characters and voices during his songs and albums.

Try Battle for the Epping Forest and you'll here 10 or more different voices or personas all interpreted by Gabriel.

By the way, I TOLD YOU....Sooner or later you'll be a Genesis fan, welcome to the Genesis family 

Iván

This is YOUR fault Ivan - if we'd not had that fight, I'd never have gone back to listen to them again and they'd be resting in my "Vault of the Don't Waste Your Time" along with Kansas, Styx, Alan Parsons, and all 80s prog.

Edited by Wrath_of_Ninian
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 04:43

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Poor Ninian... you fell so easily!!  So sad

I know, it didn't take very much - couple of listens really.  I'm not coping well with this.

I'm still having trouble stomaching Nursery Cryme, SEBTP and the later ones, but the Lamb Lies Down and Foxtrot have some really good moments.  I'd never reached the second CD of Lamb before, in fact, I'd never got to the end of the first one, and I think forcing myself to listen to the whole thing is what did it. 

I also think the timing was right - I've been listening to the same things for years and have been hard pushed to find anything of the standard of PFM that I can alternate between.  ELP sometimes fill in, but I can only play a few compilations I've made as their horror moments make me homicidal   !!  Genesis aren't quite up there with PFM, but bits of it do have a similar 'feel' (what a crap analogy!!).  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 04:48
Originally posted by sober7 sober7 wrote:

Hi, new here.  Just don't understand how you can be a fan of prog-rock and not like Genesis, and especially Peter Gabriel. I recomend you have a listen to it all. Every album they have done has a couple of good songs on them. My preference is the Gabriel era, wish I had of seen them then. Have

I've had a listen to them all Sober7 and as you said, parts of them are really good.  More may grow on me, but I know what I like and I like what I.... 

I'm kind of wishing I'd seen them then too (I'm 32 and only really grew up to COllins era mince) - all I know is what I saw on that Prog Rock Top Ten with Gabriel dressed as a flower. 

By the way, have what? 

Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 05:46
Peter Gabriel's recording studio is about a 20 minute drive from my house.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 05:59

Can you pop over and ask him why he wrote 'Sledgehammer'? 

mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 07:55
Originally posted by Wrath_of_Ninian Wrath_of_Ninian wrote:

Can you pop over and ask him why he wrote 'Sledgehammer'? 

Or Shock the monkey...But overall, Gabriel is one of the finest artist on the rock scene. One of the fews that falls on the genius category.
sober7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 08:47
 I meant to say that I have seen THE MUSICAL BOX. Has anyone else here seen this band. Since we can't see the original Genesis, this band is the next best thing. They are doing the Lamb tour presently, if they play in your area, go see them.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 11:17

Wrath of Ninian wrote:

Quote This is YOUR fault Ivan - if we'd not had that fight, I'd never have gone back to listen to them again and they'd be resting in my "Vault of the Don't Waste Your Time" along with Kansas, Styx, Alan Parsons, and all 80s prog.

Don't be unfair Wrath, we never fought, we only had a discussion, but today I'm proud of a job well done

I'll wait a few weeks to introduce you to the wonders of Kansas, band that you unfairly lump with Styx and late Alan Parsons. Hope I will succeed again.

God I feel like the Evangelist of the hated bands.

Iván

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 11:50

Originally posted by Valarius Valarius wrote:

Peter Gabriel's recording studio is about a 20 minute drive from my house.

Let us know if you see 4 other cars pulling up there, and some old guys with guitars, keyboards and drums getting out!Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>