Topic ClosedGenesis - Gabriel Lies Down On Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 12:35
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Wrath of Ninian wrote:

Quote This is YOUR fault Ivan - if we'd not had that fight, I'd never have gone back to listen to them again and they'd be resting in my "Vault of the Don't Waste Your Time" along with Kansas, Styx, Alan Parsons, and all 80s prog.

Don't be unfair Wrath, we never fought, we only had a discussion, but today I'm proud of a job well done

I'll wait a few weeks to introduce you to the wonders of Kansas, band that you unfairly lump with Styx and late Alan Parsons. Hope I will succeed again.

God I feel like the Evangelist of the hated bands.

Iván

You lawyers take everything so literally - it was actually meant in an endearing way...!

ANyway, credit where credit is due Ivan - I grant you that your undying determination to defend the Genesis camp from the word 'rubbish', was certainly behind me getting ahold of the Lamb again, if only to try and rubbish it formally!  And it backfired on me...!!   But do not rest on your laurels , for I have decided that the other Gabriel albums are nowhere near as good, and in fact, with the exception of some sublime moments on Foxtrot, they are vastly inferior.  

With regards to Kansas, please don't bother.  I listened to Leftoverture yesterday, and it is the worst thing I've heard since Cliff Richard.  Sugary sweet M.O.R., A.O.R., C.R.A.P. with some of the most horrifically bad lyrics, smattered like Nutella over a brioche of bog-standard riffage in a strawberry milkshake of mono-dynamic pop schmultz.  It churned my stomach, Ivan .      

"Now all the seasons run together, and the middle days are gone..."
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 12:40
Good for you Ivan, however, Genesis are still not pretentious or bombastic enough for me...
THIS IS ELP
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 16:52
Originally posted by Wrath_of_Ninian Wrath_of_Ninian wrote:

Wrath of Ninian wrote:

Quote This is YOUR fault Ivan - if we'd not had that fight, I'd never have gone back to listen to them again and they'd be resting in my "Vault of the Don't Waste Your Time" along with Kansas, Styx, Alan Parsons, and all 80s prog.

Don't be unfair Wrath, we never fought, we only had a discussion, but today I'm proud of a job well done

I'll wait a few weeks to introduce you to the wonders of Kansas, band that you unfairly lump with Styx and late Alan Parsons. Hope I will succeed again.

God I feel like the Evangelist of the hated bands.

Iván

You lawyers take everything so literally - it was actually meant in an endearing way...!

ANyway, credit where credit is due Ivan - I grant you that your undying determination to defend the Genesis camp from the word 'rubbish', was certainly behind me getting ahold of the Lamb again, if only to try and rubbish it formally!  And it backfired on me...!!   But do not rest on your laurels , for I have decided that the other Gabriel albums are nowhere near as good, and in fact, with the exception of some sublime moments on Foxtrot, they are vastly inferior.  

With regards to Kansas, please don't bother.  I listened to Leftoverture yesterday, and it is the worst thing I've heard since Cliff Richard.  Sugary sweet M.O.R., A.O.R., C.R.A.P. with some of the most horrifically bad lyrics, smattered like Nutella over a brioche of bog-standard riffage in a strawberry milkshake of mono-dynamic pop schmultz.  It churned my stomach, Ivan .      

Then try this WON. Sound quality is not great but you should get the general idea. :

http://rich-williams.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuild erfiles/1974_The_Pinnacle.wmv

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 17:33

Yep. 

Sorry, was I supposed to be swayed into the Kansas camp by that?  I appreciate the cool clip Garion (I can't even master uploading my own pictures yet...!), but Kansas are just everything I hate about the prog genre.  They epitomise everything I try to play down when my contemporaries lay their boots into the genre for supposedly being pretentious and elitist.  But worse than this, I actually DO dislike it - it sounds vapid and stale - music for music's sake. Making a living rather than living the dream.  There's no passion in the voices, there's no feeling in the lyrics - its utter pretense, and it plays into the hands of those who think prog is worthless. For that, it should be demonised!

Sorry Garion, I cant even bring myself to listen to Magnum Opus again (which was the best track by a considerable distance).  Indeed, were it not for the considerable support they seem to get on this site, I would be calling for their dismissal from the Archives altogether.  Most of that album sounds like Lynard Skynard (is that how you spell it?)

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 18:41

Hey Wrath, do me a favour, listen Song for America once and the talk to me again.

Iván

PS: Sooner or later you'll start to like Nursery Cryme, Selling England (even though is the weaker Gabriel Genesis album IMHO) and you'll start to hate the name Phil Collins when refered to any activity different to playing drums.

Iván

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 18:54

Can you pop over and ask him why he wrote 'Sledgehammer'? 

ClapClap

That's the best post this year! LOLLOL

Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 19:00

Can you pop over and ask him why he wrote 'Sledgehammer'? 

Sure.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 19:35

Hey Wrath, do me a favour, listen Song for America once and the talk to me again.

Iván

NO.

PS: Sooner or later you'll start to like Nursery Cryme, Selling England (even though is the weaker Gabriel Genesis album IMHO) and you'll start to hate the name Phil Collins when refered to any activity different to playing drums.

Iván

I ALREADY hate him, and his drumming....

You never hear him mentioned in "Who's The Best Drummer" Polls

Di Cioccio could fall off his drum stool and it would still sound more apt than Collins' contributions.  That said, The Lamb Lies Down (including Collins) works for some reason, and I'm still coming to terms with this... 

Sorry Ivan, I was a teenager in the late 1980s when Collins was everywhere - I still remember that You Cant Hurry Love video where he played all the instruments  

But my hatred was compounded when he got up from his piano at Live Aid US having foisted the opening bars of In The Air Tonight upon a disinterested crowd, many of whom were making for the pie stall, before he INTRODUCED my beloved Led Zeppelin as "some friends of his...."      I have NEVER forgiven Jimmy Page for that, and have hated that smug cockney g*t Collins ever since.   

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 19:36

ANd with that tirade, i just became a senior member!!  How apt... !

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 19:56

Yep. 

Sorry, was I supposed to be swayed into the Kansas camp by that?  I appreciate the cool clip Garion (I can't even master uploading my own pictures yet...!), but Kansas are just everything I hate about the prog genre.  They epitomise everything I try to play down when my contemporaries lay their boots into the genre for supposedly being pretentious and elitist.  But worse than this, I actually DO dislike it - it sounds vapid and stale - music for music's sake. Making a living rather than living the dream.  There's no passion in the voices, there's no feeling in the lyrics - its utter pretense, and it plays into the hands of those who think prog is worthless. For that, it should be demonised!

Sorry Garion, I cant even bring myself to listen to Magnum Opus again (which was the best track by a considerable distance).  Indeed, were it not for the considerable support they seem to get on this site, I would be calling for their dismissal from the Archives altogether.  Most of that album sounds like Lynard Skynard (is that how you spell it?)

Actually that was a 9 and half minute song from them in 1975.  If you truely gave it a chance I will just say we agree to disagree.  Growing up in the 70's my big 4 were ELP Genesis Kansas and Yes followed closely by Jethro Tull .  But I agree about Styx. I could also apply some of your reasons about what you don't like about Kansas to Triumvarat. Cheers 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 21:01

Quote Sorry Ivan, I was a teenager in the late 1980s when Collins was everywhere - I still remember that You Cant Hurry Love video where he played all the instruments

You don't have to say sorry, all the forum knows how I feel about Phil Collins and how he contributed to butcher my once favorite band.

If you read the polls I never voted for him as the best drummer even when I believe his really good with the sticks (A bit weak with his feet), I believe Bill Bruford, Manu Katche, Carl Palmer, Phil Ehart, Mattias Olsson (Anglagard), to mention a few are superior to him.

Iván

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 21:32
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Yep. 

They epitomise everything I try to play down when my contemporaries lay their boots into the genre for supposedly being pretentious and elitist.  But worse than this, I actually DO dislike it - it sounds vapid and stale - music for music's sake. Making a living rather than living the dream.  There's no passion in the voices, there's no feeling in the lyrics - its utter pretense, and it plays into the hands of those who think prog is worthless. For that, it should be demonised!

I just thought of one more comment ,WoN. sorry

That clip I sent you had more than just the music involved in it. Kansas made no money until Leftoverature.  They were not even a headliner until late 1976.  That clip was a tape of a live performance on an American National TV show in late 1975 before the recording of Leftoverature.  Granted you may not like their music but if they are what you say they are i.e.  music to make a living, no passion, basically a formula driven band etc.  Why would they choose to play their most progressive song off of the album they were touring with (Masque) to present their music to 16 million viewers?  It doesn't make sense.  They had a few other hard rock songs if that was what they wanted to do.  They chose that one I sent and another prog song. Just thought I would point that out. It is a rap they have had(and you are not alone on this forum with your feelings) that does not fit them through 1979.  That's all.

Edited by Garion81

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 21:36

Quote Sorry Ivan, I was a teenager in the late 1980s when Collins was everywhere - I still remember that You Cant Hurry Love video where he played all the instruments

You don't have to say sorry, all the forum knows how I feel about Phil Collins and how he contributed to butcher my once favorite band.

If you read the polls I never voted for him as the best drummer even when I believe his really good with the sticks (A bit weak with his feet), I believe Bill Bruford, Manu Katche, Carl Palmer, Phil Ehart, Mattias Olsson (Anglagard), to mention a few are superior to him.

Iván

I still think you would have gone to that Roxy show Ivan.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 22:26

Quote I still think you would have gone to that Roxy show Ivan.

It may sound strange specially living in Perú, where good Concerts are not very common, and progheads go to everything they can.

In Lima I saw Jethro Tull (2 times), ELP, Yes, Jon Anderson (I felt asleep though), Rick Wakeman (2 times and even the famous concert that started a 1:00 am and ended near 5:00 am brecause his instruments ended in Paraguay), Kansas (With John Elefante, a band that wasn't really Kansas), Santana and must confess I even went to see Men at Work and Air Supply (My girlfriend insisted on this one).

But there are two concerts I refused to go one was Village People and the other one was Phil Collins, even when all my friends went.

Iván

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 22:29

Quote I still think you would have gone to that Roxy show Ivan.

It may sound strange specially living in Perú, where good Concerts are not very common, and progheads go to everything they can.

In Lima I saw Jethro Tull (2 times), ELP, Yes, Jon Anderson (I felt asleep though), Rick Wakeman (2 times and even the famous concert that started a 1:00 am and ended near 5:00 am brecause his instruments ended in Paraguay), Kansas (With John Elefante, a band that wasn't really Kansas), Santana and must confess I even went to see Men at Work and Air Supply (My girlfriend insisted on this one).

But there are two concerts I refused to go one was Village People and the other one was Phil Collins, even when all my friends went.

Iván

Was just teasing my friend.  We seem to agree more than disagree.  It was a good show though even without Peter and Steve.  They did play the knife and The musical Box (not just an excerpt)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 22:37

Quote Was just teasing my friend. 

Now you tell me after I had to confess I went to see Air Supply and Men at Work

Thanks God i didn't went to see

Iván

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 22:40

Quote Was just teasing my friend. 

Now you tell me after I had to confess I went to see Air Supply and Men at Work

Thanks God i didn't went to see

Iván

Isn't the guy with the headress on Reed Lover and yes I think that is Peter as the cowboy!

That is OK Ivan I saw Black Oak Arkansas once

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 00:46

Actually Garion...what song is Pinnacle off of...it is amazing...up there with Journey From Mariabronn........

I suppose I'll just look here in the Archives.

Edited by gdub411
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 02:24
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

Actually Garion...what song is Pinnacle off of...it is amazing...up there with Journey From Mariabronn........

I suppose I'll just look here in the Archives.

Masque.  Thier third. and thanks

This band is eclectic. They play so many styles and you can't pigeon hole them. Yes they play hard rock(play the bars of the Midwest and see what you play) they play ballads and they play prog. BUT they do some very lovely prog songs.

Since you like Journey To Mariabronn Check this out:

http://www.meatwall.jammaboards.com/1974_Journey_From_MariaB ronn.wmv

Recording of live TV  BEFORE the first album came out in 1974. (Watch Kerry's hand shake before he plays the last note on the mini moog.)   Hick Prog for sure but Prog none the less.

Edited by Garion81

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 11:54

Hey Gdub, here is my list of top Kansas tracks not in order:

1. Miracles Out of Nowhere
  2. Closet Chronicles
  3. Portrait (He Knew)
  4. Journey from Mariabronn