FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRadiohead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 14:01
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

I mean, ultimately, man, why can't we just all live together in peace....won't someone think of the children!......

Isnt that a battlecry for the Michael Jackson Fan Forum?Wink

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 15:49
Originally posted by philippe philippe wrote:

* RADIOHEAD * Ok Computer progressive rock album and reviews * RADIOHEAD * - Ok Computer
Review by Eliott Minkovitch @ 7:34:33 AM EST, 1/16/2005
2 stars  —   This kind of stuff should not be on this site, I hope someone will wake up and remove it. Since when did alternative rock become progressive rock? You might as well add Green Day, Chemical Brothers and other techno-crap. And oh, throw in David Bowie too. And why not Oasis or Nirvana?

ENTERELY TRUE!! WELL SAID!!

How can you in any way equate that album with Green Day, the Chemical Brothers, "techno-crap" (congratulations on the generalisation, by the way!), Bowie, Oasis or Nirvana? I know it's not your comment but you seem to agree with it somewhat wholeheartedly.

Oh and, progressive rock is more than a genre. To my ears progressiveness is something music can have, regardless of what style it is, like loudness, or slowness, or aggressiveness, etc. etc (although, obviously, to be progressive rock, it must be rock!). Thus I have no qualms about an alternative rock band being in the archives. If anybody thinks there is a single unified sound to prog, try and equate Yes, ELP, Rush, Jethro Tull and Tangerine Dream!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 16:37

Philippe - I think I read you incorrectly before, so I take back my original comments...

That was brilliant sarcasm and biting wit - well said!!!

Eliot Mangybitch or whatever his/her name is should be shot for never having spent the time to listen to those bands before making such a STUPID comparison...

Green Day and the Chemmys... Oh yeah, they sound the same... Bleedin' techno bands

Edited by Certif1ed
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 16:41
Originally posted by philippe philippe wrote:

* RADIOHEAD * Ok Computer progressive rock album and reviews * RADIOHEAD * - Ok Computer
Review by Eliott Minkovitch @ 7:34:33 AM EST, 1/16/2005
2 stars  —   This kind of stuff should not be on this site, I hope someone will wake up and remove it. Since when did alternative rock become progressive rock? You might as well add Green Day, Chemical Brothers and other techno-crap. And oh, throw in David Bowie too. And why not Oasis or Nirvana?

ENTERELY TRUE!! WELL SAID!!

This is not a review, and thoughts like this should be expressed on the forum and not added as a review, of course that's merely my opinion.

Having said this, shouldn't there be a possibility on the site to review the artist, so besides the summary provided by the progarchives, a submit review part added to that, so these kinds of reviews make more sense and it is easy to see how good a band is or how they are looked upon by the reviewers.(star-ratings added aswel)

just a thought of course.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 16:50
this site has fallen apart. Great band and all but they are not prog, now who knows what bands are gonna be added here, and voivod? NO! prog my arse. i am very angry at this after we had a petition of whether they shud be allowed on and more people said NO! so what do they do? f**king add them to the site!
The Worthless Recluse
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 16:53

Originally posted by frenchie frenchie wrote:

this site has fallen apart. Great band and all but they are not prog, now who knows what bands are gonna be added here, and voivod? NO! prog my arse. i am very angry at this after we had a petition of whether they shud be allowed on and more people said NO! so what do they do? f**king add them to the site!

Proof that nobody here takes the question of 'what is prog' too seriously.

And if Voivod isn't prog, neither is Rush.

Edited by Useful_Idiot
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 16:53

Just a thought, but it's interesting that only "OK computer" has been added, and it appears in bold in the discography on the band page.

Will the rest follow....or not?

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:09

I believe Max has the last word and he should decide if a band is added or not, but in this specific case of Radiohead there was a poll, and 55 members gave their opinion:

< name=frmPoll =poll_cast_vote.asp method=post>
Poll Question: Should Radiohead be in the archives?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [27.27%]
40 [72.73%]

72.73% of the people here doesn't believe Radiohead should be in the Archives (almost 3 of each 4), I believe this result deserves some attention.

The only other page I consider in the level of ProgArchives is GEPR and they don't include it, so I believe there was no hurry in including them.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:10
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

I believe Max has the last word and he should decide if a band is added or not, but in this specific case of Radiohead there was a poll, and 55 members gave their opinion:

< name=frmPoll =poll_cast_vote.asp method=post>
Poll Question: Should Radiohead be in the archives?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [27.27%]
40 [72.73%]

72.73% of the people here doesn't believe Radiohead should be in the Archives (almost 3 of each 4), I believe this result deserves some attention.

Iván

You DO know that the poll system on here is flawed, and it's easy for people to vote multiple times, right?  All you have to do is log out and then log back in.

Edited by Useful_Idiot
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:13

Useful, to be honest I didn't knew it, but even if it's true, this works for the two sides.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:17

By the way Useful I just logged Out and logged in again to verify what you swaid  and I'm not allowed to vote again.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:23
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

By the way Useful I just logged Out and logged in again to verify what you swaid  and I'm not allowed to vote again.

Iván

Really?  I was just able to do it with the Dream Theater thread (although it only worked once).  I'm also pretty sure that if you vote from a different computer it will let you vote again.

Edited by Useful_Idiot
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:23
please remove radiohead from the site max and maani!!! the people have spoken, the poll is direct proof. i am really angry at this move because before there was a strict prog only policy when people were suggesting bands like radiohead, whats going on?
The Worthless Recluse
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:24

please remove radiohead from the site max and maani!!! the people have spoken, the poll is direct proof. i am really angry at this move because before there was a strict prog only policy when people were suggesting bands like radiohead, whats going on?

Just because you don't consider them prog doesn't mean they aren't...

aqualung28 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:29
Ok, Why the f**k is Radiohead on here and not Fantomas? this is just not right.  We need to kick Radiohead and Styx out of the archives and bring Fantomas in here. Who's with me!?!?!?!
"O' lady look up in time o' lady look out of love
'n you should have us all
O' you should have us fall"
"Bill's Corpse" By Captain Beefheart
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:30

No Useful, just because 72% of the people here and all the serious prog' pages or enciclopedias (GEPR, Progressor, etc) don't consider them progressive, that's the reason.

Iván

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:31
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Philippe - I think I read you incorrectly before, so I take back my original comments...

That was brilliant sarcasm and biting wit - well said!!!

Eliot Mangybitch or whatever his/her name is should be shot for never having spent the time to listen to those bands before making such a STUPID comparison...

Green Day and the Chemmys... Oh yeah, they sound the same... Bleedin' techno bands

Do you mean phillipe's post on this thread was sarcasm? If so, I apologise to him; it's difficult for my monolingual mind to comprehend how people can use sarcasm in a language that isn't their first. I know I find it nigh on impossible to talk even normally in any other languages! (perhaps English included, but that's by the way)
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:32
What I don't get is how we gladly accept The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree into here (both bands with just as much alt-rock influence as Radiohead), yet we try to add RH and apparently it's the apocalypse.
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:32
Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

Just because you don't consider them prog doesn't mean they aren't...

if the poll said yes then i wouldnt complain. i do like them a lot but they are being falsly labelled here. i'm not even sure if the band wud consider themselves prog at all
The Worthless Recluse
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 17:33

Give it up people - there are hundreds of bands on the archive - a lot I don't agree with but I'm not screaming about it like a bunch of schoolgirls. It's one band for heaven's sake!

and they are progressive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>