Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 22:49
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

[QUOTE=ivan_2068]But back to the point, Sweetnighter did you said a Punk band can play Progressive music???

Punk was born suposedly to destroy what progressive did to music, they did music based in 2 or 3 chords, they can't play progressive rock unless they do a cover album.

This is true in theory, but if you need proof that there are punk bands who go beyond it, download the song "Marquee Moon" by Television (which clocks in at over 10 minutes and has extended soloing that would make Yes jealous) or "The Decline" by NOFX (which clocks in at nearly 20, and has tons of different sections that sound totally different from each other, and even some soloing).  Or listen to The Mars Volta, who have a strong punk aspect in their music, but are undeniably prog.

ErmmMusical categories (a concept of concern more to critics and fans, than artists), like musical tastes in general, are highly fluid and subjective. What I call disco, you may label funk, what I call repetitive, agressive, posturing crap, you may call rap. Whatever.

I'm not sure just how I'd classify Television, but I'd never say punk. For the record, I have put them on my "new wave" -- whatever that means -- compilations. How about just good ROCK?Confused

When I want to review an album on the Archives that I don't really consider to be prog, I review it as MUSIC, plain and simple, and give it a fitting "star" rating that does not necessarily bow to the artificial constraints of the descriptions appended to those ratings. Those words are someone else's, and fit their definitions, not mine, and are subjective as well: "a masterpiece of progressive rock" -- what the heck does that mean? "Masterpiece" is a subjective term, and there seems to be roughly as many conceptions of "progressive" as there are members here.Stern Smile

These debates, with, for example, some pleased to welcome Radiohead to the Archives, others outraged, and still more indifferent, will never, ever end.

Get over it: write your reviews, state your opinion, but don't look for consensus -- it's IMPOSSIBLE.Stern Smile

Hahaha I didn't write that!! How did I get misquoted??

I don't even know who the Television are!
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 22:53
Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by Sweetnighter didn't Sweetnighter didn't wrote:

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

[QUOTE=ivan_2068]But back to the point, Sweetnighter did you said a Punk band can play Progressive music???

Punk was born suposedly to destroy what progressive did to music, they did music based in 2 or 3 chords, they can't play progressive rock unless they do a cover album.

This is true in theory, but if you need proof that there are punk bands who go beyond it, download the song "Marquee Moon" by Television (which clocks in at over 10 minutes and has extended soloing that would make Yes jealous) or "The Decline" by NOFX (which clocks in at nearly 20, and has tons of different sections that sound totally different from each other, and even some soloing).  Or listen to The Mars Volta, who have a strong punk aspect in their music, but are undeniably prog.

ErmmMusical categories (a concept of concern more to critics and fans, than artists), like musical tastes in general, are highly fluid and subjective. What I call disco, you may label funk, what I call repetitive, agressive, posturing crap, you may call rap. Whatever.

I'm not sure just how I'd classify Television, but I'd never say punk. For the record, I have put them on my "new wave" -- whatever that means -- compilations. How about just good ROCK?Confused

When I want to review an album on the Archives that I don't really consider to be prog, I review it as MUSIC, plain and simple, and give it a fitting "star" rating that does not necessarily bow to the artificial constraints of the descriptions appended to those ratings. Those words are someone else's, and fit their definitions, not mine, and are subjective as well: "a masterpiece of progressive rock" -- what the heck does that mean? "Masterpiece" is a subjective term, and there seems to be roughly as many conceptions of "progressive" as there are members here.Stern Smile

These debates, with, for example, some pleased to welcome Radiohead to the Archives, others outraged, and still more indifferent, will never, ever end.

Get over it: write your reviews, state your opinion, but don't look for consensus -- it's IMPOSSIBLE.Stern Smile

Hahaha I didn't write that!! How did I get misquoted??

I don't even know who the Television are!
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 22:56

Look I tried to take this in an interesting direction and i was ignored, but im going to take a stab at it again. Simply if by the criteria argued that radiohead is prog, why isnt jimi hendrix prog, if you want more description look at my last post. (page 3)

p.s. NO I AM NOT saying hendrix should be on the archives.

p.p.s. (Yes I have heard most of radiohead's albums, and i enjoy Hail To The Thief probably the most. I would like to just turn this thread from a simple YES THEY ARE, NO THEY ARENT thread into maybe a worthwhile discussion.)

Edit where the heck do i find them on the archives anyways?

Edited by Hangedman
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 23:25
Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

Look I tried to take this in an interesting direction and i was ignored, but im going to take a stab at it again. Simply if by the criteria argued that radiohead is prog, why isnt jimi hendrix prog, if you want more description look at my last post. (page 3)

p.s. NO I AM NOT saying hendrix should be on the archives.

p.p.s. (Yes I have heard most of radiohead's albums, and i enjoy Hail To The Thief probably the most. I would like to just turn this thread from a simple YES THEY ARE, NO THEY ARENT thread into maybe a worthwhile discussion.)

Edit where the heck do i find them on the archives anyways?

I couldn't find them by searching the bands so instead I did a search under albums....OK Computer...that'll lead you there.

Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 04:12
You know at first I thought it was a joke, and then to my utter dismay it were a bell that rang true: Radiohead has been added.

I agree with Ivan! If Radiohead is in, then bring on the Beegees, and ELO while we're at it! ARRRRGH!!!

If Prog Rock is what some people here say it is: Rock music that progresses (personally I always thought it was far more than that), then by definition Bowie, Eno, Roxy Music and Queen should be in as well. Certainly long before Radiohead, who while pushing boundaries ARE NOT PROG ENOUGH TO BE PROG!

Edited by Rob The Good
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 04:37
Are Radiohead really Frog ???

Bilden “http://www.mypkhome.com/frog/frog-7.jpg” kan inte visas, då den innehåller fel.
slipperman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 08:32
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Quote Pavlov's Dog is a mistake, not Radiohead!

Why, because you don't like Pavlov's Dog and you like Radiohead?

Pavlovs Dog is recognized by all the progressive community as a neo progressive band and Radiohead is considered an Indie Alternative band by most people.

Pavlov's Dog is included in every respectable progressive enciclopedia or web page, Radiohead not.

Ok, Radiohead is in and we will have to accept it even when a good part of the forum disagrees, but to deny Pavlov's Dog is a Progressive band is being at least a bit narrow minded.

Iván

Well, here we are again at interpretation, taste, standards, and opinion. I would always see Pavlov's Dog referenced in prog guides and on sites, incl. this one of course, and when I finally picked up their first two (only?) albums, I could not find anything that, to me, resembled prog. Maybe it was the singer I couldn't stomach (and I love Geddy Lee) and I couldn't hear the music properly because of that distraction. But still, I didn't find anything forward-thinking, groundbreaking, stimulating or interesting about P.D. I'm in the camp of people who think Radiohead are a modern prog band. They moved away from pop just as Manfred Mann did when he started taking Earth Band in a way more cosmic direction...they shouldn't be scorned for having once had a huge alternative hit. It's all opinion, it's "allllll talk! Elephant Talk!" 

...it is real...it is Rael...
alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 08:42

Seriously, Coldplay (despite a dollop of Floydiness), Muse, Keane, and the rest of the Radiohead lite bands should never be included simply because their music defies the key component in the prog equation - it does not progress, it's static, reflective (in the bad sense of the word) and fleeting. Some of it's good - Coldplay - some of its mawkish, wussy, girly rubbish (Keane) and some of it is just melodramatic keening (Muse) but none of it is progressive.

This is what I was trying to say in my earlier post. 

alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 09:05

but, and and myabe I'm crazy, couldn't Radiohead be used as a gateway band?  I mean, if someone you know likes Radiohead, then you could sumply say, "oh, you like Radiohead?  Then maybe you would like (Insert band here).

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 11:25

Quote Well, here we are again at interpretation, taste, standards, and opinion. I would always see Pavlov's Dog referenced in prog guides and on sites, incl. this one of course, and when I finally picked up their first two (only?) albums, I could not find anything that, to me, resembled prog. Maybe it was the singer I couldn't stomach (and I love Geddy Lee) and I couldn't hear the music properly because of that distraction.

OK Sli´perman, this a coherent argument I can deny, if you read the Bio of Pavlov's Dog I say in the first line, this a band you love or you hate, it's all black or white, there are no tones of gray.

And you make may point, it's only a matter of taste.

Iván

By the way, they have 4 albums not two, Pampered Menial, At the Sound of the Bell, Third and Lost in America.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 11:53

A progressibve band will use any element of any genre to create a different sound, that's their nature and one of their main characteristics. But Punk is basicly take rock to it's simplest form, so mixing elements of other genres is not their nature, if they do so, they stop being punk.

Sorry? so the Clash aren't punk?
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 11:57
Originally posted by Petra Petra wrote:

But i agree there are other just as deserving Electronica bands out there..like Squarepusher who has a heavy progressive jazz influence!

Remember there are two words in "progressive rock!"

In case of confusion: I'm not criticising Squarepusher at all, I love the music and find it very forward thinking. About on a par with Venetian Snares, in fact.

Edited by goose
slipperman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 12:12

Alan-

worthy point for sure, BUT I don't hear the depth or ambition in Coldplay that I do in Radiohead, and Muse is only Radiohead-ish because they're playing in The Bends-era style, which Radiohead left behind years ago from more (here we go) Progressive areas.

Ivan-

haha, I guess I didn't bother checking into the 3rd and 4th Pavlov's cuz I figured if I didn't like the first 2,why bother? I would never argue to get them kicked off the archives  or anything, if enough proggers say they're proggy, then so be it. 

...it is real...it is Rael...
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 12:21
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Seriously, Coldplay (despite a dollop of Floydiness), Muse, Keane, and the rest of the Radiohead lite bands should never be included simply because their music defies the key component in the prog equation - it does not progress, it's static, reflective (in the bad sense of the word) and fleeting. Some of it's good - Coldplay - some of its mawkish, wussy, girly rubbish (Keane) and some of it is just melodramatic keening (Muse) but none of it is progressive.

This is what I was trying to say in my earlier post. 

Mawkish, I like that word.  

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 15:13
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

A progressibve band will use any element of any genre to create a different sound, that's their nature and one of their main characteristics. But Punk is basicly take rock to it's simplest form, so mixing elements of other genres is not their nature, if they do so, they stop being punk.

Probably, and Donna Summer is the Queen of Disco, but still don't get your point.

Iván

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:19
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

but, and and myabe I'm crazy, couldn't Radiohead be used as a gateway band?  I mean, if someone you know likes Radiohead, then you could sumply say, "oh, you like Radiohead?  Then maybe you would like (Insert band here).

But surely that's a good thing? Open us up to more great music? I like to think my musical tastes are very broad, but there's a heck of a lot of bands out there I haven't heard - and some of those are bound to be good.

One thing's for sure, Radiohead are unique in the "alt-rock" community they grew up and out of, and there won't be many bands like them to follow - are there many bands like them? I don't mean "Radiohead-lite" bands like Coldplay or Keane, or bands that simply assimilated part of the style of one album (can anyone say "Porcupine Tree"?), I mean a band that went through all those different phases of musical development;

Even if they did kinda come full circle, they still kept progressing and writing the music they wanted to write - not what everyone wanted them to write; To me, that's an overwhelming part of the spirit of prog - doing your own thing musically and keeping your own artistic integrity.

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:27
damn straight Cert!
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:28
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3080&a mp;PN=1
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:40

Probably, and Donna Summer is the Queen of Disco, but still don't get your point.

Iván

The clash mixed other musical styles with punk, was my point.
Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 17:13

Originally posted by Petra Petra wrote:

But i agree there are other just as deserving Electronica bands out there..like Squarepusher who has a heavy progressive jazz influence!

Remember there are two words in "progressive rock!"

In case of confusion: I'm not criticising Squarepusher at all, I love the music and find it very forward thinking. About on a par with Venetian Snares, in fact.

I do agree with you there about Squarepusher, but saying that Kid A and Amnesiac are not rock albums.  

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>