Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJarre: Progressive Electronic or Prog Related?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Do you think Jean-Michel Jarre is PE or PR?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [70.83%]
7 [29.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jarre: Progressive Electronic or Prog Related?
    Posted: November 01 2006 at 21:25
Seeing my favorite progressive electronic artist getting demoted to Prog Related is something I take personally.

Well, not exactly. But you get the idea. I mean, the guy is JUST AS progressive as Kraftwerk, Brian Eno, Tangerine Dream, and other artists at the top of the genre. So my vote goes to Progressive Electronic, not Prog Related.
Go and listen to my music.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31725
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 22:37
Jarre is indeed an electronic musician. Whether he's progressive or not is a matter of opinion. I do like his stuff, though.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 22:54
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Jarre is indeed an electronic musician. Whether he's progressive or not is a matter of opinion. I do like his stuff, though.

Well, that's the central point in debate, we're not talking about simple electronic because in that case we should add most DJ's, trance and a lot of Hip Hop.

The problem is if he's Progressive Rock artist or not, I believe he isn't, I objected his inclusion but had nothing to do with his move to Prog Related even when I agree 200%.

IMO Most of his stuff is just effectist music for a good show and nothing else.

Iván

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 23:13
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Well, that's the central point in debate, we're not talking about simple electronic because in that case we should add most DJ's, trance and a lot of Hip Hop.

The problem is if he's Progressive Rock artist or not, I believe he isn't, I objected his inclusion but had nothing to do with his move to Prog Related even when I agree 200%.

IMO Most of his stuff is just effectist music for a good show and nothing else.

Iván

Yes, but I think he kicks Mike Oldfield's ass.

Edited by Atavachron - November 01 2006 at 23:14
I|I|I|I|I View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2006 at 23:28
Well, by definition, I don't think progressive electronic necessarily means progressive electronic rock... I definitely wouldn't characterize Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, or Brian Eno's ambient stuff as rock, but it's all certainly progressive. Jean-Michel Jarre is at least as progressive as these guys, if not more - meaning, it's more musically intelligent and adventurous than a lot of other music when it was composed. I would say Jarre's experimentation is certainly more musically interesting than some of Eno's highly regarded ambient work, at least.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 00:21
Jarre's Experimentation???

He just plays mainstream music with a lot of pop elements and a lot of electronic bugs, that's all

Look at the people jump and clap mooving their booties at his encore or the boring Sax song for his friend the astronaut.

Oxygen from omne to the infinite are only variations over the same theme, his song with the huge children chorus is pompous and spectacular but not challenging at all.

Yopu can't compare him with Mike Oldfield who has Fusion and Symphonic elements or Eno and much less with the spacey Tangerine Dream.

If it wasn't for his spectacular show, would not be worth a listen IMO.

The case was discussed in the Collaborators section ad all the posts agreed, some really harsh about about his music and most agree he's very poppy.

Iván

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 01:10
Well this brings us back to whether or not this is a "Progressive site" or a "Progressive Rock" site. I always believed this to be a "Progressive Rock" site. Otherwise we have become a mirror image of Bradley Smith's book "The Billboard guide to Progressive Music". I, for one would be disappointed if that were so. Although the inclusion of many of the artists already on this site would actually seem to infer the latter. Artists such as J. M Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Captain Beefheart, Eno, Kate Bush, 10cc, Roxy Music, Kraftwerk, Klaus Schulze and many, many others, I believe, have no place whatsoever on a Progressive rock site and should, if at all, be classified under prog-related (and some just are out-and-out pop IMO). With that in mind, where do you stop with "prog-related"? It seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry (an English term for all you who are saying "what?" - meaning seemingly everyone) is in that category. I have just seen a proposal for Tom Waits. The aurgument against was that he was "progressive" but not "progressive rock" - I would classify him as a viurtual twin of C. Beefheart - so, why one and not another? This type of debate will rage on and on, obviously, with people's perceptions and desires being what they are.
I don't like seeing some of the classifications / inclusions on ProgArchives because of how I view genres, but I have to accept that it is NOT my site and I am a participating guest. It certainly does not mar my enjoyment, after all, I can just skip all that I do not agree with. It's all an a image of the democratic society that we live in anyway - so, live and let live.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 01:13
If he was prog related, than so would Kraftwerk be.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 01:14
I also got trouble over the move at first, but now I conceive the situation better. Embarrassed

Jean Michel Jarre has the problem of making popular sound for the mass and of having clenched long enough towards his own style. Electronic seems slightly the characteristic of technique and the mind movement that...creats them all.

Then there is the techno issue of the last years, which resemble a change even more "obscure".

I would say towards fan to don't get alarmed, as Jarre is still considered and cannot be considered anything else that an electronic musician, making electronic music within an electronic personal definition. The only thing was his progressiveness and his progressiveness by comparison with many others. Considering the entire spectrum of electronic music, Jarre is slightly but considerably isn't a prog entitled artist.

Prog Related, the best compromise, as philippe said.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 01:18
Somebody described Jarre as a POP artist who plays with Electronic instruments and I agree with that.

Iván

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 01:26

Somebody described Jarre as a POP artist who plays with Electronic instruments and I agree with that.

Iván

I can't entirely go by that.
The classic movements of Jean Michel Jarre sound only easy, it's not a pop "refinement".
The early rubbish sound tests are even an experimental/sound manipulation thing.
The 1986-1988 is the most accurate at easyness, but you don't find it in the Rendez-Vous emotions, only in the Revolutions' stagnation.
Waiting For Cousteau the title track is an essence of ambient focused glance music; it's a great examples towards the fact that Jarre didn't do just easy stuff.
Chronologie is a very constructive electronic performance.
Metamorphoses is indeed a pop album, by the vocals and by the awfully soft illustration.
Sessions 2002 a nice jazzy-attempt electronic (technically) composition.
Geometry Of Love - a light ambient minimalism.
Printemps De Bourges (has anyone bothered to hear this album? it's great and so different!). Four pieces that don't resemble anything at all from Jarre's usual, mutual, non-singular music passion. Experimental in the diffused way, of epic flavour, of a characteristic that draws parallels to Tangerine Dream sizes or to very intelligent music modelation.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 01:45
Printemps De Bourges (has anyone bothered to hear this album? it's great and so different!). Four pieces that don't resemble anything at all from Jarre's usual, mutual, non-singular music passion. Experimental in the diffused way, of epic flavour, of a characteristic that draws parallels to Tangerine Dream sizes or to very intelligent music modelation.

That's the only one I haven't heard, but the rest IMO is popish stuff with some refinements.

Another Collaborator mentioned that his love life was more interesting than his music. LOL

Iván

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 03:21
For me Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze are Coca Cola and JM Jarre is Coca Cola Light, the question is or Coca Cola Light still deserves to be mentioned Coca Cola Question
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 07:14
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

For me Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze are Coca Cola and JM Jarre is Coca Cola Light, the question is or Coca Cola Light still deserves to be mentioned Coca Cola Question

I would say in this case that TD,and KS are Coca Cola while  Jarre is Pepsi light (I like Pepsi more), tries ro be Coca Cola, has the same color, a similar flavor but it's another thing,

Iván

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 07:17

That's the only one I haven't heard, but the rest IMO is popish stuff with some refinements.

Another Collaborator mentioned that his love life was more interesting than his music. LOL

Iván

popish is slightly better. Wink

LOL well, Adjani is Adjani.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 07:18

Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I would say in this case that TD,and KS are Coca Cola while  Jarre is Pepsi light (I like Pepsi more), tries ro be Coca Cola, has the same color, a similar flavor but it's another thing,

Iván

no,no,no, Tangerine Dream are Pepsi Cola (I like Pepsi more also), Klaus Schulze is Pepsi Max and Jarre the Coca Cola (lightish).

Wink

Kraftwerk are Mountain Dew. Dead

I|I|I|I|I View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 11:46
I absolutely cannot believe people consider Jarre "popish". I've listened to Oxygene a million times and hear NO pop in this music - the "pop" of that day was disco and silly AOR-type stuff.

If you consider a better grasp of melody a sign of "pop", you're sorely mistaken. In fact, some of the best prog songs have catchy melodies - listen to "Roundabout" by Yes or "Money" by Pink Floyd.

And in my opinion, Jarre has QUITE a better grasp of melody than Schulze, Eno (well, at least, during Eno's ambient days), or Tangerine Dream. Not to mention he actually changes the chords once in while (one of my largest complaints with Schulze's "X").

And besides, even if his influences are obviously Schulze and that ilk, that doesn't mean he's merely prog-related. I think he successfully built upon their musical style and turned it into something even better. Hence, progressive electronic.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 12:03
Jarre is very melodic indeed, but the conflict that goes around is regarding the rightousness of the melody, the superior quality of that melody and (I even heard) the art meaning of that melody. I like Jarre's melodies, but it's only a stereotypical regard.

About catchy, it is either too much of catchy things or not the issue of being catchy. Again I say, Jarre has the popular tendency.

Chords are barely modulated inside one piece. A-B-As and such. But you have a point in mentioning that there are dynamics. Yet again, dynamics wear the same conflicts from people desiring "more". "more?'>

His influence isn't Klaus Schulze.

I|I|I|I|I View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 12:49
I'm sorry, I read in a review somewhere that Michel was influenced by people like Schulze, but apparently I either misread it or the reviewer was wrong.

But that strengthens my argument - Jean-Michel Jarre was creating better music than Schulze outside of Schulze's influence.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2006 at 13:04
Originally posted by I|I|I|I|I I|I|I|I|I wrote:

But that strengthens my argument - Jean-Michel Jarre was creating better music than Schulze outside of Schulze's influence.

must be an understatement. I can't see both in connections.

ah,I'd better go cool down my fanboy blood. LOL

Jean Michel Jarre influenced my electronic taste completely until Tangerine Dream and Schulze appeared. I think that, by this influence or by its possibility, Jarre shouldn't be neglected electronically.

In fact, it would be dreadful for the related definition to make the electronic one obscure.

Again, the prog in progressive electronic is debated over at Jarre.

schulze is much more "'prog"", that's for sho. Wink

Edited by Ricochet - November 02 2006 at 13:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>