Message Reverse Sort Order
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "That Sound"
    Posted: January 19 2005 at 10:50
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

Sigod:

That does not seem likely, given that LAO:CI began (here, at least) well before Orbach was out of his contract with LAO.  My understanding is that D'Onofrio was "short-listed" for the role, and eventually got it.

If you find other info, let me know.

Peace.

You're quite right. It was Law & Order: Trial By Jury that Orbach was mooted for.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/413296 9.stm 

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 20:32
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

I've not followed Vincent D'Onofrio's career, only saw him 3 times, the first one was his outstanding role as private Gomer Pyle in Full Metal Jackett (even though he was a bit over acted at the end), then in Men in Black and it was awful and at last in Criminal Intent, which I found absolutely ridiculous, no accussed or lawyer would accept that kind of behaviour, it's simply imposible.

Iván

Check out "Steal this Movie" where he played a likeable Abbie Hoffman, or even "Chelsea Walls". He's really an impressive actor when he's not so over-the-top (kinda like Dennis Hopper or Jack Nicholson in that way).

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 18:40

There's a promotional tape where they ask the actors of Law & Order Special Victims Unit what the sound is, and each one gives an explanation silliest than the previous, until comes the turn of John Belzer who tries to make a philosophical explanation that results absolutely hilarious, even when the guy is absolutely serious.

Iván

So what do they say, Javelin man???????????????????????????????????????????????????/

Bloody lawyers.LOL

Edited by Reed Lover

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 18:36

I've not followed Vincent D'Onofrio's career, only saw him 3 times, the first one was his outstanding role as private Gomer Pyle in Full Metal Jackett (even though he was a bit over acted at the end), then in Men in Black and it was awful and at last in Criminal Intent, which I found absolutely ridiculous, no accussed or lawyer would accept that kind of behaviour, it's simply imposible.

Iván

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 17:09

Sigod:

That does not seem likely, given that LAO:CI began (here, at least) well before Orbach was out of his contract with LAO.  My understanding is that D'Onofrio was "short-listed" for the role, and eventually got it.

If you find other info, let me know.

Peace.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 13:26

Sigod:

Not sure what you're asking re Jerry Orbach.  Can you re-phrase?  Thanks.

Peace.

Sorry Manni, I believe that Orbach was going to be in 'Criminal Intent' playing the role he had in the original order but due to his cancer and subsequent death, the part was re-written for Vincent D'Onofrio. I just wanted to know if you had heard the same thing.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 13:22

Sigod:

Not sure what you're asking re Jerry Orbach.  Can you re-phrase?  Thanks.

Peace.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 12:39

Ivan and Sigod:

Re Vincent D'Onofrio, I must disagree.  I think you are confusing "nuanced" with "wooden."

His character is something of a "tortured genius."  I have actually met people like that character, and their mannerisms - stilted, "tight," edgy - are very similar.  Indeed, I wonder whether he actually "studied" people like that before creating the role.

I would agree that he looks "uncomfortable," and even that he makes me uncomfortable to watch him.  But that is exactly why he is such a good actor; his "discomfort" is part of the act, and my "discomfort" is not a result of his acting poorly, but in acting all too well.

Peace.

Manni

Well I'm glad you enjoy his 'unique' brand of performance but I for one couldn't make it through a full episode and I've tried several times. As you seem to be a fan Manni, I hear that Jerry Orbach was mooted for the role before his death. Would you know if that is correct?

Rekkr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 12:32

There's a promotional tape where they ask the actors of Law & Order Special Victims Unit what the sound is, and each one gives an explanation silliest than the previous, until comes the turn of John Belzer who tries to make a philosophical explanation that results absolutely hilarious, even when the guy is absolutely serious.

The most accurate is the chief of the police who says Ah, that's the Doink Doink.

I really like Law & Order except the one with Vincent D'Onofrio (Criminal Intent) which is the worst TV show I ever seen.

Iván

Criminal Intent is my favorite of the Law and Order series.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 09:02

Ivan and Sigod:

Re Vincent D'Onofrio, I must disagree.  I think you are confusing "nuanced" with "wooden."

His character is something of a "tortured genius."  I have actually met people like that character, and their mannerisms - stilted, "tight," edgy - are very similar.  Indeed, I wonder whether he actually "studied" people like that before creating the role.

I would agree that he looks "uncomfortable," and even that he makes me uncomfortable to watch him.  But that is exactly why he is such a good actor; his "discomfort" is part of the act, and my "discomfort" is not a result of his acting poorly, but in acting all too well.

Peace.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2005 at 06:37

I really like Law & Order except the one with Vincent D'Onofrio (Criminal Intent) which is the worst TV show I ever seen.

Iván

I agree completely, the term 'wooden' doesn't do the actor's performance or scripting justice.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 21:50

The most accurate is the chief of the police who says Ah, that's the Doink Doink.

I really like Law & Order except the one with Vincent D'Onofrio (Criminal Intent) which is the worst TV show I ever seen.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 21:02

tuxon:

Among all your seeming babble are some legitimate questions.  Needless to say, the "sound" ha become something of a "celebrity" simply for being itself.  It has become so identified with the program (which itself has become something of a "celebrity" here in the U.S., playing on at least two channels a few times a day) that it has a "personality" of its own.  Think, for example, of TV or movie themes that are instantly recognizable and/or immediately identified with their program or film.  In the case of "Law and Order," it is simply the "sound" that precedes the opening of the show, as well as preceding each scene after a commercial break.

Perhaps you can get someone to tape an episode of the show and send it to you so you can hear it.  It really is interesting, and remains something of a "puzzle" for those who have an interest in the program.

Peace.

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 19:09

I don't know, I never watch television, so I don't know why I am replying to this thread.

What does the sound sound like? are there soundclips available of the suspected sound? and if so why did the sound did what it did? was it trying to draw attention? did the sound ever got tired of sounding the way it did? why am I asking these questions? does anybody out there ever sounded like the formentioned sounds? should I delete this post? Could it be the sound of a wooden hammer on a wooden surface? who killed JFK? Why can't I come up with noteworthy questions? How did I get involved in this discussion anyway?

I honestly don't know.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 18:36

Reed Lover:

Your quizmaster was pulling your leg - big time.  No, that's not what "that sound" is.  And even if it isn't what I believe it is (and I think I'm close, if not right on it), it most certainly is not the sound of monks stamping on a floor!

I must say, though, that yours is one comment I'm going to remember for a long time.  Thanks!

Peace.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 17:58
A couple of years ago I was in a Quiz Team final, which finished a draw. After using  all the "spare" questions up in the tie-break, the question master asked "there is a distinctive noise between scenes in the Tv series "Law and Order" what is it?" Needless to say no one had any idea-most of us being unfamiliar of Law&Order, nevermind some "noise". He said the answer was "the treated sound of monks stamping on the floor". Never understood why anyone would be expected to know that, it but there you go, Maani-is that the answer?

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 14:59

Rekkr:

That's a good beginning.  Now, can you identify what "basic" sound being used, and how it is being "fritched?"

Peace.

Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 09:58
oh man used to watch law and order all the time! haven't been able to drag myself back to it since orbach died... and i've seen all the reruns, so whats the use?
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 08:06
Don't ask me, I'm still stumped by the "A Current Affair" sound.
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 07:39

This is for anyone (mostly Americans) who have watched "Law and Order."

I'm curious if anyone has figured out what "that sound" is.  I think I know, but I'm not saying yet.

Any takers?

I think know what sound you are referring to. 'Law and Order' has been on a few seasons in the UK too. Is it the 'pling pling' sound that accompanies the location ledged between scenes perchance?

If not, I'll just nip out and shoot myself.   

BTW, sorry to hear about Jerry Orbach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>