Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMusicians On The Forum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 10:18
Spoiled brats and they don`t even want learn to play music the proper way.They just want to learn note for note the latest Metallica guitar or whatever solo without really knowing what the hell they`re doing. A reason why a lot of these guys who played in prog bands in the early seventies were accomplished musicians was because they had some sort of formal musical education. For example Kieth Emerson, Van Leer and Akkerman of Focus, Kerry Minear of Gentle Giant, Rick van der Linden of Ekseption (and later Trace), Rick Wakeman ( Rick is an odd fellow, but I like him! ) I could go on, and on.
arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 20:18

i am a drummer, i used to play very serious with my aol band called Prego... but suddenly i had to chose from being a drummer or being an architect... an you know what happend next, but i gather with some friends nowadays to play or to talk about music. i actually being played to date for 12 years, great years (i'm 28). music and architecture has a lot in common, more than you think, ate the end its art.

actually i accept the fact that our youth (hahahaha) new kids donīt care about prog music, jazz and fusion, we sholud encourage them to listen to this great music

Gaston View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 21:31

I play guitar, bass, keyboard and am an avid songwriter and lyricist. I was in an alt-rock band called Bremmens Barrel in the 90s, but have gone on to a little better of things...

Currently on hiatus from a band called "Climbing Trees" It's jam bandsish but we have alot of prog influence from Floyd and Rush (cause we is Canucks)

Right now I'm working on new material for an upcoming project. It's a cross between Tool, Rush and a little John Scofieldish (if you can believe that) however my bass playing is more Geddy than anything.

I'm using the program SONAR to record and have a Soundblaster audigy platinum sound card that works wonders (drool)

I'll have some of it done by the summer, if y'all want to wait around for it, I can upload some here or over a private vpn.

We're called "Hey Use Guise"

Gaston

It's the same guy. Great minds think alike.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 18:33

I have played bass in bands for the last 20 years or so. I am classically trained on the piano - did grade 8 then got bored. Also did grade 8 theory and singing - but the singing was what did it for me, as my voice sounds like a goose farting in the fog unless I copy what someone else sounds like. I later got disillusioned with the music biz, took a degree in music and computing and now work as a software tester.

I taught myself guitar to "make it real", but I can only strum a few chords and play a blues scale or 2. Oh - I can play the intro to "Stairway..."

My current music project is with a work colleague. We are producing a kind of electro-rock hybrid with the emphasis on solid, simple structure and cool lyrics. That's been the hard part - writing lyrics that say something AND are cool! I think we've managed it for 3 tracks - hopefully we'll release them soon, but that's quite enough self-promoting!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123