FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemedy the Situation on the Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remedy the Situation on the Forum
    Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:26
Okay, well as is evidenced by the inclusion of Radiohead into the forums, there's been a recent explosion of opposition on the forums, between those who think that Radiohead should not have been included, and between those who think that including Radiohead in the archives is just the tip of the iceberg and that a slew of other bands should be included as well. Although this is a worthy topic of discussion, I think its getting in the way of more interesting discussion that could be taking place in the main discussion area... aka discussion about prog not just the old is this band prog or this band should be in the archives stuff. I am guilty of this just as much as anybody else, but really it does disappoint me to see three threads simply about Radiohead that are multiple pages long whereas other topics pertaining to the music we all love are getting pushed aside. Clearly this benefits no one, and for any newcomers to the forums, especially those who are new to the genre as well, this will be an immediate turn-off and potentially have people leave the site who would otherwise stay. The conversation back in October and November when I first joined the board was much more intriguing and thoughtful.

I made this thread in an attempt to please those on both sides of the table regarding new entries into the archives and in an attempt to restore the good ol' conversation to the forum. My suggestion would be to make a new subforum entirely dedicated to discussing what groups should or shouldn't be in the archives. For one, mods could remove these topics from the main discussion area just as they move unrelated topics posted in the main discussion area to the "discussions unrelated to music" section. Secondly, Maani and M@X could use the subforum as a way to see how people react to certain bands being in the archives. Of course they may not care and they by all means can include the bands they want, since they run the show,  but it could be a helpful tool should they want to use it. Finally, some subforums on the board are rarely, if ever, posted on... such as the MP3 subforum. So although debate regarding the archives won't be eliminated, it can be nicely contained, and those who don't wish to participate or be bothered by reappearing topics regarding the issue don't have to.

This is merely my suggestion. I ask that you, the mods, will take it into consideration. I also ask anybody else on the forum who has a clever solution to prompt it here as well.

"Peace"
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Sweetnighter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:39
This is insane! There are two threads on Fantomas, one on ELO, one on Muse, three on Radiohead.... seriously people, this isn't benefitting anybody on here. 
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:41
It's true.
aqualung28 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:41

wait, does that second thread on Fantomas include the one you made for me?

"O' lady look up in time o' lady look out of love
'n you should have us all
O' you should have us fall"
"Bill's Corpse" By Captain Beefheart
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:42
I'm with sweetnighter here, its a good proposition.
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:43

worry not, they'll all run out of steam in a day or so and will be relegated to the realms 'didn't somebody once say something about' while we busy ourselves with a poll discussing the progtastic noodlings of Rolf Harris or Orville the Duck.

People around here have the attention span of guppies

BTW nice castle

BTW hey, what a cool castle!

BTW Great castle!

BTW Are you getting this weird deja vu thing?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:43
Originally posted by aqualung28 aqualung28 wrote:

wait, does that second thread on Fantomas include the one you made for me?

yeah, like I said, i'm guilty too, but lets pull it together people.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:45
well actually I would then call that 1.5 threads on Fantomas
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:45
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

worry not, they'll all run out of steam in a day or so and will be relegated to the realms 'didn't somebody once say something about' while we busy ourselves with a poll discussing the progtastic noodlings of Rolf Harris or Orville the Duck.

People around here have the attention span of guppies

BTW nice castle

BTW hey, what a cool castle!

BTW Great castle!

BTW Are you getting this weird deja vu thing?

even so, what harm would there be in having a subforum for the topic? regardless of the recent hysteria, people still do bring up the topic from time to time, and it just doesn't seem appropriate for the main discussion area. its more like "suggestions for progarchives" material.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:47

But I'm not doing this in protest of radiohead or anything. I started the Fantomas thread easily 2 months ago so I thought I'd retry getting them on, seeing that more bands have been getting on lately I thought Fantomas would have a better chance. Well I'm not giving up on Fantomas

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 16:51
Originally posted by aqualung28 aqualung28 wrote:

But I'm not doing this in protest of radiohead or anything. I started the Fantomas thread easily 2 months ago so I thought I'd retry getting them on, seeing that more bands have been getting on lately I thought Fantomas would have a better chance. Well I'm not giving up on Fantomas

Oh yeah, of course, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, my proposition is only to rechannel that type of conversation somewhere else.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 17:00

oh, well in that case I'm all for it!  But that Fantomas thread is staying on the first page no matter where it's moved until Shrinking Violet and I can declare   VICTORY!!

Edited by aqualung28
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 17:49

I think that the Petition to bring a group into prog archives obviously does nothing by bringing to it the posters of the forum.  I would suggest that you petition Max and Ronnie with a detailed LOGICAL reason as to why you feel that band should be included.  As you can tell this is their site not ours and they will make the decision based on what they feel is right.  Putting all these threads here will do very little good and they are annoying.  I hate watching good threads leave page 1 or 2 because they won't be resurrected by annoying repetitive things like this. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 17:55
I wish people would stop trying to push the discussions in one direction or other.ie I find discussions about Dream Theater tedious to the extreme,but if people want to talk about them then fine.If a topic gets replies then that means it's interesting in my book.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 17:57

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I wish people would stop trying to push the discussions in one direction or other.ie I find discussions about Dream Theater tedious to the extreme,but if people want to talk about them then fine.If a topic gets replies then that means it's interesting in my book.

If it was in one thread I agree.  I am speaking of 5 -6 threads dealing with pretty much the same thing.  Page 1 is pointless right now.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 18:02
Go to page 2 then
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 18:06

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Go to page 2 then

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 18:41

I want to see our Queen Of Prog Mariah returned to the main discussions section so I can continue on with a normal life. Every time I go to the main discussions there is this void, a distant memory of the greatest thread ever started on Progarchives. The numbers speak for themselves. C`mon Maani put it back in it`s rightful place which is on the top of the main discussions.

On a more of a serious note, I find that as this site acquires more members and interest some of the threads have become less interesting and redundant to a certian extent which is why I skip over alot of them. But the Mariah thread should be Progarchives epitaph!

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 18:51

All:

Speaking in my "official" role, I am happy to inform you that your wish will be coming true.

The site will be undergoing a fairly extensive "re-vamp" soon.  As part of that re-vamp, there will, among other things, be new categories, including a specific category for discussing which bands people believe should or should not be on ProgArchives.

In the meantime, please be patient.  And feel free to continue to debate until the time comes...

Peace.

frosty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 19:14
Can anything that has stirred up such strength of feeling be a bad thing for the forum?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>