"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 18:57
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

*snicker*

Well, pitures speak louder than you laugh.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 19:10

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

My statement about cheap illegal labor is valid.I live in a blue-collar city and most of the people I know have blue collar jobs(construction workers,landscapers,road building,etc.),and they are losing them to immigrants,and all these companies are legitimate.Do you know there is a thriving industry in Baltimore?It's called forging documents,especially immigration papers and green cards.

We have a very large company in this state called Crouse Construction.A large number of people I know used to work there.They were widening a main thoroughfare near my house for 2 months and not ONE worker was Caucasian or African-American,they were ALL Hispanic.

I am not a bigot,I am not racist.But if you are going to live here you ought to be here legally.Period.

Jody,

I was certainly not suggesting you are a bigot. I don't know you personally, but I've never gotten that impression from your many threads.

But really, just because the workers are Hispanic, do you know that they are illegal, or just suspect? I also live in a town where there is a very large labor employer and almost all their employees are minorities, most of them immigrants (believe me, 'real' Africans, Laotians, former Yugoslavians, and Latin Americans stand out in a state that is more than 92% white!). But I also know that the INS rousts the place regularly, and illegals do not last there long.

If the illegals have papers that allow them to 'pass' for being legal, a walled border will simply mean new cottage industries for getting them here. It won't stop those who are determined. Like several others have said, we have to address the root causes, not the symptoms.

I don't think you were calling me or insinuating I was bigoted,Clem.But some of what I say may sound bigoted,and I don't mean to give that impression.The whole immigration debate is a very hot button topic in this state,and everyone I know personally around here feels the same way I do.I'm just fed up,sorry but that's how I feel.I don't see any easy solution to the problem either.It's so easy to get frustrated about things you have no perceptable control over.

Peace.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 19:38
I'm against illegal inmigration uin any country, here it happens but the difference is simple.

We need to go to the Embasy at 5:00 am, wait until 10.00 am make a two blocks row, wait for an arrogant low rank funtionary who asks us for all our personal history, then leave the papers for 24 hours and if this guy wants he gives us a Visa (But we have to pay first).

I never had problems with my visa but I seen people rejected just because an arrogant redneck didn't liked his/her face.

As long as you make this kind of problems, you will have illegal inmigrants.

In the other hand USA people come here without visa and shout in the airport  that they can't be checked because they are "American Citizens".

The funny thing is that USA encouraged Cubans to leave the island as propaganda against Fidel Castro (I agree he's a criminal dictator) but they don't want Mexicans (Despite Texas was Mexico), so this country sold their idea of the American way of llife to the rest of the world but know that they don't need it because there's no more USSR they start making troubles.

70% of the inmates in the Women Jail in Perú are USA citizens ("BURRAS" = DONKEYS) who tried to leave the country with drugs, I don't believe the percentage of Peruvians is so high.

There's not a single Peruvian involved in acts of terrorism in USA, but we have one in jail (Found with plans of the Congress, fake ID and address of all the congressmen hidding in a Terrorist safe house) and another one claimed by USA Government that was allowed to leave.

WHO SHOULD BE CHECKED AND LEFT OUTSIDE?????

Iván

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 19:47
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

just a minor observation: it does look like dealing with the effects and not dealing with the causes.
THANK YOU!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 19:57
Like I said earlier, I wish there was some way to work with Mexico and improve the economic situation there, so they would not have to come here.
I'm just not sure how we'd be able to do that...

As for immigration, NO problem with it. Unless you're Native American, we're ALL descended from immigrants, and they've had huge impacts on our country.
However, they should be doing it legally.   

Sorry for the double post
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 19:57
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

just a minor observation: it does look like dealing with the effects and not dealing with the causes.

THANK YOU!

i didn't expect my minor observation would generate such a wave. actually it's not sure if it was actually me who said that, as it was credited to "several others", or wait, was that just me and my split personality?

Edited by andu - November 11 2006 at 20:00
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 20:06
Sorry, but I see it to be a bigger insult to enter into a country without that country's consent and to diminish the legal population of that country's importance/resonance than it is to build a wall to keep the seemingly unstappable wave out. If there is another way other than a wall, I've love to hear it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 20:08
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Like I said earlier, I wish there was some way to work with Mexico and improve the economic situation there, so they would not have to come here.

Please, that's not the problem, I know proffesionals who had a decent standart here (Not rich but could live well) that went to USA to be exploited WHY?

Because USA sold the rest of the world the idea of the American way of life being the best in the world and some idiots bought it.

They kept selling this idea during all the cold war and now they don't need to sell it because the USSR doesn't exist,  they don't want more people inside their country.

USA caused the inmigrant problem as a way to fight communism, so now they should accept their mistakes.

Ok it's their right to limit the inmigrants, but building a wall is not the solution, I'm sure the young USA kids will cross the border to Mexico every weekend to get drunk and get laid in Tijuana and USA would make a case if any country limited their God given right to enter to any country. 

That's what pisses me.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 11 2006 at 20:10

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 20:21
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Because USA sold the rest of the world the idea of the American way of life being the best in the world and some idiots bought it.

hahhahahahah

we have a saying here in the American south....

Right On Brother!!!!

here's a couple of clappies for you Ivan

ClapClap

The time for such silliness is over now that the dems are back in power. Pandering the people who think the America is or should be the nation of the 1950's. The multicultural face of this country is here to stay.   This country depends on those illegals..  those who bitch about them.. would be the first to bitch when prices skyrocket here due to having to pay 'amercians' to do important jobs that are considered to be 'underneath' them.  Grow up people.  They have the privilage of working in 'safe' enviroment.. and we benefit in low prices.  Both sides win.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 20:27
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

We need to go to the Embasy at 5:00 am, wait until 10.00 am make a two blocks row, wait for an arrogant low rank funtionary who asks us for all our personal history, then leave the papers for 24 hours and if this guy wants he gives us a Visa (But we have to pay first).

I never had problems with my visa but I seen people rejected just because an arrogant redneck didn't liked his/her face.

In the other hand USA people come here without visa and shout in the airport  that they can't be checked because they are "American Citizens".

The funny thing is that USA encouraged Cubans to leave the island as propaganda against Fidel Castro (I agree he's a criminal dictator) but they don't want Mexicans (Despite Texas was Mexico), so this country sold their idea of the American way of llife to the rest of the world but know that they don't need it because there's no more USSR they start making troubles.

WHO SHOULD BE CHECKED AND LEFT OUTSIDE?????

Iván

According to diplomatic reciprocity (observed internationally) Brazil gives US citizens the same treatment given by the US to Brazilian citizens. No way I'll pay US$ 100.00 and wait 6 months for a visa to visit Amerika.

Next year, I intend again to go to Europe and who knows met some (many) of my PA buddies. The possibility to meet folks like Jody, Clem, Peter (Canada also requires a visa, unfortunately) & others will be left to the future, maybe after 2008. Wink

Edited by Atkingani - November 11 2006 at 20:29
Guigo

~~~~~~
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 20:28
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Sorry, but I see it to be a bigger insult to enter into a country without that country's consent and to diminish the legal population of that country's importance/resonance than it is to build a wall to keep the seemingly unstappable wave out. If there is another way other than a wall, I've love to hear it.

Well, there is no easy answer, for sure. But just to get the 'creative juices' flowing:

The cost to the U.S. government for the war in Iraq the past three years has totalled more than $341,000,000,000.

The population of Mexico is about 107,000,000. 68,000,000 are of working age. 30% are unemployed or underemployed. The per capita income there is $6,770 (US dollars).

Less than half of the money spent fighting the war in Iraq would have been enough to provide living-wage funding to the entire working population of Mexico that is unemployed or underemployed over these past three years. I am not suggesting we just give away billions to Mexico, but it does cause one to think a bit about priorities.

People don't just pick up and leave their homes for the heck of it. My wife still loves her home country. I would prefer to still be living in my home state of Montana. But there is no work for us in either place, and we have kids to feed and bills to pay. So do Mexican families. Like others have said before, we have to address root causes, not symptoms.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 20:32

Well, there is no easy answer, for sure. But just to get the 'creative juices' flowing:

The cost to the U.S. government for the war in Iraq the past three years has totalled more than $341,000,000,000.

The population of Mexico is about 107,000,000. 68,000,000 are of working age. 30% are unemployed or underemployed. The per capita income there is $6,770 (US dollars).

Less than half of the money spent fighting the war in Iraq would have been enough to provide living-wage funding to the entire working population of Mexico that is unemployed or underemployed over these past three years. I am not suggesting we just give away billions to Mexico, but it does cause one to think a bit about priorities.

People don't just pick up and leave their homes for the heck of it. My wife still loves her home country. I would prefer to still be living in my home state of Montana. But there is no work for us in either place, and we have kids to feed and bills to pay. So do Mexican families. Like others have said before, we have to address root causes, not symptoms.

Not direct transfers but huge, serious and honest investments. Aren't these 2 nations capitalists? Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 20:32

People don't just pick up and leave their homes for the heck of it. My wife still loves her home country. I would prefer to still be living in my home state of Montana. But there is no work for us in either place, and we have kids to feed and bills to pay. So do Mexican families.

Like others have said before, we have to address root causes, not symptoms.

ahhhh...

we have another saying in the American south

Goddamn right

and that last statement is also the fundamental failure of this county's  so called 'war on terror' but that is off-topic here LOLLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 20:38
Make a wall in USA-Mexico frontier,is stupid.........,can you imagine Europa doing a wall in the mediterranean sea,for stop inmigrants of Africa.I believe there are leaders with very low I.Q..............SOME COMPANYS ARE COMPETITIVES,THANKS THE INMIGRANTS and they cant pay rent taxes because they win very low ,but they are a market too,they move the economy ,they eat,they buy dress, etc  ,  they pay indirect taxes....they are recovering spaces,.for example in New Orleans, and after all ,they are humans with feelings and hopes.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 20:45
Originally posted by markosherrera markosherrera wrote:

Make a wall in USA-Mexico frontier,is stupid.........,can you imagine Europa doing a wall in the mediterranean sea,for stop inmigrants of Africa.I believe there are leaders with very low I.Q..............SOME COMPANYS ARE COMPETITIVES,THANKS THE INMIGRANTS and they cant pay rent taxes because they win very low ,but they are a market too,they move the economy ,they eat,they buy dress, etc  ,  they pay indirect taxes....they are recovering spaces,.for example in New Orleans, and after all ,they are humans with feelings and hopes.

exactly....  I wouldn't say the leaders who wanted this have low IQ's.  It's just political pandering to right wing wackos.. without any practical consideration to the impact it would have here.  Thankfully the american public woke up and saw it before we were paying $5  for a head of lettuce LOL 

The freedom that makes this country so .... great and appealing is the freedom here.  Short of becoming a police state (staying away from that for now LOL) there is really nothing to be done about illegal immigration but TRY to control it. My two cents......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 23:30
I just received a PM from a member (Woon't mention his name because PM's must remain private) disgusted becauseof the use I doid of the term redneck, and I will clarify it because I have nothing against USA citizens but specifically against a funtionaty of USA Embasy in Perú back in 1991:

I said it because I specifically saw a redneck treating a Peruvian couple as sh!t.

He said and I quote: "You are not worth the risk of allowing you to enter to USA".

This is our country and USA Government should send people with a bit of sensibility, I wouldn't dare to insult a USA citizen in your country.

Iván

That guy acted as a redneck in all senses which BTW is not a racist term, it's more cultural, I'm as white as he is, but I'm also proud of my latin inheritance, and I felt insulted because  it's desrespectful for a foreign officer to insult people from a country that is receiving him.

The guy who attended me was very educated and polite but probably because I'm not a classical native Peruvian and I worked for a big company in those days.

Iván

Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 00:17
I think it's funny that the people who will probably be building the wall are the very ones the wall is meant to keep out.

OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 00:35
I have a very strong opinion of this but will sway from opinion here.

Just know that I am a border state citizen, and thus in the middle of all this.
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>