Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeil Peart - Pieces of Eight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neil Peart - Pieces of Eight
    Posted: November 11 2006 at 10:56
I have a sound page (remember those?) from an old issue of Modern Drummer Magazine featuring Neil Peart playing a great solo piece called Pieces Of Eight. Is anyone else familiar with the piece? Does it exist on any known CD?   
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 18:18
Great percussive piece!!!!That was a piece that Neal composed when he was trying out new drum kits(settling on a combination of acoustic and electric drums)and various percussion instruments.

Here is a short piece from an article in Modern Drummer:

Like many percussionists, I had long harbored a secret wish to create a piece of music using only percussion instruments, and this looked like the key to that dream! I practiced with the KAT for a few days and then, when I had a free day, recorded a "demo" of a marimba piece I had been working on over the summer.

I began with the marimba part, double-tracked it, and then overdubbed my acoustic drums on top (yes, the new Ludwigs!). I began experimenting with overdubbing different vibe sounds, a bass marimba, a cabasa, castanets, concert toms, metal sheets, African toms, and some highly tuned bongos. (All of this was played with mallets on the KAT unit.) I did use one of Geddy's keyboard sounds, but since it consisted of a marimba with a human voice mixed in, I decided that was close enough!

The biggest difficulty was finding a good bass instrument in the percussion library. The bass marimba didn't provide the power in the bottom end that I was looking for, so we experimented with some other things. We ended up using an African drum called a Djembe - transposed to the keyboard - and I played the bass part with that! It made me laugh - a new definition of "bass drum"!

The piece is entitled "Pieces Of Eight" because of all the different time signatures it ended up meandering through. I hadn't thought about that too much just playing the marimba, until I had to learn it on drums! With only a day to record it all, I didn't really have time to play it more than a couple of times through, so that, too, was a good challenge.

I find it interesting as a drummer to work with a melodic instrument and think melody as well as rhythm. You can really get into some wild areas! In a way, I wish I hadn't been so obsessed with drums alone in the beginning and had acquired more knowledge of music theory. But I suppose in this day and age you do have to specialize!

Now, if I only had about two weeks in the studio to work on this thing...

So I've got my new drumkit. Am I happy now? Well, yeah! Here I've managed to hang on to the best of both worlds: an exciting-sounding acoustic set and an incredibly versatile and "user-friendly" electronic set. Who could ask for more?

Well, how about "Pieces Of Eight" becoming a hit single? Ha-ha!

The entire article is here:

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/peartquestfornewdrums.htm

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 19:57

I didn't see a link to download the track...Embarrassed

Post Reply Post Reply