Topic ClosedTASAVALLAN PRESIDENTTI, Helsinki 13.11.2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: TASAVALLAN PRESIDENTTI, Helsinki 13.11.2006
    Posted: November 15 2006 at 05:03

TASAVALLAN PRESIDENTTI has gathered an interesting line-up from their classic personnel, and they have released a new record with new compositions first time after 1974. The band consist members from the line-up of both first and last line-up. The drummer VESA AALTONEN and guitarist JUKKA TOLONEN have been part in all of the albums, but the real gem in this crown is the saxophone player JUHANI AALTONEN from their first album. Also the singer FRANK ROBSON is from the first line-up, and I like this vocal tone much. The bass player HEIKKI VIRTANEN is also a real pro, a really active and skillful musician.

This concert in Savoy-Theater in Helsinki was a part of a tour promoting their new release, and the set list had many of the new songs. These were quite good tracks, resembling their earlier songs which have nice jazzy themes, and then lots of space for playing. As both tenor instrumentalists are very talented, this meant much of great solos. Jukka played in great late 60’s style giving really cool fast bluesy solos, and Juhani played in 50’s/60’s jazz style, bringing really fine tones to the overall sound. The set opened with their old tune “Deep Thinker”, being really fabulous song. After this we get some new tunes which were great, but I don’t recall the names of them. There was also a more classic instrumental rock’n’roll number in the set, which fitted there very well, as it also worked as a great platform for wild playing resembling JIMI HENDRIX’s “Driving South”. After a show pause, the set continued with an instrumental new arrangement of the track “Dance” from “Lambertland” album. This worked extremely well, and the drummer revealed that the track’s original work name was “Noitarumpu” (A Witch Drum). After this we got more songs from the new album + some more arrangements from their “Lambertland” album. I think these tracks from EERO RAITTINEN era are bit hard for Frank to sing, but the versions very good still. The enthusiastic crowd applaused the band back to do a fabulous version of FRANK ZAPPA’s “King Kong”, a cover performance I wish that would be released one day! The crowd would have wanted more, but the set list it got made a great concert evening, and it was great to hear new stuff from the band, which I hope will be active in the future also. I have not yet listened their new CD, but the compositions in it sounded good,m and the band was brilliant, so I hope this album will be marketed for outside Finland too!

Post Reply Post Reply