Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Faust dilemma.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Faust dilemma.
    Posted: November 21 2006 at 14:26
Well, some weeks ago I downloaded Faust's Wümme Years box because I've read reviews that immediately got my curiosity running wild. I heard some stuff from it and have been reluctant to listen to most of it, because it was so damn excellent that I KNOW I end up buying their stuff. Santa and birthday are coming soon and I wanna know what would be the best way to buy their catalogue.
When I would get the albums that are included in the box set it will end up being cheaper and it seems awesome to have the 1st 2 albums on 1 cd, I'm also not quite sure if the BBC disc is available seperately. It's being listed on the CD-WOW site, but it's not listed in many discographies...
I would also like to get the Faust IV cd that's not on the box, but that's not an issue, ofcourse.

So... what do you think is a better investment?
(Sound isn't an issue if it's not remarkably different.)
Please help me out, I would appreciate it!

Edited by Kaztor - November 21 2006 at 14:30
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 17:46
Ultimately, you're gonna want all of the seventies stuff.  The debut is awesome, So Far is slightly underwhelming, but still good.  Faust Tapes is an aquired taste, but you'll end up loving it.  Faust IV is probably the most accessible, and 71 Minutes catches the band more or less fooling around, but it's good.  The BBC sessions are not avaliable elsewhere, so I would recommend you buy the other disks, then accidentally not delete the BBC sessions from your computer.  Wink

Kaztor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 18:25
I heard Why Don't You Eat Carrots and some of the stuff of Faust Tapes and it's unlike everything I ever heard before. The stuff from the Faust Tapes is a bit like what Radiohead did on Kid A, only more extreme. Pretty awesome!

Lol, so... it's a tiny little bit like something I heard before, but still..... holy sh*t!

Edited by Kaztor - November 21 2006 at 18:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 21:27
Originally posted by Kaztor Kaztor wrote:

I heard Why Don't You Eat Carrots and some of the stuff of Faust Tapes and it's unlike everything I ever heard before. The stuff from the Faust Tapes is a bit like what Radiohead did on Kid A, only more extreme. Pretty awesome!

Lol, so... it's a tiny little bit like something I heard before, but still..... holy sh*t!

Do you have any other Krautrock?  Faust is one of the definitive Kraut bands, so if you like them, explore the Krautrock section of the site.  I recomend Can, Amon Duul II, early Krafwerk, and Ash Ra Tempel, to name a few. 

Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 22:13
You could always try selling your soul to the devil to raise the money.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 06:14
Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I've seen a new edition of Faust IV with a bonus disc, which I believe has the Peel session on it.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 07:54
Yeah, I bought that. I've only listened to the album once so far, and thought it was pretty good, but not immidiately accessible. I feel with a few more listens I'll enjoy it a lot more (as is usually the way with some of the odder Krautrock bands)
Kaztor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 16:55
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Do you have any other Krautrock?  Faust is one of the definitive Kraut bands, so if you like them, explore the Krautrock section of the site.  I recomend Can, Amon Duul II, early Krafwerk, and Ash Ra Tempel, to name a few. 

I have Can's Monster Movie and Tago Mago and also dig the more 'out there' stuff from other prog bands like KC, Soft Machine and my hero Frank Zappa. So.... I'm pretty new to that subgenre. About the Can ones; I like Monster Movie and totally adore Tago Mago. It's a masterpiece of extremes. Extremely groovy yet totally uncompromising stuff from a band with the right attitude.
I heard Tago Mago is Can's 'deep end' and that they have some more masterpieces that are somewhat 'nicer'.
Fill me in on that.

I'm also sniffing Amon Duul and have downloaded the song Soap Shop Rock, which is pretty cool.
Kaztor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 16:58
Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

I'll play him Faust's Carrots and Can's Aumgn and he will leave his properties to me in sheer subservience.

angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 17:15
faust is excelent example of great kraut rock.i have heard faust 4 .awesome cd,  hypnotic trip through the universe of the in which imagination meets reality.But i would recomend you to listen ash ra tempel-schwingungen/seven up.that is extraordinary,strange ,on a moments weird,stun you crash you in some deep vaults,after a while you are on a top again,what can i say. you shoud listen .also amon duul 2is a hell of a music.falus dei ,yeti   albums worth dying for(ok,maybe not die for but brake a leg or something,Smile)
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
Kaztor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 16:13
Thanks for the nice comments and recommendations, people!
Kaztor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 18:11
Today I received the Faust/So Far two-fer.
I think I've played it about 6 times. I can't get enough of it.
It's fantastic!
It's one big freak-out-fest with the occasional melodic bits inbetween. Lots of awesome psych jams with mindbending sounds thrown in. It's very difficult to describe but it's one to blast out with high volume!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 23:52

I heard Tago Mago is Can's 'deep end' and that they have some more masterpieces that are somewhat 'nicer'.
Fill me in on that.

Ege Bamyasi is just as weird, but with shorter, more melodic pieces.  If you want "nice," Future Days is rather peaceful and very melodic.  Soon Over Babaluma is also great.  I'm not a big fan of Landed, but after the others you should check that out too.

As far as Amon Duul II goes, Phallus Dei and Tanz Der Lemminge are my personal favorites.

Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 09:14
Wolf City!!
Kaztor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 18:49
I got me that one 2nd hand on Ebay!
Will get it by next week.

Edited by Kaztor - December 02 2006 at 18:50
Kaztor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 19:58
Originally posted by Paradox Paradox wrote:

Wolf City!!

Got it today and like it a lot!

Kaztor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 21:06
Okay, by now I got me a lot more (Faust Tapes, 71 Minutes, IV etc.) and it's all pretty awesome! Can't really pick out a fav by now because each album has it's own identity.
Once again: Thanks for all the recommendations, people! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply