Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich album do you "rather dislike"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which of these albums can you not stand?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [6.85%]
5 [6.85%]
10 [13.70%]
9 [12.33%]
6 [8.22%]
17 [23.29%]
21 [28.77%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 20:49
Octavarium > Train of Thought and Falling Into Infinity

video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 20:47
Presto is great I don't see it belonging with the others in this group. Although I'm not sure on discipline I haven't heard it.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 20:34
Why do would anyone hate Discipline? It's one of the best albums ever!!!
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 20:31
Where is Counterparts???

Yet, hate is a big word...I would rather say...detest...I detest Counterparts

Edited by el böthy - November 29 2006 at 20:43
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Fuzz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 20:11
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe.

Load of crap. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 19:59
There is no album that I absolutely hate (in prog at least).
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 19:42
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [66.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]

Tormato I kinda like... Genesis sucked but those weren't prog albums so.... Haven't heard Presto or Love Beach (the name is absolutely the most atrocious ever for a prog album, though)... Octavarium is very good.... Discilpline is the one... I can't stand it.... REPETITION is not pure genious!! The same rhythm over and over just makes songs boring.... it has no soul.... coldest music I can't remember... It almost completely sucks....were it not for the high level of musicianship, this album wouldn't have any redeeming features

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 19:30
Which album do you think is not only bad, it set prog back a few years? This is similar to the "When bands lost it" thread but these albums affected your perception of a band and/or prog in general as opposed to just sucking.

Discipline is one of my favorite KC albums, but some fans view it as a attempt to break through to the mainstream.

Tormato brought an end to Yes' prog domination; though not terrible, it does not measure up to Yes' standards.

Octavarium is the worst album in the DT discography, though its still decent and contains one of their best racks in the stunning title epic.

Presto is where many Rush fans jumped ship for good.

I first heard Genesis through a friend who lent me Seconds Out, Adacab, and And Then There Were Three. While I enjoyed the live albm, I could not stand the studio output. I removed every album except Seconds Out from my iPod and told my friend he was crazy (turns out he had no idea who they were and received the albums from his grandparents in Germany). Finally, I heard Selling England and understood the genius of Genesis. However, I feel the departure of Hackett left a huge void in the band that was filled with lame and uninspired pop songs.

Then, there's Love Beach. I reviewed this album on the main site, where I unleashed my venom on this album (look for 1800iareyay's review if interested). However, once I submitted the review, I discovered that I wanted to say more, which is part of the reason I sarted this poll. Love Beach is wrist-cuttingly bad. The pathetic lyrics, beyond subpar instrumentality, and commercial gloss shook my faith deeply in ELP, and prog since, at the time, ELP was the only prog band I had listened to. Thankfully, Yes swooped in a saved me soon after. After I began to appreciate prog, I thought my then-15 year old brain couldn't grasp the deep levels that surely must have been present on LB. So I listened to it again. About halfway through the seeming epic Officer and a Gentleman, I took out my trusty Boy Scout pocketknife, opened it, and plunged it into my thigh. I did this to distract myself from the pain. Love Beach, IMO, a stain on progressive music and, to me, is to prog as "Glitter" or "Showgirls" is to cinema. Nothing about that album is good, nothing. It will always get my vote not only as the worst album of prog, but my personal choice for the worst album of all time.

Edited by 1800iareyay - November 30 2006 at 18:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234