Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhil Collins: Serious Discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Indeed. I've seen a profile thing from the 70s where Phil listed his influence as being Jon Anderson of Yes, yet some 20 years later he was railing against it. Rather like an interview in 1990 where he said Genesis had never sold out then in 2001 he said they had!!

Now that's some bipolar personality... that's what I wanted to bring out, but unfortunately I lacked sources to sustain it

Edited by Chus - December 08 2006 at 14:02
Jesus Gabriel
peter_gabriel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 14:50
the phil collins era is a great work just like the gabriel era.. 
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 15:51
Originally posted by Chus Chus wrote:

he said in the 90's that he was glad that the punk thing happened because he wasn't really into all that progressive vibe

Still Genesis played Prog five more years (at least live) after 1976 when Punk arrived. Not only did they continue, they only got bigger and bigger. The first Punk wave came to a halt before Genesis stopped playing prog.
ryba View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 16:04
for me he seems the best musician in genesis and one of the best pop musicians ever.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 16:18
during his days with Genesis, he had the courage to hold the role of the vocalist while still behind the drums. Just like Peter Gabriel, he gave to his solo career a different impulse than in genesis, and we can't blame him for that, even if it got more commercial with each release. He drummed for many artists/bands, among which Elliot Murphy, Mike Oldfield, Café Jacques, Brian Eno, John Martyn and like other acclaimed drummers such as Simon Phillips or Terry Bozzio his drumming is always impeccable. Just for this reason he deserves respect.   
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
bjwalton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 16:21
First of let me say that I do rank Phil Collins among the best drummers. His work on Genesis during the Peter Gabriel era is outstanding. Futhermore, he continued to play some of his best most intricate works around at the beginning of his career as Genesis' singer as well. Let's not forget his work on Brand X - there are few drummers around that can play that type of music and play it well.

I'm really surprised in this discussion about an aspect of Collins work that has been overlooked. To me the part that changed both his playing and the overall sound of Genesis and his solo work is technology. Phil fell in love with drum machines, something that most drummers don't care for. Remember, Phil fell in love with the drum machine because he was also trying to make his mark as a songwriter. The drum machine allowed him to focus on his singing. His early solo work may have been pop but his drumming was still far superior than most pop acts around. I think the music he gets most often criticized for is the electronic stuff. At the same time his experimentation with effects on drums (gated snare for example) became part of his signature sound and copied by dozens of drummers and studio engineers during the 80's.

For me - when I listen to eighties Genesis - the times when Collins was actually playing drums, but doing so on an electronic kit sounds terribly dated. I read in a previous post someone critical of We Can't Dance. I think We Can't Dance is resonably good. There are some ballads that I find uninteresting but the biggest difference is that there is real drumming on the album. Compare that to Invisible Touch which is mostly on an electrinic kit.

I could go on - but mainly I wanted to see what everyone thought about the drum machines and electronics. For me that is how Genesis and Phil solo became poppier sounding.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 16:26
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

Hey, I have been meaning to ask this for a while.

For some reason, I feel as though Phil Collins was and is one of the most "passion-less" musicians ever.  I will explain:

When he performed Supper's Ready for Seconds Out, I was disturbed by the final portion where he does his stupid mannerisms and looks around at everything like he is putting on a show, and trying to mimic gabriel.

I don't know if anyone can take this feeling away from me, but I really wish I didn't think this.  I LOVE his drumming with genesis, and always thought he was cool with them...but now whenever I watch old Gabriel genesis videos I look at collins in a different light.  He just seems like he NEVER liked what they were doing, and was never really into the whole FEEL of the music.

Am I wrong? I am not certain, maybe it is just me, but I can't help but feel like this towards Collins.

Please, if anyone has anything to add, let me know!

Thank you!

I think it was a big ask for Collins following Gabriel and he tried to stamp his way of doing things.I've got a DVD of Genesis peforming on the Duke tour and its very intersting to see what Collins does.For instance he tells a very stupid story before one of the songs about 'Albert' having a walking stick stuck up his arse.Its totally cringeworthy but its Collins way of having a joke and meeting head on the comparison that people inevitably had with him and Gabriel as Genesis front men.I think Collins was well into the music but he simply couldn't sing the same way Gabriel did and was glad when they could ditch the proggier stuff and go for his forte..the ballad. To be fair he got the front man job in Genesis because no one else could do it.Genesis could just have folded in 1975 altogether.That would not have been good IMO.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 16:31
Originally posted by bjwalton bjwalton wrote:

I'm really surprised in this discussion about an aspect of Collins work that has been overlooked. To me the part that changed both his playing and the overall sound of Genesis and his solo work is technology. Phil fell in love with drum machines, something that most drummers don't care for. Remember, Phil fell in love with the drum machine because he was also trying to make his mark as a songwriter.
What about Bruford, who is praised as no one, but whose use of electronic drums in yes live performance (an evening of yes music plus), earthworks and Kazumi Watanabe's spice of life is hard to appreciate ? For that matter, i think Steve Negus, the drummer for Saga, developped an interesting use of electronic drums on saga's 'worlds apart', 'heads or tales' and 'behaviour'.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Losendos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 16:37
 Drum machines were ubiquitous in the 80s and one of the main reasons that decade stunk.
How wonderful to be so profound
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 20:11
Originally posted by Frasse Frasse wrote:

he said in the 90's that he was glad that the punk thing happened because he wasn't really into all that progressive vibe

Still Genesis played Prog five more years (at least live) after 1976 when Punk arrived. Not only did they continue, they only got bigger and bigger. The first Punk wave came to a halt before Genesis stopped playing prog.

remember that prog bands began to decline slowly.. The remaining trio felt compelled to write more radio-friendly songs since 1978, and "progressively" they'd been degenerating into an 80's pop band. since 1981 to be more precise began pop-era genesis ahead
Jesus Gabriel
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 22:24
Originally posted by El Morula El Morula wrote:

What's the point of bashing Collins and Collin's Genesis in every opportunity?. Why I never find any polls about the lousy music EL&P wrote after Works (being WORKS a mediocre work anyway), or about the insipid and unoriginal pop by Yes after Going for the one?, or about Rush after Permanent waves. Or Tull after Heavy horses, Gentle giant after 1974, Banco after 1975, Premiata after the third album, etc etc etc. ?????...Is bashing Collins and Genesis in the 80's a sport?.

For those who have not noticed it. Collins has played way more Progressive rock and other complex genres than Peter Gabriel has in his carrer. First of all, are you aware who were actually playing the music in those outstanding instrumentals of Hogweed, Musical box, In the cage, Supper's ready, The knife (live) etc etc etc etc etc ???. It certainly wasn't Gabriel. While Collins was breaking his back delivering some of the best drumming in prog in every concert, Gabriel was making funny faces, dancing around, drinking water, staying still, or, in the best case, playing those little tambourines that you never get to listen. Gabriel might have written the lyrics to most of the songs, including The lamb's, where he admits never placing a foot in the rehearsals room where the music was actually made, where Collins was a fundamental element. Collins as some well state, participated in several prog and fusion projects, playing great drums in every single second of every track. Where was Gabriel at the time?, writing his first and second solo albums with songs like "Moribund The Burgermeister", "Waiting For The Big One"....they suck big time !!!, and they could hardly be called prog !!!. He even wrote a pure pop song with "Solsbury hill". "Here comes the flood" is lovely, but not because of the complexity or its progressiveness, because it's neither !!!. But because of the feeling to it, but that's it. The first Collins album is way better than any first 4 album by Gabriel. The fact that Gabriel's had a little less pop don't make them any better. "The rythm of the heat" and "Lay your hands on me", "here comes the flood" nad "San jacinto" are the first interesting songs by Gabriel as a solo composer, and no one could deny they are very inconsistent and unpolished (at least the first 2 mentioned). The main strenght in Gabriel is the feeling and he couldn't deliver it in a sharp and consistent manner until his 4th or 5th album.

(   Hey, right now my MP3 selected Tonight Tonight tonight randomly. From the so called "shame of prog", "Genesis purest sellout"...Etc.Has anybody payed attention to the middle section?, among other details?..These instrumental is way more interesting and complex than Close to the edge's !!!, the "best song in prog". Would anybody dare saying otherwise?. Honestly?.

The only defect I find in Genesis and Collins in the 80's is that their albums are from...the 80's !!!, stupid comment right?...Well, I find people bashing Genesis and Collins because in the back of their minds have the album covers and the 80's word that doesn't let them actually listen to the music.  )

He is still making "no straight pop"?...So what?, he started making interesting music some 14 or 15 years after Collins had played 38,978,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999.00 notes of the best prog !!!. Gabriel was and may still be hungry to actually write something similar to prog, and he had better since he spent hundreds of concerts watching 4 guys playing music he could hardly say he participated in. People love bashing Collins for making pop. These people should also be more inteligent to notice he played prog for around 300 live shows (just to tell a number), for some 10 albums and for a good number of very good songs in plain 80's.

I love Gabriel's music, and as a Genesis fan I feel proud to say he was part of my beloved band, but please !!!, stop making a superheroe out of his memory. He never played a prog note in the 70's, managed to create some complex songs until US and Passion (where he got help from a wide number of musicians), he is still making something that could not be called completly pop, but that's it !!!. He's not the proggiest man by excelence. Collins I repeat, has played and composed way much more prog than Gabriel himself. And even as a Solo artist, I'd rather listen to "I don't care anymore", "I can hear through these walls", "like china", "Do you know, do you care", "Long Long Way To Go", "The west side", "In the air tonight" than most of Gabriels' first clumsy attempts as main composer. Lots of people will say they hate "But seriously". I for one, love it. You who argue Collins has no inspiration, just pay attention to "Saturday Night And Sunday Morning" and "Hang In Long Enough", full of energy and great pop. Yes !!, POP !!. Who cares about the genre if the music is well done?, Have you heard anything by Le Orme?, it's supposed to be great prog, no matter how much I've been listening to it carefully in the last few weeks, I find it cheesier everyday !!!. I push play on "Lessons of love" by Level 42 (Pure 80's pop) and keep loving it since it's release. I have news for you guys !!, Prog is not a warranty of quality !!.

"he's not prog, he's prog. I hate his pop"...give me a break !!!. Some of the most inspiring songs in history have nothing to do with prog. Has anybody listened to "Scarborough fair" by Simon and Garfunkel ?. "I heard it through the grape vine" by Marvin Gaye?.

If someone is wondering wether I really like Prog. Be sure I do, and I like even the least accesible. When it's good, I love it, when it's cheesy I hate it more than a Justin timberlake song.

So, yes...This must be surprising to most people. In a carrer balance, Collins has been way proggier than Gabriel himself. The so called "purist of prog"..HAHAHA !!!.

ClapClapClap

Spectacular.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 22:26
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

I agree with El Morula, Phil Collins is an arse.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Well actually I could:

Phil Collins is an arse and he's bald.

Now those are some musical arguments....

If you're going to bash Collins, pick at least an interesting reason...

For example, say he has a ridiculous round face....

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 22:37

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight is a dull attempt to throw bread crumbs to old fans, but considering it was the 80's it was interesting to hear on the radio at the time, because of the odd harmonies in the middle. Still, you simply can't compare it with the mid-section in "Robbery, Assault & Battery", "Firth Of Fifth", "Can-Utility and The Coastliners" or "Fountain Of Salmacis". Since their 80's era they were mostly homophonic with repetitive intermitent drum machine patterns and repetitive scales played with electronic devices, and that song is not really an exception, but the 80's and 90's pop scene was terrible in the whole, and Genesis was among that scene's bands and artists. Phil Collins also relied on generic homophonic ballads and repetitive rhythms. Peter Gabriel would had been a nobody, were it not for a great backing band that was Genesis; but to me he made more adventurous compositions than Genesis in the 80's, still considering Peter as another pop outfit in the category of Adult Contemporary Rock and "World Music", but certainly not "prog", and that's why he's in prog-related in the first place. I haven't read anyone yet calling Peter a "prog purist", and if they have, I'd doubt their objectivity. But no matter how talented Phil Collins might be, he's still in for the money most of all, and I don't see his easy-to-digest ballads and cheap synth-pop output on this page in any way; and personally, his pop music goes nowhere in my list of great pop artists.

Excuse me my dearest friend, but... how the hell do you know that???!!!??

So you KNOW he's in pop only because of the money.... you say that, within himself, he DOESN'T like what he's doing?

I think he was wealthy enough even before leaving Genesis so I really doubt he HAD TO PLAY MUSIC HE REALLY HATED.

He likes pop music... OK!

My favorite genre is prog, just after classical.... but: i can hear when good music FOR EVERY genre is performed....

Yes... we can't compare Supper's Ready with Two Hearts or other Collins hit.... but then, that would be a STUPID comparison.... how the hell can you compare music made with different purposes, different audiences in mind? For sure Supper's Ready is a wonder and the other is a little insignificant pop song... but WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH COLLINS "DOING IT JUST FOR THE MONEY" and not, maybe, just maybe, and I could be saying something too outrageous, weird, incredible, un-heard of, but let's say it: what if he's doing that 'cause he LIKES IT?

As someone perfectly said, not EVERy PROG music is good (there's a lot of crap)... and, at the same time, non-prog music (yes, even filthy POP) can have interesting elements... and Collins' pop surely does.. from time to time (I'm not saying Sussudio was good, that was turly the epitome of awfulness)....

Gyllir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 23:17
"What's the point of bashing Collins and Collin's Genesis in every opportunity?"
You lost me when you started bashing Gabriel.
I do have respect for Phil, but I prefer Gabriel's first four albums over Genesis's stuff at the same time. Neither of them are prog of course but I believe there's more soul in Peter's stuff.
I like Phil on the early stuff. Very talented. I don't care for the later Genesis stuff but I can't really argue about it since I've only heard the stuff that was played on the radio. And no, I won't listen to any later Genesis albums. Maybe it's good, but I doubt it, and I'll take the chance of being wrong. Frankly I'm too busy listening to Hackett's music to bash Phil even though it is fun. I never really got into Steve's solo material until recently and I'm lovin' it!
I do have occasional nightmares about the Big 5 reunion tour though. The latest: On the Marquee: GENESIS with Peter Gabriell and Steve Hocket. (Not typos). And for an encore the band plays Against All Odds with Phil on vocals and Peter on drums.
I have warmed to Phil over the years though. My friend who introduced me to Genesis hated on Phil but eventually I discovered WaW and ATotT and really fell in love with them. Unfortunately I first listened to them while going through my second divorce so I have unpleaseant memories as I listen to those songs.
I kind of like the Shapes CD (the only one I've heard). I just think at the time there were so many Phil solo albums and with Mike and his Mechanic's it was just cheesy pop overload. I was surprised that there were so few later Genesis albums actually, with many years between some of them.
I suppose Banks is the McCartney of the band. He had issues with both Peter and Steve. Maybe I should start bashing him.   
When you're racing in the rapids. There's only one way, that's to ride.
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 02:53
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

He was almost in Yes? Huh. Well, Phil isn't as good as Bruford, but he's pretty damn good anyway. I wonder how it would have turned out, had they switched places...

...or even switching places with Barriemore Barlow? I don't know the context in which it happened, but I remember The Old Grey Whistle Test (extremely good British music TV show of yesteryear) showing a live film of Jethro Tull playing 'Cross Eyed Mary'... guess who was on drums?

There is a 1976 concert film of Genesis playing in Stafford which features a Bruford/Collins duet - fan as I am of Chester Thompson, Bruford brought out so much more from Collins & it's a shame he toured with them for such a limited time.    

I seem to recall something later that Barrie's time (I think)...some kind of a benefit with Prince? Anyway, Phil the Boomer based the kit with Uncle Ian that night. Possibly. Unless that was Bruford, but I don't think it was.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Losendos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 04:34
 I'm happy to see some clarity on the Phil Collins issue.Having been around for the rise and fall of 70s prog and away from prog for 20 years I was stunned to see the animosity he generated on this list which seemed to me to be all  bad emotion and few facts. There is a dark human "need" for a scapegoat and it seems that many who were frustrated by the appalling state of modern music in the 80s turned Phil into a whipping boy though the truth is his pop was a lot better than most . Nor is it easy to write a big hit . You can see the  same human tendency in the middle east where every failing  state blames  Israel  for their situation.

The reality is Phil Collins made a great contribution to prog but his musical interests are diverse and he had  a desire to earn well and nowadays has pumped some of his fortune into worthwhile causes.
How wonderful to be so profound
JohnGargo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 09:47

There was an interview with Genesis not too long along, the three remaining members, and they were all asked what their favorite albums were.  Mike Rutherford said "the first side of Genesis," Tony Banks said Duke and Phil Collins said The Lamb Lies Down on BroadwaySmile

rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 11:36

To say Collins has a "lack of passion" is not fair. He's doing funny things at times but that don't mean he don't take serious what he's doing or even he wouldn't like it, that's not true. Although there's some things left to complain about his solo-albums since ( or after, if you like it, like many do ) "But seriously" and his voice has lost some of its depth ( this may be due to a non-singer singing ) I think most of all what happened is Phil's gotten "overplayed" from the 80s to the start of the 90s and maybe now it's just not his time after we all got a little too much of it. That don't make his work with Genesis less great and it don't change a thing about his 2nd solo-album being a great piece of music ( if there only weren't You can't hurry love... I believe I've read the same statement about this album by Tony Banks ).

Stop putting that man down, please
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 10:05
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight is a dull attempt to throw bread crumbs to old fans, but considering it was the 80's it was interesting to hear on the radio at the time, because of the odd harmonies in the middle. Still, you simply can't compare it with the mid-section in "Robbery, Assault & Battery", "Firth Of Fifth", "Can-Utility and The Coastliners" or "Fountain Of Salmacis". Since their 80's era they were mostly homophonic with repetitive intermitent drum machine patterns and repetitive scales played with electronic devices, and that song is not really an exception, but the 80's and 90's pop scene was terrible in the whole, and Genesis was among that scene's bands and artists. Phil Collins also relied on generic homophonic ballads and repetitive rhythms. Peter Gabriel would had been a nobody, were it not for a great backing band that was Genesis; but to me he made more adventurous compositions than Genesis in the 80's, still considering Peter as another pop outfit in the category of Adult Contemporary Rock and "World Music", but certainly not "prog", and that's why he's in prog-related in the first place. I haven't read anyone yet calling Peter a "prog purist", and if they have, I'd doubt their objectivity. But no matter how talented Phil Collins might be, he's still in for the money most of all, and I don't see his easy-to-digest ballads and cheap synth-pop output on this page in any way; and personally, his pop music goes nowhere in my list of great pop artists.

Excuse me my dearest friend, but... how the hell do you know that???!!!??

So you KNOW he's in pop only because of the money.... you say that, within himself, he DOESN'T like what he's doing?

I think he was wealthy enough even before leaving Genesis so I really doubt he HAD TO PLAY MUSIC HE REALLY HATED.

He likes pop music... OK!

My favorite genre is prog, just after classical.... but: i can hear when good music FOR EVERY genre is performed....

Yes... we can't compare Supper's Ready with Two Hearts or other Collins hit.... but then, that would be a STUPID comparison.... how the hell can you compare music made with different purposes, different audiences in mind? For sure Supper's Ready is a wonder and the other is a little insignificant pop song... but WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH COLLINS "DOING IT JUST FOR THE MONEY" and not, maybe, just maybe, and I could be saying something too outrageous, weird, incredible, un-heard of, but let's say it: what if he's doing that 'cause he LIKES IT?

As someone perfectly said, not EVERy PROG music is good (there's a lot of crap)... and, at the same time, non-prog music (yes, even filthy POP) can have interesting elements... and Collins' pop surely does.. from time to time (I'm not saying Sussudio was good, that was turly the epitome of awfulness)....

I think you misunderstood the context of what I was saying, The T.....
I was answering to the post saying that Tonight Tonight Tonight was an amazing prog song... even better than close to the edge... I begged to differ that it was just a stupid repetitive tune with a certain progressive sensitivity and some nostalgia over past efforts (which were their greatest, certainly better than that song in particular), THAT'S WHY I PREFER OLD GENESIS OVER THE NEW ONE,if that was prog I'd rather listen to their old songs anyway. Perhaps Genesis was a great pop act in the 80's, but I still don't like it even as pop, I'd listen to other pop artists over Genesis or Phil anytime

plus he DID it for the money.. come on, all of the sudden he loves YES again, when he clearly stated that they were boring before??????? hehe if that's true then yes he just loves playing anything that could make profits. I mean he has the right to change his mind and all but surely since prog has been a bit more recognized again and prog fans are buying more their old albums than pop bands their 80's wastebin material, he has been praising Yes, calling for reunion of old bandmates and playing with The Musical Box, now wasn't that a drag before?.

BTW: pop music in the 80's was not the best thing in the world, but I do listen to classic pop music from time to time, some motown, soul and melodic pop of the 70's and I don't like all prog just because it's prog, and I admit there is crappy prog, but I do think that Phil Collins solo career had it's share of disposable material, as well as Genesis 80's material (land of confusion, I mean come on    )

Edited by Chus - December 10 2006 at 10:20
Jesus Gabriel
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 12:54
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

Someone remind me...what was the reason that Phil joined Genesis? Didn't he pick up a flyer that said something like: "Drummer wanted for rock band with 12-string guitars"?

He almost joined Yes!! He was all set to replace Bruford when he left to go to university. An audition had been arranged, but he went to the Genesis audition instead. I think he may have been 'head hunted' by Tony Smith. I think the ad Genesis put in the Melody Maker, said something like they wanted a drummer 'sensitive' to 12 string guitars..

I generally dont like Collins rendition of Suppers Ready. I bet he hated performing it too. He always knew it was Petes song, and that he was never going to put it across as it should be. I love all the PC Genesis albums up to Duke. Phil Collins was an important part of the bands sound and dynamic, with his brilliant drumming. I actually like his voice too.

Phil Collins is a very talented musician, and his taste in music is actually pretty good. He likes classic soul, Motown, jazz and fusion. John Martyn is another favourite. If he prefers all that to Yes and Pink Floyd, I dont see a problem with that. The problem is quite simply that as a solo musician he seems incapable, or certainly unwilling to even try to write good music.

Yes. Collins was going to an audition to be YES drummer. He approached Anderson after a gig, Anderson said "yes, you can go to an audition; call us later", but Collins didn`t call. But he didn`t go to an audition for Genesis instead, because that happened almost two years later. He was in a band called "Flaming Youth" and he recorded an album with them which was released in 1969. He auditioned for Genesis in mid 1970, and he wanted to join  YES in late 1968. Bruford left YES for the first time  in their very early gigs. He was replaced by Tony O`Reilly. Also Ian Wallace, later drummer of  King Crimson, played at least once with them before Bruford re-joined the band for Cream`s Farewell Concert in November 1968, after he left the University to become a full time musician.

Another Collins`"hate thread". How many? Anybody knows? How many more? LOL

Collins helped survive Genesis after Gabriel left. He was accepted by their fans then. But maybe his tastes of music changed with age. I don`t think that he is "guilty" for that.

Maybe he was more "happy"  to be a member of Genesis between 1976 and 1980. When his first album was successful, I think that he lost more motivation to be in the band, which gradually developed more until he decided to leave the band in 1996.

Edited by Guillermo - December 10 2006 at 12:59
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>