Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKubrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What is your favourite of his films?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.00%]
3 [6.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [16.00%]
13 [26.00%]
15 [30.00%]
2 [4.00%]
6 [12.00%]
2 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kubrick
    Posted: December 22 2006 at 11:59
This comes as a Western counterpoint to the Tarkovsky poll (yeah I have this issues with opposing and complementary cultures but don't kill me). Kubrick also got a lot of discussing with many thoughtful posts and I'd like to have things clear. I'll get back with my vote after I get to see Paths of Glory and Lolita, the only ones I've missed.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 12:18
Without trying to offend any fans of his work,I think Kubrick is a vastly overrated director,most of his films are just terrible.That's just my personal opinion though.

But A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket are great movies.Out of those two I would pick Clockwork.

Edited by TheProgtologist - December 22 2006 at 12:19

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 12:23
Kubrick is a GREAT director.

Edited by Snow Dog - December 22 2006 at 12:24
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 12:52
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Without trying to offend any fans of his work,I think Kubrick is a vastly overrated director,most of his films are just terrible.That's just my personal opinion though.

well, nobody should take offence about someone else's different choices in taste. i do admitt there are other western directors that i could have used to do the counterpoint poll to Tarkovsky, but these are my reasons:
- most of them are not as widely known these days as Kubrick, think of Pasolini, Truffaut, Bunuel, Visconti, Antonioni, etc.
- others are widely known but have made so many films that the poll would have dilluted (Fellini for example; even i, a hardcore fan, haven't seen sufficient of his film in order to have a definitive opinion) or i simply haven't got to know their work properly (Woody Allen, Scorsese, Coppola, etc).
so, having in mind that he made masterpieces that can stand any trial (i also think his work is overall a work of genius and is not overrated, but that's just imo) and he does fit all the qualities that make a typical Western artist as opposed to a typically Eastern artist like Tarkovsky, i chose Kubrick.

Edited by andu - December 22 2006 at 12:53
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 13:38
I've seen good part of films listed above, and must admit they are good films (except Space Odyssey and Spartacus, which I find to be quite shallow), but Kubrik is nowhere near Tarkovskiy - different league thus not comparable by any means. As to the making of counterpoint - that's what I do not understand at all, as I am not seeing Tarkovskiy as typically eastern artist or pure representative of eastern culture at all - it's actually difficult to find more "international" film drector than Tarkovskiy was.

carefulwiththataxe
ResidentAlien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 13:46
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

But A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket are great movies.Out of those two I would pick Clockwork.

Gee, sure am sorry I blew my 120 bucks on the Kubrick boxset then.Wink

Bah, as for a favorite.... tough call.  The only film of his I don't particularly like is Spartacus... but he hated that one too.

I'd say it's a three-way tie between A Clockwork Orange, 2001, and Dr. Strangelove for me.  Really can't decide.
Scapler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 14:19
2001 is a MASTERPIECE!!!!
Bassists are deadly
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 16:42
Hello? Uh, hello? Hello, Dmitri? Listen, I can't hear too well, do you suppose you could turn the music down just a little? Oh, that's much better. Yes. Fine, I can hear you now, Dmitri. Clear and plain and coming through fine. I'm coming through fine too, eh? Good, then. Well then, as you say we're both coming through fine. Good. Well, it's good that you're fine, and - and I'm fine. I agree with you. It's great to be fine. (Laughs)

Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the bomb. The BOMB, Dmitri. The hydrogen bomb. Well now, what happened is, uh, one of our base commanders, he had a sort of, well, he went a little funny in the head. You know. Just a little...funny. And uh, he went and did a silly thing.

Well, I'll tell you what he did, he ordered his planes...to attack your country.

Well, let me finish, Dmitri. Let me finish, Dmitri.

Well, listen, how do you think I feel about it? Can you imagine how I feel about it, Dmitri? Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?

Of course I like to speak to you. Of course I like to say hello. Not now, but any time, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened.

It's a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call. Listen, if it wasn't friendly,...you probably wouldn't have even got it. They will not reach their targets for at least another hour.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 23:02
Full Metal Jacket is good.... Dr. Strangelove's parody is so incredible masterful, the actual character dr. strangelove is a piece of genius... Orange Clockwork is such a masterpiece, it almost defies comparison, BUT....

2001 is one of the best movies EVER. It TRANSCENDS movies, cinema art... is one of highest points in creative thinking... it was made in the 60's, and it had a lot of cinematographic effects and discoveries just unheard off... The theme it deals with is just so deep, so impossiblle to actually deal with it in two hours...the way he fuses the appearance of the weapon (the true moment man become man and stop being an ape) with the image of the spaceship... WITH JOHANN's STRAUSS BLAUE DONAU! with that movie Kubrick said: "all the rest are good, I'm KUBRICK".
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 23:16
I'm a huge fan of Mr. Kubrick... I really love most of their movies (I don't like much EWS and Lolita) and that's why is so difficult for me to vote... Anyway... I think Clockwork Orange...
... E N E L B U N K E R...
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 05:50
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Hello? Uh, hello? Hello, Dmitri? Listen, I can't hear too well, do you suppose you could turn the music down just a little? Oh, that's much better. Yes. Fine, I can hear you now, Dmitri. Clear and plain and coming through fine. I'm coming through fine too, eh? Good, then. Well then, as you say we're both coming through fine. Good. Well, it's good that you're fine, and - and I'm fine. I agree with you. It's great to be fine. (Laughs)

Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the bomb. The BOMB, Dmitri. The hydrogen bomb. Well now, what happened is, uh, one of our base commanders, he had a sort of, well, he went a little funny in the head. You know. Just a little...funny. And uh, he went and did a silly thing.

Well, I'll tell you what he did, he ordered his planes...to attack your country.

Well, let me finish, Dmitri. Let me finish, Dmitri.

Well, listen, how do you think I feel about it? Can you imagine how I feel about it, Dmitri? Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?

Of course I like to speak to you. Of course I like to say hello. Not now, but any time, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened.

It's a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call. Listen, if it wasn't friendly,...you probably wouldn't have even got it. They will not reach their targets for at least another hour.

Clap
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 06:07
He was an absolute marvel. The only film I didn't like was 'Eyes Wide Shut'. And Sellars is just as good in 'Lolita' as 'Strangelove', just a more subdued perfomance. Finest moment has to be 2001 but 'Paths of Glory' also a stunner.

Edited by Atavachron - December 23 2006 at 06:09
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 17:22
The Shining
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 17:51
Originally posted by Spacemac Spacemac wrote:

The Shining
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 20:32
Mine is Clockwork Orange!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Time-Machinist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 20:35
A Clockwork Orange is my favourite. Anyway, I love almost all his stuff...
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 21:47
Extreamly hard to choose. Spartacus, 2001: A space Odyssey, Clockwork Orange and The Shining are all amoung my favorite movies.
ebag7125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 00:07
2001 is the best movie/book.       ever.   

too bad the sequels aren't good.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 19:07
2001: A space Odyssey is, along with Mulholland drive and Almoust famous, my favorite fil ever, so I had to go with that one!!!

But Clockwork orange is so cool too, saw it yesteray againClapClapClapClapClapClap

"You want me to play what, Robert?"
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 19:08
Originally posted by ebag7125 ebag7125 wrote:

2001 is the best movie/book.       ever.   

too bad the sequels aren't good.

Well, Kubrik did not make the sequel!Wink...I mean, I dont remeber his name in the credits...Confused
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>