FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich bass to start with?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which bass to start with?
    Posted: October 31 2007 at 12:11
I love Music Man basses. Unfortunately, they're ridiculously overpriced.
SimD View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 22:39
Oh yeah, of course haha. They do make amazing high end basses. I actually remember playing one a while back, can't remember the mark. Almost fell in love, until I played the music man beside it.. it's my new goal to get a MM... Just thinking about it gets me all warm and fuzzy inside Big%20smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 18:52
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Well, well - never thought it would take me so long to finally get a new bass....

After considering Fender's (over my budget), Squier (despite the 'disrecommendations' the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass is a good toy), Yamaha (sounds great, but looks like a cheap metallic painted Japanese car) and some more stuff - I got myself a brand new Ibanez SRX-350 today. It's got two massive elements, which make it a bit of a metal bass, but with a bit of twiddling on the knobs I can get a decent blues or jazz-rock sound as well. So far (4 hours) I like it a lot. Thanks again for all the advice inside and outside of this thread.

Clap  Congrats....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 18:50
Interesting remark on Yamaha, SimD - I tried an RBX-274 and 275 before deciding on the Ibanez. I'd refrain from calling Ibanez in general a solid beginner bass - they have some pretty serious material in the higher price ranges.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
SimD View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 18:10
As mentioned, Ibanez is a solid beginner bass. Although, expect to buy a new one in a few years (but that's true with a lot of basses, seeing how we all get bored to soon)..

Though, if you have the chance to check out Yamaha's I strongly recommend. I'm currently using a 6 string RBX-JM2 (yes the Myung version). Great feel, good action and I love the extra range. Been using it for almost 2 years, great bass. Yamaha is quite the brand.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 17:06
It is. And we had great fun with it tonight - doing some blues solo improvisations with two guitars and a bass taking turns. Finally I have a match for those humbucker guitar freaks Big%20smile
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 16:24
Is it the one in your sig? I like those. Smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 11:29
Well, well - never thought it would take me so long to finally get a new bass....

After considering Fender's (over my budget), Squier (despite the 'disrecommendations' the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass is a good toy), Yamaha (sounds great, but looks like a cheap metallic painted Japanese car) and some more stuff - I got myself a brand new Ibanez SRX-350 today. It's got two massive elements, which make it a bit of a metal bass, but with a bit of twiddling on the knobs I can get a decent blues or jazz-rock sound as well. So far (4 hours) I like it a lot. Thanks again for all the advice inside and outside of this thread.
ISKC Rock Radio
S Lang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2007 at 04:36
Well, I couldn't , or wouldn't go past a Fender Precision Jazz Bass. It suits the style of music, be that King Crimson with John Wetton, or jazz-Rock in general that I prefer.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 02:59
Well - had a great chat yesterday. Reserved half an hour and got an hour and a half. We played some Gary Moore, Rush and Gong on the studio stereo and fiddled around with a 5-string.
As for bass guitar selection: the guy rents out Silvertone guitars and basses for starters, and uses Ibanez and Blade himself. His approach: start with something simple (i.e. the Silvertone), play around and after a while find something that really fits you and your music.
Thanks for all your input guys - but the amount of options provided makes me follow that final advice.

Guess he'll be visiting PA shortly - he wants to learn more about Gong!

Edited by Angelo - January 24 2007 at 03:00
ISKC Rock Radio
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 09:02

Thnx. Approve

No problem! I've been running around in music stores testing basses for quite a while, it's good to be able to put the knowledge I've acquired to use! Smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 08:52
Thnx. Approve
ISKC Rock Radio
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 08:00

Is there any significant quality difference between say 70's/80's roadstar and 90's editions?

If anything, the older ones are better. Ibanez started making the cheaper basses in Korea during the late 80's/early 90's. The quality drop isn't huge, but the older Japan-made instruments are still a bit better. Japanese built Ibanezer are worth more too, which is good to know if you'd ever want to sell the bass.

Edited by Philéas - January 21 2007 at 08:00
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 06:19
Hey folks - the meeting with my teacher-to-be is next tuesday. Updates on bass selection after that.
As for the 83 roadstar: it had a disconnected bridge element, and was sold already. The guy forgot to remove the add.
I came across a few other ones already, I'm definitely getting interested in these things. Is there any significant quality difference between say 70's/80's roadstar and 90's editions?
ISKC Rock Radio
raggedydavey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 21:21
My first was a Peavey Millenium. Not a bad bass at all. I got the active model, which was a pain in the butt at times, but it adds a little extra oomph. The action was great when I bought it, and have only had to have it set once (after a couple people used it without my supervision).
I just put some new rotosounds on it today, and it sounds great.
I think the price for it is somewhere near or below $500 US.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 10:46
^I have some experience with Schecter basses, and they're pretty good value. If I remember correctly they're in the same price range as mid-priced Ibanezes, and of similair quality. I'd say it's a good choice!
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 10:18
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

I am thinking about buying a Schecter next. Five string bass. What do you think of this brand? (I think they are kinda expensive)

Sorry Ben, my knowledge on brand quality is extremely limited I'm afraid.

Well I played one awhile ago. It seemed to be pretty good quality.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 10:14

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Interesting. What's the issue with the G-series Ibanez? I now have two owners, and one person telling me to avoid them???

No one told you to avoid them. We told you to avoid Squires and Epiphones since those basses are low quality.
You didn't - Phileas did: "
Stay away from Squiers and Epiphones, or any no-name brand Fender copy."

Ibanez isn't a Fender copy. I think he was talking about cheap rip offs of Fender, like a Yamaha.
He said avoid an Ibanez with a G in its name.If your looking for a six string bass then I suggest a Brice, there rather good for the money and a ood way to start.

I am thinking about buying a Schecter next. Five string bass. What do you think of this brand? (I think they are kinda expensive)

Sorry Ben, my knoledge on brand quality is extremely limited I'm afraid.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 12:58

Small update: I just came across an Ibanez Roadster 1983 build. No idea if it is a Roadster II, but I'm definitely checking it out.

Get it. Thumbs Up
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 19:13
Small update: I just came across an Ibanez Roadster 1983 build. No idea if it is a Roadster II, but I'm definitely checking it out.
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>