FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Decemberists - need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Decemberists - need advice
    Posted: December 23 2006 at 14:08
I recently bought The Crane Wife by The Decemberists, because several people on the archives kept mentioning it as one of the best non-prog albums of 2006.

It's amazing. Highly recommended for those who have yet to hear it.

My question is this: the band released three albums before The Crane Wife. How do they compare to that masterpiece? Should I get all three? Is there only one or two I should get? Or maybe, should I just avoid them completely?

(The previous three albums are called Castaways and Cutouts, Her Majesty, and Picaresque)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

ResidentAlien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 14:24
Wow, I just sampled a song from their latest album on their Myspace... sounds good, I'm impressed.

Thanks for that recommendation.  Sorry I can't answer your question, though.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 14:49
They get more progressive with every album it seems. The first two are pretty much folky-indie rock, and picareque has a few proggy moments, but they are all still unique and inventive. The first thing you should check out, however, is the single "The Tain." It is one 18-minute suite, and a darn good one. I love each of their releases the same really, and I recommend you check them out. If you're not too big on indie rock, you may want to sample some of the tracks before you buy them. I don't know what sites feature full-length mp3s of theirs, but someone's got to have them.
ResidentAlien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 14:52
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

They get more progressive with every album it seems. The first two are pretty much folky-indie rock, and picareque has a few proggy moments, but they are all still unique and inventive. The first thing you should check out, however, is the single "The Tain." It is one 18-minute suite, and a darn good one. I love each of their releases the same really, and I recommend you check them out. If you're not too big on indie rock, you may want to sample some of the tracks before you buy them. I don't know what sites feature full-length mp3s of theirs, but someone's got to have them.

http://www.myspace.com/thedecemberists
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 14:56
Originally posted by enteredwinter enteredwinter wrote:

I recently bought The Crane Wife by The Decemberists, because several people on the archives kept mentioning it as one of the best non-prog albums of 2006.It's amazing. Highly recommended for those who have yet to hear it.My question is this: the band released three albums before The Crane Wife. How do they compare to that masterpiece? Should I get all three? Is there only one or two I should get? Or maybe, should I just avoid them completely?(The previous three albums are called Castaways and Cutouts, Her Majesty, and Picaresque)Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

There's a recent Decemberists thread here you might want to check out that has some recommendations.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
enteredwinter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 16:27
Thanks for mentioning the other thread, Clem, that helped, and thanks to everyone for your recommendations.

I'm definitely going to get The Tain, and I'll probably end up getting the other 3 LP's.

I'm still curious to hear any further opinions, though, particularly those differentiating the non-crane-wife albums (i.e. "picaresque is the best, get it first" or something like that).
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2006 at 00:40
Originally posted by enteredwinter enteredwinter wrote:

Thanks for mentioning the other thread, Clem, that helped, and thanks to everyone for your recommendations.

I'm definitely going to get The Tain, and I'll probably end up getting the other 3 LP's.

I'm still curious to hear any further opinions, though, particularly those differentiating the non-crane-wife albums (i.e. "picaresque is the best, get it first" or something like that).

Wink

seriously, I haven't heard their other stuff, but Picaresque is really goodBig smile

CalamityDaemon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2006 at 12:12

Hi there,

I'm a long-time Decemberists fan here. I first heard their song "The Tain" on a college station on the radio around here--got interested, and wound up being a huge fan (I have all their albums).

Glad to see that you're not afraid to post about them =)

I'll try and give a little rundown on what I believe the albums have to offer, though by no means take them to be definitive--I love it when my friends have different opinions on my favorite music:

Castaways and Cutouts : Released in 2002 and then re-released in 2003 by Kill Rock Stars, C&C is The Decemberists' first album and a fine example of their quirky lyrics and folky sound. As the title implies, the album seems to be a compilation of short scenes from various people's lives. It moves from the first track Leslie Anne Levine with its haunting lyrics and lazily bright guitar, to a more upbeat and rocking tempo of July, July!. C&C has a broad range of musical qualities, incorporating lullibies (A Cautionary Song), allusions (Odalisque, Grace Cathedral Hill), and laments of the all-around disallusioned souls that litter the album's track listing. An excellent album with some odd recording issues (On the song July, July!the vocals seem to be much closer to the microphone than the rest of the band) but a solid choice none the less.

Her Majesty : Released by Kill Rock Stars in 2003, Her Majesty is The Decemberists second full-length album. Much like The Decemberists' first album, Her Majesty presents a broad range of the band's progressive folk-rock style ranging from upbeat to languid and abyssmal. Songs like The Gymnast, High Above the Ground and The Chimbly Sweep are excellent examples of Colin Meloy's range of vocal qualities. His expressiveness, coupled with the band's distinctive qualities of sound and tone, allow for a vivid view of the narrarator's attitude. This is my least favorite album, but that does not mean I do not like it. I feel that this album was less impacting as the first because it is more of the same (which is good) and fails to stray from the band's comfort zone. It is definately a good album, but Castaways would trump this selection for me.

Picaresque : Released by Kill Rock Stars in 2005, Picaresque is perhaps my favorite Decemberists album. The guitarcraft is stunning, and coupled with the hypnotizing keyboards and rhythm techniques, the band is simply flawless. Songs like Eli The Barrow Boy and We Both Go Down Together display the simplistic genious of The Decemberists' like never seen before in previous albums. This album also has possibly my favorite Decemberists song, The Mariner's Revenge Song which tells the tale of a poor soul who's mother was played by an old sea dog. It goes on to tell of his subsequent revenge through the method of stupendous accordion and building tempo. Many songs on this album have become The Decemberists' staple concert lineup (The Mariner's Revenge Song, 16 Military Wives, The Infanta). Definately my favorite album, and I highly recommend it.

The Crane Wife : Released earlier this year under a new label, Capitol Records, this album was #35 on USA Billboard 200 charts. Chris Walla from Death Cab for Cutie helped produce it and for this reason I feel that the album has recieved more notoriety than before (that and the move from Kill Rock Stars to Capitol Records). I feel that this album is definately a declaration of the band's progressive tendencies. Unfortunately, I feel that many people see this album as an Indie-Rock production rather than Progressive because of its enjoyability and ease of listening. The most progressive track on this album is The Island with three parts (Come and See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel the Drowning) and each split by tempo and dramatic keyboard and guitar melodies. This has quickly become my second favorite Decemberists album with tracks like O Valencia! and The Perfect Crime being some of the furthest reaches in the Decemberists' multifarious style.

There have also been several singles and EP's released, those being: 5 Songs, The Tain, Billy Liar, 16 Military Wives, Picaresqueities (With previously unreleased Picaresque songs), and Connect Sets (Live versions of The Crane Wife songs). All of these are worth listening to, if you can get your hands on them.

So, being a huge Decemberists fan, I hope you find as much enjoyment out of the band as I have and will spread the word to support the BAND!

Edit: On a related note, The Decemberists have been known to cover several songs (Some progressive, some otherwise) during their concerts. You can see some of these on YouTube such as this one:

Decemberists doing Mr. Blue Sky by ELO

Edited by CalamityDaemon - December 25 2006 at 18:11
I wake to Sleep and I take my Waking slow,
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear,
I learn by going where I have to go.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2006 at 15:29
Wow, thanks for such an in-depth analysis. Now I have a much better sense of what to expect as I delve into this band further.

I keep listening to the Crane Wife over and over again, it's so good.

And now I know I need to get Picaresque and The Tain, soon.

I'll eventually get the other 2 LP's at some point, and maybe even the other singles/EP's too.

I'm glad I discovered this band, it's one of the best discoveries I've made this year (and I've made a lot!!!)
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2006 at 14:34
I'm about to receive Picturesque from a friend today, so I'll tell you all how it is! The Crane Wife is definitely one of the Top Five of the year. The thing is, people say that it's their favorite non-prog album of the year, but it was the proggiest album I bought all year (save a couple of live albums from Fish & Marillion)! I think that The Decemberists could be considered prog easily, I mean... their music progresses! Is that not what progressive music is?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2006 at 15:53
Originally posted by Freak Freak wrote:

I think that The Decemberists could be considered prog easily, I mean... their music progresses! Is that not what progressive music is?

I agree. However, the phrase "indie pop" could easily be used to describe the sound of the band, so they'd probably never be accepted here. If added, there'd be even more uproar than the recent Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin controversies. It seems to me that there's some progressive bands within the realm of pop rock that will never be added here because of a bias against that type of sound.

I think it's similar to Coheed & Cambria. Their music is progressive in many ways, but they have an "emo" sound to them, and (I think) largely because of that, it seems they'll never make it onto this site.

Honestly, I'm not necessarily implying that the site should add those bands, I just think they present an interesting dilemma. Perhaps a "Prog-Pop" category should be added? Wink
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 13:11
Originally posted by Freak Freak wrote:

I'm about to receive Picaresque from a friend today, so I'll tell you all how it is! The Crane Wife is definitely one of the Top Five of the year. The thing is, people say that it's their favorite non-prog album of the year, but it was the proggiest album I bought all year (save a couple of live albums from Fish & Marillion)! I think that The Decemberists could be considered prog easily, I mean... their music progresses! Is that not what progressive music is?

WinkTongue nothing personal, I'm just nitpicky

Edited by heyitsthatguy - December 27 2006 at 13:12

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 23:53
Picaresque was my intro to the band. The Crane Wife is more progressive Picaresque is just as quality. The Engine Driver is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded imo. As for the others, Her Majesty is being shipped (hopefully) as I type. In conclusion, you can't go wrong with Picaresque

And yes I think they should be included, related at least
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Post Reply Post Reply