Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson, Lake and Palmer Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 22:57
i am not quiet fan of elp but i like their music.i mostly enjoyed in tarkus also brain salad surgery  like a lot
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 11:20

Its also the title of a Roxy Music song from Country Life. It was a single as well.
[/QUOTE]

Is there a relation between the Roxy and the ELP?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 11:29
Originally posted by ken4musiq ken4musiq wrote:

Its also the title of a Roxy Music song from Country Life. It was a single as well.

Is there a relation between the Roxy and the ELP?
[/QUOTE]

Yes.

They both have the same title.Embarrassed
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 14:08
Is that a 'no,' because the ELP and U2 have a similar melody line for the refrain. Now the U2 to Roxy connection would just make so mush more sense.Confused
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 14:28
Originally posted by ken4musiq ken4musiq wrote:

Is that a 'no,' because the ELP and U2 have a similar melody line for the refrain. Now the U2 to Roxy connection would just make so mush more sense.Confused

When I think about it.....which I am doing....I see what you mean, there is a similarity.
Drummerboy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 05:02
Richard, I think you say it very, very well. And yet, and yet......Its like they couldn't be content just to be such excellent musicians. At their best, nobody ever came close, but the in-your-face pomposity and pretension somehow detracted. The equal time requirement for soloing, with quite different results (I'm a drummer myself and drum solos bore me.....) And Keith feeling he needs to overcome his classical demeanor and prove he is also a bad-boy rocker, still masterbating with that electronic swizzle stick after 30+ years is a little undignified.

Still, my life is much richer for having their music as one of the soundtracks to it......
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 07:08
Hey great, another ELP thread.

Fantastic band. I love the first album, the Tarkus Suite and Brain Salad Surgery in particular. One of the best bands ever. Clap
cookieacquired View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 10:58
I appreciate them

so HA!!!

(I like them too)

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 18:15
I only have their greatest hits and one of their live albums, but I know enough to say that they are amazing!!! Emrson is a GOD!!!Thumbs%20Up
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 22:35
yes, Keith seems to be underappreciated by many people.
Carl was a pretty good snare drummer as well, and i find Greg's voice one of the best.

Everything ELP put out until Works (which was a mixed bag) was pure gold!
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 00:52
I've got some footage of Emerson with waterballoons in his shirt during a performance (fake boobs) - he was actually kind of hot - yeah, thats weird, but this is an appreciation thread.

I liked them til Lake started getting fat (father christmas era and on), then their songwriting just went out with Lake's old clothes.

Their music is pretty simply arranged actually, which is pretty nice; it really cuts the crap after listening to some Genesis - which is also simple but more convoluted rather than complex I would say.

Emerson = Level 89 Keyboard Wizard - D&D 3rd Edition rules
Palmer = 9th Dan in Drum-fu - he's still awesome with the Carl Palmer Band (It's like ELP with a guitar virtuoso covering the keyboards - yes it is awesome - and no singing) - I saw them for 25 bucks and got to talk to him for 5-10 minutes after the concert.
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
purplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 21:49
ELP is a great band...one of the 'big 4' for me (yes, king crimson, genesis, elp). I say their debut album is the best, but tarkus is great as well! And of course, there is the over the top greatness of the karnevil 9 movements!
for those about to prog, we salute you.
Iommi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 19:13
I LOVE ELP, AND EITHER ANY ONE LIKE THEM OR NOT, EVERY BODY HAVE TO RESPECT THEM, THEY INFLUENCED LOTS OF BANDS.

LONG LIVE TO ELP.

CURIOUS FACT: EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER ALMOST MAKE A PROJECT WITH JIMI HENDRIX, HELP BAND, SADLY HENDRIX DIED. THATS WHAT I HEAR FROM A ROCK HITORIATOR FROM MY COUNTRY I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE, IT WOULD BE INTERESTING
LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 19:24
^ I have also read this rumor... to the extent that it was an amazing time in music and many musicians were playing together and considering projects, it could be true. Though with the direction their careers were going, it seems unlikely.
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 20:22

Where is the three fates these days does she still post on here? ELP were a tremendously talented band and their eponymous 1st album is one of my favourites.Take a Pebble and Knife Edge along with Lucky Man remain to this day outstanding pieces of music.
keith_emerson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 20:28
Can I apply for the fanboy database?

Pd: I really enjoy the piano concerto, am I sick? LOL
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 04:04
Originally posted by Iommi Iommi wrote:

I LOVE ELP, AND EITHER ANY ONE LIKE THEM OR NOT, EVERY BODY HAVE TO RESPECT THEM, THEY INFLUENCED LOTS OF BANDS.

LONG LIVE TO ELP.

CURIOUS FACT: EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER ALMOST MAKE A PROJECT WITH JIMI HENDRIX, HELP BAND, SADLY HENDRIX DIED. THATS WHAT I HEAR FROM A ROCK HITORIATOR FROM MY COUNTRY I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE, IT WOULD BE INTERESTING

In Hendrix biography it was no serious will on either side to form  a band together.

They were all jaming together (members of Beatles, Rolling stones, Steve Winwood, Morrison, Emerson, and lot of other musitians) for their own pleasure. SadlyCry

One Hendrix friend sad that the jam with Miles Davis was so good that it made him cry.

Edited by pero - June 20 2007 at 04:04
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 05:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I have also read this rumor... to the extent that it was an amazing time in music and many musicians were playing together and considering projects, it could be true. Though with the direction their careers were going, it seems unlikely.

from all I've heard David it was more than a rumour.. though of course who knows if it would have come to pass.  Your last sentence hits the nail on the head as to why it can't be dismissed.  It was well known that Hendrix was tired of being the 'focus' and all the bullsh*t idol-worship.  He wanted to work within the confines a group... most likely of like mind minded virtuosos.  Use one word to describe Hendrix and what could it be... experimental.  I think it could have happened... though I'm sure the egos involved might have torn it apart at some point (hint...Emo's hahhaha)  but while it lasted...wow.

edit - due to his friendship with Steve Winwood he considered joining Traffic as well.  To any who have not heard his sessions with Traffic....wow.

Edited by micky - June 20 2007 at 05:46
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 06:31
Winwood was involved in Electric ladyland, best Hendrix album
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 07:34
Originally posted by pero pero wrote:

Winwood was involved in Electric ladyland, best Hendrix album

hell yeah... along with the mighty Jack Casady.  3/4 of the ultimate dream group.  Put Keith Moon on drums.. and that would .... an aural orgasm of the highest magnitude.  Let Steve keep the track moving with the B3 and let the 3 of them go apesh*t hahhaha.

If you haven't heard it Pero... listen to a fav of mine and if I remember right..Erik's as well.... Hendrix's 'Live at Winterland'. Killing Floor with Hendrix and Jack Casady guesting....simply incredible.

by the way.... guess how taught Winwood how to play guitar?... you guessed it, Hendrix.  Saw Winwood in an interview on VH1 years ago, talk about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789