Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCarl Palmer as a drummer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 03:04
^^^ hmm... do you actually hava a counter argument to that, or are you just brushing small talk?

I mean, if you're so allmighy all knowingly, maybe you care to enlighten us on some of the mistakes Ivan has made? It says you have 225 posts. Are they all like that - all insults and no arguments, or did you make them all in the fun section? Really now, do you actually have any SUBSTANCE to put in your post? Other than logical fallacies I see nothing worthy, but since you seem to know your drumming you clearly shoulb be able to provide with something worthwile.

So please enlighten us, non-drummers, on what the joke was all about, I would honestly be very interested in some valid points, no matter whom they come against, Ivan, or any other Moderator/Collaborator/Admin/Founder, as long as they have some content and not just childish attacks.

Edited by Asphalt - December 27 2006 at 03:05
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 03:06
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Well first of all...Bruford is like the best think behind the kitWink

I remeber seeing the Isle of Whight perfomance of them and Palmer had a normal kit and he plyed excellent with it... so the monstruo kit must have been cause he must have felt like he didnt get much attention ...well, I kinda understand that

Agreed on Bruford - simply awesome on any size drumset!  I have seen 'Rock and Roll Your Eyes,' which is footage of ELP during their first album/Pics at an Exhibition timeframe (perhaps the same time as Isle of Whight?)  Palmer does quite well on the five-piece set of one hanging tom and two floor toms, with about 10 or 12 cymbals (and gong) to augment.  His long-hair hanging down over his eyes made his playing eerie, as it was apparent the man could play all cadences, etc., with his eyes closed, if he needed to.  I saw him play with Asia in 1983 and (like our thread-leader) I too thought he was 'trying too hard.'  He should have just kept to the smaller set with ample cymbals to show off his skillful chops.
Asphalt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 04:26
You really enjoy showing off, don't you? Smile And we haven't even found out who you are or what you do, except for the fact that music isn't just your "HOBBY" [ohhhhh.... spooky].

Also, you still have failed to provide with a valid line of argumentation [if we appall you so much, how come you're still on this site? Please, grace us with a response, a truly valid one. After all, this is what forums are supposed to do: enhance communication between those who know better and those who wish to know.] Let me remind you, although I'm sure you knew, rhetorical questions do not provide with reasoning on themselves.

And last but not least, yes this IS a prog music site for fans, not musicians alone [it's progarchives, not progarchivesmadebymusicgodsfortheunknowingunworthymusicfans], so it's only natural that some opinions may be partially unsubstantiated, but showing this kind of attitude helps no one.

However, I see that this discussion has already taken too long and provided nothing, so unless my humble request for reasoning and substance will be graced, I will refrain from any more replies on this issue.

eitandaniel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 05:08
    it has probably been pointed by others but remember that constructive feedback especially if owned and stated as opinion as opposed to the truth (which is of course a subjective and changable commodity) might have a possiblity to get acorss and been taken by your audiance,

what is it that your are actually trying to say- that you're frustrated? that you strongly disagree? if so, that's great, but why not do that?

the world is already a most inhospitable and intolerable place, do we really want to bring the same insensitivity and rudeness to our midst?

remember what defines prog in the first place, how would it be to stick and promote the spirit of the unknown, asking questions rather than thinking we know it all. i don't know you but for the comments you put out there, you might want to consider closely what you put down as your written masterpieces, (yes that was a subtle sniping i agree)

just some ideas to ponder upon,

eitan
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 05:19
Originally posted by Asphalt Asphalt wrote:

And we haven't even found out who you are or what you do, except for the fact that music isn't just your "HOBBY" [ohhhhh.... spooky].

According to his profile he's a mix engineer/record producer aged 96.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 05:25
Originally posted by SlipperFink SlipperFink wrote:

It says you have 225 posts. Are they all like that - all insults and no arguments, or did you make them all in the fun section?

These were quite polite ...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 05:59
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

A drummer develops his style according ro the environment in which he works, Carl palmer is a classical Power Trio drummer:

1. Fast, strong and loud (Power trios need loud drummer).
  2. Great bass drum work
  3. Not as good with the snares
  4. His use of the cymbals is far from perfect
  5. Not very good keeping times
  6. Spectacular and a great sense of showmanship

For example the Jazz drummers are normally much better with the cymbals and snares but weaker with the bass drum, look at Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel had to add extra bass drum in their first albums and live acts (Look at any Gabriel era photo and you'll see a bass drum before Peter Gabriel).

Still Palmer is a top drummer compared with anybody.

Iván  

Sorry to sound as if I'm trying to contradict everything you say ,but I believe that points 2 and 3 are the wrong way round.Carl was and still is an amzing player on the snare.That was really his forte.I'm quite surprised you think otherwise.His bass drumming work on the other hand is unremarkable to my ears.The only track that ELP recorded that sounds good from a bass drumming point of view is Stones Of Years.Its actually hard for me to think of others.By all means name them if you can!
I do agree with all the other points!

As for prog drummers generally ,the ones I rate at the top are:
Carl (most explosive)
Neil Peart (probably the best all round prog drummer)
Bill Bruford (rock solid but not quite as good as Peart or Palmer IMO)
Jon Hiseman (most underrated)
Phil Collins (I really like his drumming!)
Danny Carey (best of the modern drummers although Zoltan Csorz is another underrated drummer IMO)

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 06:19
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

A drummer develops his style according ro the environment in which he works, Carl palmer is a classical Power Trio drummer:

1. Fast, strong and loud (Power trios need loud drummer).
  2. Great bass drum work
  3. Not as good with the snares
  4. His use of the cymbals is far from perfect
  5. Not very good keeping times
  6. Spectacular and a great sense of showmanship

For example the Jazz drummers are normally much better with the cymbals and snares but weaker with the bass drum, look at Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel had to add extra bass drum in their first albums and live acts (Look at any Gabriel era photo and you'll see a bass drum before Peter Gabriel).

Still Palmer is a top drummer compared with anybody.

Iván  

Sorry to sound as if I'm trying to contradict everything you say ,but I believe that points 2 and 3 are the wrong way round.Carl was and still is an amzing player on the snare.That was really his forte.I'm quite surprised you think otherwise.His bass drumming work on the other hand is unremarkable to my ears.The only track that ELP recorded that sounds good from a bass drumming point of view is Stones Of Years.Its actually hard for me to think of others.By all means name them if you can!
I do agree with all the other points!

I am fully in  agreemwnt Richard, but I'll add That about point 4, I love his cymbal work si I don't agree with Ivan nad Point 5!!! I hear no evidence of either.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 06:26
Slipperfink, I have saved your post to my PC, I think its excellent on many of your points regarding Palmer and Collins. Clap
manticor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 06:31
Best One!
mantikora
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 06:32
"Modesty is not only an ornament, but also a guard to virtue. "

Edited by Bob Greece - December 27 2006 at 06:46
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 06:36
The complexity of Emerson's work, and the short time they'd been together before recording and gigging, assured that they all flubbed a beat now and then, even Keith. They had to keep up with their own sprawling music and it occasionally overtook them. Personally, I like hearing the struggle and it reminds me just how advanced they really were at that moment in rock.
Asphalt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 06:40

I guess the only real question is....

Is ANYBODY gonna school you pot-smoking rocket scientists here?

OR...

Can't we just agree that Ivan said some IMMENSELY SILLY THINGS and let him go with a simple slap on the hand?

Guess not.

Guess were gonna hafta have my post deleted to 'protect the ignorant'.

Marvelous.

Good thing I wasted the better part of an hour banging it out.

SM.

Was it that hard to actually support your opinions with arguments? Or are you such a god that you shouldn't even open your mouth and we should believe you on the spot? I thank you for your on-topic response about drumming on Carl Palmer and Phil Collins. It was rather insightful. I am not in any way thankful for the overall egocentrism, paranoia and megalomaniac attitude [not really wetting myself for any particular band, and my stomach is doing rather well, thank you very much].

Yes, I am impressed at the musical record and background you mentioned. No, that does not make you superior on all levels, and your posts clearly showed that. And since you like quotes so much, I kindly direct you to one from a late 90's movie [American Beauty]: "What a sad old man you are!"

Enough with the off-topics. I rest my case here.
hazard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 07:32
Palmer is greate drummer. When i heard at first Brian Salad Surgery, i thought that he's hard profesional drummer 
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...

Father Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 09:00
Palmer Not very good keeping times????

It's just nonesense!.
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 10:13

Do I really gotta pound Ivan the Terrible's tiny white ass in public about how Phil had one the best kick drum feet in all of prog in his early years? About how a nitwit like Ivan should revisit the outro of "Return of the Giant Hogweed" off Genesis Live to scope out a most furious ostinato triplet pattern hammered out with the greatest of ease reminiscent of... uhm.. I dunno... TONY WILLIAMS?

The whole post made you look pretty dumb but what really proved you're an idiot and caused you to lose all credibility was comparing Phil Collins to Tony Williams.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 11:01
Originally posted by akiko akiko wrote:

Also Alex Van Halen had three or four bass drums at one time.  And they are both great drummers too. 

Alex van Halen is not a great drummer. He has about three times as many drums as he uses... Dead And with the ones he actually use, he doesn't do anything out of the ordinary.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 11:13

When you compare Carl to people like Bruford, Collins, Katche', Portnoy and Harrison (of PT) he's pretty average at best.  He was a perfect fit for Emerson and Lake but I never thought his timing was the best and he would never have worked well in a band like Yes or Genesis.

"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 11:21

Dude. Peter had a kick drum onstage because Phil didn't have a good left foot?

It's easy to criticize what someboidy says changing the words, I never mentioned a bad left foot or something as stupid as that.

BTW: The Pater Gabriel bass drum was not only on stage:

Nursery Cryme

(Studio Album, 1971)
- Tony Banks / organ, mellotron, piano, electric piano, 12 string guitar, voices
- Phil Collins / drums, voices, percussion, lead vocals(2)
- Peter Gabriel / lead voice, flute, tambourine, bass drum
- Steve Hackett / electric and 12 string guitar
- Mike Rutherford / bass guitar, bass pedals, acoustic and 12 string guitar, backing vocals

I believe his bass drum in early Genesis albums was weaker, and I stand on this.

BTW: I'm not a moderator.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 27 2006 at 18:47

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 11:52

Oh.. we gotta do the 'qualify yer opinion' thing AGAIN here on ProgWeenieRoastSymposium? 

[snipped for length] 

SM.
Hahaha! It's incredibly obvious you're almost certainly lying about yourself (not that it cahnges your arguments, which I'm ignoring simply because I don't know or care very much about Palmer or Collins). It was obvious from the moment you mentioned Fripp and your multi-million dollar recording studio. For another thing, famous rich people don't waste their time with internet forums, especially ones they hate as much as you hate this one. Although I guess maybe you can only bully people on the internet.

But I'm curious. What album(s) are you supposedly mixing? You probably won't answer because then it would expose you as simply being an arrogant asshole (rather than being a rich, famous, talented, arrogant asshole), but I feel obligated to ask.

Edited by Ghandi 2 - December 27 2006 at 11:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>