Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ween
    Posted: December 26 2006 at 23:29
Someome recently made a post claiming The Mollusk was "the best prog album of the 90's". While I do agree that this is a ridiculous statement, it got me thinking about the prog influence that is very apparent in Ween's music.

Their lyrics are heavily inspired by fantasy and folklore, most of which they've come up with on their own (many of their songs have recurring characters and themes, such as Boognish and "The Stallion").

Musically, they have a lot of prog influence as well. They use a lot of strange instruments not common in popular music, including mandolin, theremin, and many different kinds of synthesizers.

Their live performances include lots of jamming and improvisation. They play different setlists every night, and some of their songs are never played the same way twice. Every show ends with an "encore jam" that can go on for 20-30 minutes, and every one of these is completely different.

They also demonstrate incredible musicanship. Dean Ween is a master guitarist, who can shred as fast as anybody, but can also play with a discipline on the same level as Fripp.

They should at least be in prog related, but I think there's enough to justify them as Art Rock.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2006 at 23:44
Ween......I have only recently started listening to Ween and they are already becoming one of my favorite bands. Their albums never disappoint because of their shocking diversity, gonzo humor, amazing songwriting skills, and stellar musicianship. No two Ween albums sound the same, and every song on a Ween album can sound radically different from the one before it. Deaner and Geaner are a duo that cannot be beat - together they make a band that few others can live up to.

The Mollusk is Ween's tribute to prog rock, yet it is also a parody of the genre. When Ween do a parody of a certain genre or act, they are not insulting that genre or band, they are paying tribute to it in a certain twisted way. Ween are a twisted band. They're music is so well written and passionate that it can't be mere childish profaning of classic artist. Chocolate and Cheese has Ween focusing on funk and soul but they make sure every song sounds like a different approach. They play it like Prince, Funkadelic, James Brown, and Sly and the Family Stone but make sure it's %100 pure grade Ween.

To really understand what Ween are doing one must listen to their music. To a non-fan they can sound so childish and annoying that one gets a headache. What they don't understand is that that's exactly what the motherf**kers are trying to do. When they make a song annoying, they make it as annoying as possible. When they make a metal song they make sure it's as heavy and mindlessly hedonistic as possible. When they make it trippy, they insert as many goofy drug references and wacky sound effects in as possible. When it's prog they tackle, they make it as ridiculously pompous and bombastic as possible. When they sing about sex they don't sing about making love, they sing about f**king every girl you can see as hard as possible. Ween are the musical personification of Gonzo. They take everything to the extreme, they know no boundaries.

The Ween brothers have also created this image that is strangely appealing. Two brothers who met in high school tying class. They always talk about how much they smoke reefer and take shrooms and all that stuff that makes classic rock'n'roll lore. These are two 'brothers 'who clearly love each other and with that bond of brotherly love creates some amazing music. You can feel the friendship when you hear the music. Two kids who love getting high and making music, and that's what they still are. And they make no attempt to hide it.

Ween are the best!Big smile

Edited by The Wizard - December 26 2006 at 23:55
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 00:05
I think the moderators are just hesitant to include a band that wrote a song called "Poopship Destroyer".

What they don't realize is that "Poopship Destroyer" is Ween's greatest prog epic. Clap
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 00:08

HAHAHAHAHAHA

That's a great song. It's beautiful. LOL

To me Ween perfectly fit the category of art rock.
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 00:29
Gah, Wizard, I can't hate you anymore

That Paradox Hotel review was still out of line.   

But yes, I agree with the sexy original poster; Ween should definitely be added.

Edited by Man Overboard - December 27 2006 at 00:29
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 00:34
I'm listening to The Mollusk right now and the magic of the music is really taking me on a trip. This is stuff I think all proggers should hear.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 00:38
I just finished listening to the live version of "Poopship" from Paintin' The Town Brown.

Anyone denying Ween's progginess should listen to Disc 2 of that album.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 00:41
The jams are long, but they are constantly entertaining and not self indulgent or boring. It's amazing how they gloriously succeed at everything they do, from writing pop songs to being a jam band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 00:44
Poopship is a bit self indulgent... Embarrassed
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2006 at 11:33
I guess, but it never leaves you bored like a lot of jams.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 08:00
To the suppoerters of Ween addition:
The Art-Rock team is currently on vacation until after the holidays and I will make sure they are aware of this proposal.

Post Reply Post Reply