Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 14:11
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Go to http://www.musicbygps.com/ to sample.

Good stuff and they should have a place here. They're not prog metal, but maybe prog related.

E

I do not think they are prog related because they are the members from Asia and this is a whole lot proggier than Asia and Asia is in prog related. Also it is hard to put them in a sub genre because all the songs have varying opinions on what section to put them in, so I think they should be added to Art Rock a category.

Well, I did say 'maybe'. I could care less about sub genre's because I think they cloud people perceptions of a band. I hear a lot of similarities between older Genesis and IQ; but, considering IQ is classified as neo, they probably don't get the attention from the old schoolers as they deserve. Just a hunch on my part, though.

E

Edited by E-Dub - January 15 2007 at 14:12
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 14:21
Thanks for the heads up, guys!Thumbs Up I'm already listening to some samples. Hopefully the verdict will come soon...
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2007 at 17:09
I already wrote a longish review in anticipation. Hope you don't mind me being way too impatient. Sorry in advance.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2007 at 15:29
Well, now that I've heard GPS, I couldn't say it any clearer than this:

TIME TO ADD THEM!!!!    

Very good, and prog. Not THE proggiest ever, but prog, proggier than Asia and at times bordering on prog-metal, though at times they also sound a little grungy, prog-grunge (?!?!?!?) . So please, do justice a favor, eat your vegetables and add GPS to PA.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 16:47
So any verdict?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:53
Unfortunately for you, Ben, I have to tell you that the verdict from our team is negative. In our opinion, GPS have very few if any prog elements, and we're not even sure they're suitable for Prog-Related (which has to be approved by the Admin Team). Personally, I wasn't very much impressed: I found them to be an average AOR band, in spite of all those websites and magazines calling them prog.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 12:04
So ... would you say they're less prog than Asia? If not, then GPS should be included in prog-related if only for consistency ... Embarrassed
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 12:08
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

So ... would you say they're less prog than Asia? If not, then GPS should be included in prog-related if only for consistency ... Embarrassed

hardly....  there is the certain matter of Palmer, Wetton, Howe, and the buggles guy hahahhaha. It's prog RELATED.... hahhaaWink
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 12:17
Cry

*sigh*

They did seem so prog to me. It took a few listens to have that feeling though. Oh well.Cry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:01
Why does the band's myspace say they are progressive rock if they have little or no prog elements to their music? Are you saying these guys don't even qualify for the genre they were aiming for and think they are? Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:16
And another thing:

Why aren't they prog?

Did they (on the album) not go from metal like riffs (window to the soul) to folksy song (written on the wind) to incorporating mainstream sounds on some songs. Also what about the instrumental passages?

Also the keyboardist, Ryo Okumoto, is from Spock's Beard so they are "prog related" in the sense they have a band member who is from a progressive rock band.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:31

They ARE prog-related, proggier than Asia (a lot), but they won't be included. No problem, you and I and many people like the album and we don't need it to be here to like it. Only bad thing is no reviews, but there are other sites where you'll find reviews for GPS. We won't be ablt to write reviews for that one, who cares, there's a lot more albums to review.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:34
Fine I'll just be miserable over here and still listen to it as much as I do. *grumble grumble*

Oh well I guess I could find other albums/bands to review. Like Asia! Tongue
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:35
Ben, they are not prog because they are a straightforward AOR band... If other websites say they're prog, they have no idea of what prog means. Their song structures are extremely simple, with heavy guitars and big, FM-friendly choruses. If you don't want to accept my opinion, ask your friends Geck0 and Atavachron in the VR - they listened to the album and had exactly my same opinion (Micky hated it with a passion, but that's another story...Wink).

And please, let's not lose sight of the fact that Prog-Related doesn't mean having one or more members from a prog band... According to that, a band like The Police (who, in my humble opinion, are 100 times proggier than GPS) should have been in from day one. Prog-Related means either influenced by prog, or influential to prog.

I'm sorry about that, but if GPS went in, I'd add Blue Oyster Cult the next day...Wink
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:40
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

They ARE prog-related, proggier than Asia (a lot), but they won't be included. No problem, you and I and many people like the album and we don't need it to be here to like it. Only bad thing is no reviews, but there are other sites where you'll find reviews for GPS. We won't be ablt to write reviews for that one, who cares, there's a lot more albums to review.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree, and I have been listening to prog for quite a long time. So have James and David, who know about music even more than I do, and Micky, who is a musician as well. Moreover, Asia weren't inducted by any of us, nor were Styx, Triumph or any such bands. Art Rock is out of the question - the only thing I can do is to submit GPS to the other Admins, as this is what we need for Prog-Related additions.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:44
Okay I realise Art Rock is out of the question but they don't belong in prog-related. Something more than that. Maybe Neo-Prog? I hear things that sound like Frost.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:52
I've submitted the question to the other Admins, since all Prog-Related admissions must go through the Admin Team. As to Neo, you could ask Cygnus and Stonie to take a listen.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:55
Well, I too had felt they were a bit proggier than Asia (and incidentally, I rated it far higher than Okumoto's other album last year, the eponymous Spock's Beard album) but I wouldn't have said they were anything more than prog related, and if they aren't to be included, that's the way it is- I won't lose sleep over it. I don't agree they would fit in with neo prog, art rock or prog metal.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:58
I'll wait to see what the Admins verdict is for prog-related. 
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 15:02
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

Okay I realise Art Rock is out of the question but they don't belong in prog-related. Something more than that. Maybe Neo-Prog? I hear things that sound like Frost.

I think that prog-related is exactly where they belong, should they be included. I googled for them a little bit, and most pages I found suggest that they are AOR/Melodic Rock. I listened to the album myself, and IMO they are just barely prog related ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>