Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRussian Prog Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:44
Dick,never heard these two,but going to

Now listening to BOSCH;S WITH YOU - Russian Post-rock outfit.They have some tracks free-to-download from their site.Check them, guys!!! It's like GYBE meets Mogwai!!!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:44
Honganji, I'm expecting your PM!!!
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 16:27
I'm curious, however, what would I said about Aquarium had I no acquaintance with Russian.

Actually, my mainest problem with Russian music is the fact that I do understand the lyrics (well, with the single exception of BG's lyrics -- I'm not sure there is anyone who understands them fully, including BG himself; in his case I can say that I understand all (most Wink)the words he's used).

Edited by Fassbinder - January 03 2007 at 16:28
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:15
Originally posted by Fassbinder Fassbinder wrote:

well, with the single exception of BG's lyrics -- I'm not sure there is anyone who understands them fully, including BG himself

That one is good!!!
well,yeah,sometimes lyrical part can spoil the whole impression - again here I mean this ELP-influenced band... I hope their next would be better from this side.
I guess most of Russian proggers are aware of that side - it's very hard to combine Prog music with good Russian lyrics,that's why there's a great number of INSTRUMENTAL PROG in Russia/CIS/USSR.Music speaks for itself

Once again, I found some bands to be great in poetry - EXTROVERT and FLEUR
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:25
Wink Don't forget Ole Lukkoye - I saw them live in Germany I think two or three years ago - a very impressive concert  Wink

honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:29
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Please wait. I have only one body. CryCryCry
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:32
Originally posted by Uwe Zickel Uwe Zickel wrote:

Don't forget Ole Lukkoye - I saw them live in Germany I think two or three years ago - a very impressive concert 

just found their site today,never heard them before.

I think I should leave my University and concentrate on submitting Russian bands here!!!!!!!   
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:33
Originally posted by honganji honganji wrote:

Please wait. I have only one body.    

one of many human's flaws

Just made an AUTOGRAPH's Kamenny Kray review.Not their best,but a worthy one for 80s' sound lovers(a mix of late Rush and Floyd)

Edited by Prog-jester - January 03 2007 at 17:34
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:43

I think I should leave my University and concentrate on submitting Russian bands here!!!!!!!  

Ouch  Not a good idea if you want to earn money sometimes ...  Ouch

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:45

Prog Rock has never been popular not only due to its complexness,it happened because of growing popularity of SOCIAL side of Russian Rock.I mean you could sing (without being able to ) about absence of sugar, and that what was called Rock. Majority of Soviet Rock listeners sacrifised musical side to LYRICS - so, there's no place for Prog-Rock with its instrumentals and virtuosity.

You're absolutely right.

But, somehow, I always considered Aquarium to be in the same row as Kino, DDT, Nautilus Pompilius, or Mashina Vremeni, i.e., lyrics-oriented. And (sorry, sorry, sorry everybody who loves Aquarium), I just can't stand them. Well, not them. Him. Because of his manner of singing and, mostly, because of his lyrics. Unhappy

Ouch

I don't care at all for Kino, DDT or Nautilus, Mashina Vremeni, etc. but Aquarium are one of my favorite bands. BG is a genius composer! maybe you haven't heard enough?

He's my favorite lyricist ever too, but that's another story.

eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:54

I'm curious, however, what would I said about Aquarium had I no acquaintance with Russian.

Actually, my mainest problem with Russian music is the fact that I do understand the lyrics (well, with the single exception of BG's lyrics -- I'm not sure there is anyone who understands them fully, including BG himself; in his case I can say that I understand all (most Wink)the words he's used).

Absurdist verses are only part of BG's lyrical output, apart from those he wrote some very understandable poetry.
There is so called "associative" poetry which bears no exact meaning but only creates some associations, impressions and images, which I find to be very much to my likings, and also some of his abstract verses are absolutely brilliant IMO. I think he was very much influenced by Jon Anderson in writing non-sensical songs. Unfortunately BG is no-where near JA music-wise.

carefulwiththataxe
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 18:02
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

I always considered Aquarium to be in the same row as Kino, DDT, Nautilus Pompilius, or Mashina Vremeni, i.e., lyrics-oriented. And (sorry, sorry, sorry everybody who loves Aquarium), I just can't stand them. Well, not them. Him. Because of his manner of singing and, mostly, because of his lyrics. Unhappy

Ouch  -- It wasn't against you, it was against him...

I don't care at all for Kino, DDT or Nautilus, Mashina Vremeni, etc. but Aquarium are one of my favorite bands.  -- I know.  BG is a genius composer!  -- I don't think so.  maybe you haven't heard enough? -- Several full albums aren't enough?

He's my favorite lyricist ever too, but that's another story. -- But, as I said, the lyrics are the main point why I can't stand him, not the melodies.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 18:04
You don't need to understand them - you need to feel them. You also have to be very educated to get all the associations - BG is one of the most brilliant and intelligent people I've heard of and he pulls associations from literature, mythology, history, etc. so you need to know some of that stuff to understand. I don;t always get his associations but the poetry itself is simply beautiful and full of emotion.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 18:06

I always considered Aquarium to be in the same row as Kino, DDT, Nautilus Pompilius, or Mashina Vremeni, i.e., lyrics-oriented. And (sorry, sorry, sorry everybody who loves Aquarium), I just can't stand them. Well, not them. Him. Because of his manner of singing and, mostly, because of his lyrics. Unhappy

Ouch  -- It wasn't against you, it was against him...

I don't care at all for Kino, DDT or Nautilus, Mashina Vremeni, etc. but Aquarium are one of my favorite bands.  -- I know.  BG is a genius composer!  -- I don't think so.  maybe you haven't heard enough? -- Several full albums aren't enough?

He's my favorite lyricist ever too, but that's another story. -- But, as I said, the lyrics are the main point why I can't stand him, not the melodies.

I guess his music is just not your cup of tea. Several maybe enough(depends on how much several is - I have 17 Aquarium CD's and it still feels incomplete). Some eras are more musical, others are more lyrical, plenty of genres and influences they experimented with.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 18:13

You don't need to understand them - you need to feel them. You also have to be very educated to get all the associations - BG is one of the most brilliant and intelligent people I've heard of and he pulls associations from literature, mythology, history, etc. so you need to know some of that stuff to understand. I don;t always get his associations but the poetry itself is simply beautiful and full of emotion.

You get the point -- the problem is not in understanding. I haven't said I don't understand him. I just don't like anything he wrote regardless of understanding or misunderstanding. The problem is in feelings. The way he represents his thoughts is just unbearable for me.

Edited by Fassbinder - January 03 2007 at 18:15
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 18:15
Well then it's just not your cup o' tea. Opinion respectedWink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 18:20
Yes, indeed. Pay attention that I haven't said a single word against his intelligence nor about the quality of his verses. It was all about the feelings.

BTW. "several" albums -- it should be 5 or 6, if I remember rightly. I still have something on cassettes, but I don't listen to it already.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 01:15

BTW. "several" albums -- it should be 5 or 6, if I remember rightly. I still have something on cassettes, but I don't listen to it already.

I have all AQUARIUM in mp3 except BG's solo works and most of experimental/AQUARIUM-related stuff.I want to find SERGEY KURYOHIN's stuff - he used to be an AQUARIUM and KINO guest keyboardist,but he's more known as Russian chamber/RIO/experimenta; composer (died in 1995 from a heart attack ).I heard his music in one movie, and it's simply AMAZING.

Same goes to Artemiev.Still no luck .I'm hoping to download some legal stuff later

Ansen,have you downloaded DISEN GAGE's early songs from 1999?(united into one track lasting 7:54).Funny stuff!!!

Edited by Prog-jester - January 04 2007 at 01:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 01:29

.I heard his music in one movie, and it's simply AMAZING.

Same goes to Artemiev.Still no luck .I'm hoping to download some legal stuff later 

The movie with Kuryokhin's music is "Gospodin Oformitel'", isn't it?

It's easier to find the films with his and Artemiev's music, maybe...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 02:16

The movie with Kuryokhin's music is "Gospodin Oformitel'", isn't it?

It's easier to find the films with his and Artemiev's music, maybe...

oh yes,it was Gospodin! a Russian answer to Lynch!
I have Stalker and Solaris by Tarkovsky with Artemiev;s music.That's not enough

Now listening to DISEN GAGE...great!!!Bloody great! I must prepare a review!I should have been on adding them...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>