Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest US President

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Which modern USA President was the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [11.63%]
5 [11.63%]
1 [2.33%]
1 [2.33%]
2 [4.65%]
1 [2.33%]
7 [16.28%]
1 [2.33%]
19 [44.19%]
1 [2.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:29
clinton play sax,and the others?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:30
Originally posted by Arrrghus Arrrghus wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

How can you think Reagan is the best of these? He was not a great president.

how can you ask that if you remember.. or know.. the state of this country in 1980

You have a point, but I still am not convinced that Reagan really should have held any power at all.

he brought this country together.. gave it pride and strengthened it at a time where ..well things really weren't so hot.  I do think he was a crook and should have been impeached for Iran-Contra and bypassing the laws of the country (anyone who knows anything about the military knows that Colonels.. even full bird.. are a dime a dozen at the Pentagon and have no real authority there.  Ollie North was authorized by someone HIGH up to do willingly ignore the laws of the land) ...but other than that and the financial train wreck he left his predessors to fix.. a damn fine President.  If you know my politics.. that is high praise indeed hahhaha.  Wink
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:31
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Clinton wins because he's a good saxophonist Thumbs Up

(I didn't vote) LOL

BERN!!!!! Hug They let you out of the VR again hahahhah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Clinton wins because he's a good saxophonist Thumbs Up

(I didn't vote) LOL

BERN!!!!! Hug They let you out of the VR again hahahhah

MICKY!!! Hug

No I've just been away from the site for a long time Embarrassed

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:33
Originally posted by Scapler Scapler wrote:

Kennedy was the best, but he still doesn't measure up to Lincoln.
Need I remeber Kennedy and Reagan are more similar in views than most of the people they worked with during their presidency? Plus, Reagan turned the entire economy around, after Carter left it to die in a pool of stagnant inflation and downswings. Sure, Reagan spent money, but this isn't a perfect world, and you have to spend money to get money.

Plus, he avoided war with the USSR. If we had gone to war with them, millions upon millions of civilan and military lives would have been lost. By building up the arms race, Reagan forced the Soviets to spend almost all of their already dying budget on the military. This caused the USSR to lose so much money, their economy fell completly, and the Soviet Empire was effectively destroyed. If that is not brillance, I don't know what is(And Lincoln, for all he did for the country, really stomped on the liberties of the American people, he had many politicians jailed for speaking out against him)But he did do a good job, just wanted to share a view of Lincoln many people don't get

You give too much credit to Reagan for preventing any war with the USSR. Gorbachev deserves more credit.

So what if Lincoln did what he did. He was the last man who was a public servant and didn't serve himself (Kennedy had self-serving motives). Lincoln was more brilliant than any president except for Thomas Jefferson.

video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:34
I'm surprised Ford is being voted for, he was the only president in history to never become elected president.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:37

Need I remeber Kennedy and Reagan are more similar in views than most of the people they worked with during their presidency? Plus, Reagan turned the entire economy around, after Carter left it to die in a pool of stagnant inflation and downswings. Sure, Reagan spent money, but this isn't a perfect world, and you have to spend money to get money.

Plus, he avoided war with the USSR. If we had gone to war with them, millions upon millions of civilan and military lives would have been lost. By building up the arms race, Reagan forced the Soviets to spend almost all of their already dying budget on the military. This caused the USSR to lose so much money, their economy fell completly, and the Soviet Empire was effectively destroyed. If that is not brillance, I don't know what is(And Lincoln, for all he did for the country, really stomped on the liberties of the American people, he had many politicians jailed for speaking out against him)But he did do a good job, just wanted to share a view of Lincoln many people don't get

You give too much credit to Reagan for preventing any war with the USSR. Gorbachev deserves more credit.

So what if Lincoln did what he did. He was the last man who was a public servant and didn't serve himself (Kennedy had self-serving motives). Lincoln was more brilliant than any president except for Thomas Jefferson.

I agree with your 2nd statement, the first one is hard to agree with because so many factors went into the ending of the cold war Reagan was a factor so was Gorbachev I don't know who was a bigger one.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:39
Originally posted by video vertigo video vertigo wrote:

I agree with your 2nd statement, the first one is hard to agree with because so many factors went into the ending of the cold war Reagan was a factor so was Gorbachev I don't know who was a bigger one.

I'm not a fan of conservatives, so I'm a bit biased (don't get me wrong, I don't like many liberals either).

Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:40

I'm surprised Ford is being voted for, he was the only president in history to never become elected president.

That means that someone believes the populace is stupid! They're probably right...
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:42
Of every president, I'll say Teddy Roosevelt was probably the best. Captured the frontier spirit and was an all-around likeable guy.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:43
I won't vote but I'd like to remember that the deeds of certain rulers (not only in the USA) are only to be noticed in the future, maybe 30 or 40 years ahead.

Ike started the space program and it opened a great door for new technologies, communications, medicine, general sciences, etc. Kennedy continued and estimulated the program in spite of all criticism it gained. The space race was in fact a chapter in the Cold War however it was a great moment in Man's history and Ike (and Kennedy) contributed hugely to inscribe their names in this book. 
Guigo

~~~~~~
Scapler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:46

I'm not a fan of conservatives, so I'm a bit biased (don't get me wrong, I don't like many liberals either).

Your best Conservative friend criesCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
                                                                ^^^
                                                 (points)  SEEEEEEE!!!!!
Bassists are deadly
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:48
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Of every president, I'll say Teddy Roosevelt was probably the best. Captured the frontier spirit and was an all-around likeable guy.

He's pretty cool, but what did he do for the country?

That's the most important thing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:49

great statement. Well I'm a registered Republican but only because I dislike democrats slightly more (although the current president changes everything) I tend to lean towards libertarianism. I think historically conservatives have screwed up slightly less than liberals (again the current president not included because he screws all my theories up)
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:51

He was the only president to never be elected for anything. And he did a good job considering he didn't really ask for it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:53

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

He's pretty cool, but what did he do for the country?

That's the most important thing.

created the national park system he was probably the best environmentalist president. Definitely deserves his spot right here \/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:55
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

He was the only president to never be elected for anything. And he did a good job considering he didn't really ask for it.

Makes me glad Bush is alive and not going to be impeached or resign, he's not a good president but look who's next in line
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:56
The problem with liberals is that they don't get anything done. Conservatives get stuff done, but the stuff isn't always what's is best.

On one hand, we have idealists, and the other we have people who get the job done.

Frankly, we need a comprimise. That's why I'm a moderate. I think we need stuff done, but the wishy-washy nature of today's political correctness gets in the way. As my wise father says, "I will respect you in the work place and in economic endeavours, but I'll be damned if the color of your skin or whether or not you piss sitting down or standing up or what is your sexual preference give you an advantage over the next guy."

My father is talking about the ridiculous need to overcompensate (affirmative action, anyone). Political correctness just gets in the way.
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:57

Makes me glad Bush is alive and not going to be impeached or resign, he's not a good president but look who's next in line

Who?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 20:59

Who?

the vice president is next in line to the president. Currently the vice president is Dick Cheney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>