Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow about a ''non-prog essential'' category ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How about a ''non-prog essential'' category ?
    Posted: January 03 2007 at 12:54
Hello to everyone, this is my first post here and i hope more will come!

Now about the thought that i have - would you concider having a ''non-prog essential'' category?

I mostly listen to the likes of Mike Oldfield and Pink Floyd, but one band really amazed me when i heard them and the band is Depeche Mode.

I first thought why on earth i like them because i have always loved rock in general, but as i listened to their albums more and more they seem to have more depht in terms of music than even some of the masterpieces of prog. rock and i am talking the truth here.

I think a band like Depeche Mode deserves a special place here too, the have made songs that are even a bit more prog than some i have heard/seen here (for example their song Freestate on the album Ultra etc.)

Of course there could be many more non-prog essential bands out there, i just happen to like Depeche Mode

I already send a PM about the same thing to one of the admins, and i was suggested to create this topic in order to get some feedback from others as well.

So any thoughts about this?
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 12:57
No I do not think that would be a good idea. This is a prog music website and including an obviously non-prog section would go against what the site is about.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 12:59
it's nice to be inclusive of bands that help you graduate your tastes in order to appreciate more complex music, however, a "non-prog essential" category really would be open to every single band under the sun and that's a little TOO inclusive. ;) We'd be seeing a lot of Talking Heads, Black Sabbath and U2 reviews on the front page and I for one wouldn't be happy at such a development.

I'm also wary of the proto-prog and the prog-related sections, not that they don't have their merits.

edit: I love the Depeche Mode track "Home".

Edited by laplace - January 03 2007 at 13:01
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:11
It would be very nice if when opening MusicArchives page one would be given an option to go into ProgArchives or into Non-Prog essentials or whatever.

This way the site would maintain it's inclusive tendencies and growing capabilities, and in the same time Prog department would be able to concentrate on progressive music only.

How about that???

carefulwiththataxe
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:14
^^Sounds too vague and would be overloaded with information for just one website.
_DM_ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:17
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

it's nice to be inclusive of bands that help you graduate your tastes in order to appreciate more complex music

I honestly consider Depeche Mode as a band who has managed to create some really, really complex music.

I have listened to many other artists as well who have made music that you may have to listen to more than 10 times to really get into it (Amarok from Oldfield for example and many more)and i still think that DM are just as good if not better in terms of musical quality.

Also i think that not every band could be included under the possible ''non-prog essential''
Only a few bands should be included and let the decisions be made by the best reviewers around here

Just a thought...

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:19
Well, STYX, Be Bop Deluxe, ASIA and similars are what I understand as non essential Prog and they have a place here in Prog Related.

Depeche Mode is simly Non Prog (Dance, POP, Alternative or whatever you want but not remotely related with remotely Prog bands) and they don't belong in a specialized Prog site.

Why must we add tem? If we want to check non Prog bands, we have Allmusic or Musicmatch.com but Prog Archives is essentially for Prog music.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 03 2007 at 13:20

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:21
What few bands then?  And who are the best reviewers? I see too many problems with this idea.
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:22
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

^^Sounds too vague and would be overloaded with information for just one website.

Make it two websites then
carefulwiththataxe
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:26
Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

Make it two websites then

And the other website would be Non-Prog Archives? Wink
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:26
a companion site would be nice. I'd be tempted to suggest that proto and related should be shuffled off to it too.

alternatively, reviewers could have extended profiles where they explain their musical roots and such things, to ward off the silly last.fm signatures. yes I'm guilty too, but only 36 pixels worth of guilty.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:29

a companion site would be nice. I'd be tempted to suggest that proto and related should be shuffled off to it too.

alternatively, reviewers could have extended profiles where they explain their musical roots and such things, to ward off the silly last.fm signatures. yes I'm guilty too, but only 36 pixels worth of guilty.

That sounds like a good idea, but who would run it? It would be a lot of work to have a companion site.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:31

That sounds like a good idea, but who would run it? It would be a lot of work to have a companion site.

the tooth fairy would. the trick is to be optimistic when discussing ideas

ps: I have no sway here as I've only written a single review, so you may as well take my ideas with a pinch of stfu :D

Edited by laplace - January 03 2007 at 13:32
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:32

the tooth fairy would. the trick is to be optimistic when discussing ideas

I was just pointing out the fact that someone would have to be willing to spend a lot of extra time doing this. I really like this idea, btw.
_DM_ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:33

What few bands then?  And who are the best reviewers? I see too many problems with this idea.

What bands i honestly dont know, how could i?

The best reviewers i think can be concidered those who rate an album by it's musical quality not by judging them by the bands name etc.

A poll would be an option here, about 20 top reviewers should be listed and then we could already have something.

And still, this is just and idea, nothing bad with having ideas i think...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:37
Originally posted by _DM_ _DM_ wrote:

What bands i honestly dont know, how could i?

The best reviewers i think can be concidered those who rate an album by it's musical quality not by judging them by the bands name etc.

A poll would be an option here, about 20 top reviewers should be listed and then we could already have something.

And still, this is just and idea, nothing bad with having ideas i think...

There is nothing wrong with ideas, I just see the problems that could occur.
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:38

my answer is also NO, but it depends on the band. so, if the bands we're talking are completely separated by progressive music (rock, electronic, metal), we can stop with "NO". but if we're talking about prog-related and proto-prog bands, which are not considered prog, i think they should be separated. they are already, in the genres menu; but they're not, in the ratings top. i think there should be a different proto & related ratings top, which would act very well as the ''non-prog essential''  highlight you were thinking of.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 13:40
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

my answer is also NO, but it depends on the band. so, if the bands we're talking are completely separated by progressive music (rock, electronic, metal), we can stop with "NO". but if we're talking about prog-related and proto-prog bands, which are not considered prog, i think they should be separated. they are already, in the genres menu; but they're not, in the ratings top. i think there should be a different proto & related ratings top, which would act very well as the ''non-prog essential''  highlight you were thinking of.

ClapClapClapClap

A very good idea, andu. And it seems to fulfill what DM was trying to suggest.

ClapClapClapClap
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 18:59

That's the problem with thinking reading in English, translating it to Spanish and back again to English, I thought in Non Essential Prog rather than in Essential non Prog,.

But anyway, this is a Prog site and I insist in my last sentsnce: Why must we add tem? If we want to check non Prog bands, we have Allmusic or Musicmatch.com but Prog Archives is essentially for Prog music.

Iván

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2007 at 01:40
A non-prog music reference doesn't say anything (truly important) to me. However appreciable it is that prog fans have the ear towards many other things, anything of a non-prog (or,uf,prog-related) relevance doesn't worth much general approach.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>