Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How many prog albums of 2006 did you listen to?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow many prog albums of 2006 did you listen to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: How many prog albums of 2006 did you listen to?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [18.75%]
29 [30.21%]
27 [28.13%]
9 [9.38%]
13 [13.54%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 17:09
None, I think.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 18:11
I must have unlistened them already for non spring to mind.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 18:17
15 albums this year, thats actually a record for me, but I hacnt been listening to music, seriously, long.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 18:57
I listened to 3, and barely played through a fourth album:

Tool - 10,000 days
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Beyond Twilight - For The Love Of Art And The Making

and barely played through The Mars Volta - Amputechture.

will quite likely listen to quite a few more 2007 albums, though.
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 19:37
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Would I be right in assuming that most of the new releases/new artists in prog these days are from the metal end of the spectrum? (You know I prefer that 70s sound.)

There were actually several that might appeal to you. I'm not a metal guy either, and I found some that are right up my alley.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 19:40
10ish here too. Got 7 on CD.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 19:56

Would I be right in assuming that most of the new releases/new artists in prog these days are from the metal end of the spectrum? Ermm

(You know I prefer that 70s sound.)

To be honest from my 50 releases of 2006 there were less than 10 that could be concidered prog metal.

Metal isn't the only new thing around you know? Geek

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 20:37
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

Would I be right in assuming that most of the new releases/new artists in prog these days are from the metal end of the spectrum? Ermm

To be honest from my 50 releases of 2006 there were less than 10 that could be concidered prog metal.

Metal isn't the only new thing around you know? Geek

He doesn'tWink

Some older folks go by "all modern prog is metal" theoryWink
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 00:27
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Metal isn't the only new thing around you know?
Geek

He doesn'tWink

OuchGuys, I just asked a simple question, and I asked it politely and respectfully. Maybe the answer was obvious to you, but it wasn't to me -- I don't buy much newer prog, as I said.

Nor do I read many reviews, nor have I heard many of the newer bands out there. To be honest, I don't have too much interest in getting into a lot of new prog bands -- or many newer bands of any genre. I don't have unlimited money to spend on a luxury like music, and I have close to 2000 CDs, anyway.

You may be much the same, one day.

(And I wasn't asking about any one person's purchases, Chamber but about the year's prog releases, in general.)

Please don't assume to know what I think, or try to drag me into a dispute along genre or generational lines.

I do have feelings, you know, and that sort of hurt.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 00:36

Geek

He doesn'tWink

OuchGuys, I just asked a simple question, and I asked it politely and respectfully. Maybe the answer was obvious to you, but it wasn't to me -- I don't buy much newer prog, as I said.

Nor do I read many reviews, nor have I heard many of the newer bands out there. To be honest, I don't have too much interest in getting into a lot of new prog bands -- or many newer bands of any genre. I don't have unlimited money to spend on a luxury like music, and I have close to 2000 CDs, anyway.

(And I wasn't asking about any one person's purchases, Chamber but about the year's prog releases, in general.)

Please don't assume to know what I think, or try to drag me into a dispute along genre or generational lines.

I feel for ya Rideout, even though you did cut me deep in my Ratings threadWink
Good thing I focus on the present huh?Smile

Edited by Zappa88 - January 06 2007 at 00:36
Beauty will save the world.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 11:58

Geek

He doesn'tWink

I'm sorry Peter. It's just that I've been reading your resents posts and when talking about the youth of today it's always related to prog metal. I'm not offended by it, it's just that I don't like generalisations. I agree it wasn't the best way to say it and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. That wasn't my intention.

I know that you were talking about progs releases of the year and I'm pretty sure there's as much prog metal as there is symphonic, art rock, and others. (That would've been a better answer to your question.Embarrassed)

Sorry for the assumptions too. My opinions were based on your posts and nothing more.

No hard feelings? Smile

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 12:47
Just about 5...Cry
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 12:54
I'm going to list them, for my own sanity...

Prog:
Vanden Plas: Christ.0
Beyond Twilight: For The Love Of
Jadis: Photoplay
Tool:10,000 Days
ACT: Silence
Green Carnation: Acoustic Verses
Novembre: Materia

Non Prog:
Blind Guardian: A Twist In The Myth
Communic: Waves Of Visual Decay
Evergrey: Monday Morning Apocalypse

and I think therein lies the problem... I really can't manage more than 10, if I'm still to catch up on music from past years.. of which, I've probably bought further 20...

too much music, too little time...Ouch
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 12:57
btw Mike, why are you collecting this information??

(I'm just being inquisitive...)Smile
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Corporal Cleeg View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 14:19
Between 10 and 20, awesome albums for 2006!
Progressive rock is my medicine.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 20:19
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Good question.Clap

Well, I'm just curious. Personally I'm kind of proud that I listened to so many albums of 2006 ... but that doesn't mean that I think that you have to devote that much attention to new releases. Back in 2005 I was totally obsessed with classic prog - I bought Yes - Close to the Edge, Genesis - Selling England by the Pound, Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, Gentle Giant - Octopus etc. etc.Wink
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 23:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

(I'm just being inquisitive...)
Good question.Well, I'm just curious. Personally I'm kind of proud that I listened to so many albums of 2006 ... but that doesn't mean that I think that you have to devote that much attention to new releases. Back in 2005 I was totally obsessed with classic prog - I bought Yes - Close to the Edge, Genesis - Selling England by the Pound, Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, Gentle Giant - Octopus etc. etc.

I've spent a lot of time on older bands this year too. I realized this, and decided to make an effort to check out some of the new stuff in the last few months.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 02:24

Would I be right in assuming that most of the new releases/new artists in prog these days are from the metal end of the spectrum? (You know I prefer that 70s sound.)
To be honest from my 50 releases of 2006 there were less than 10 that could be concidered prog metal.Metal isn't the only new thing around you know?
He doesn'tSome older folks go by "all modern prog is metal" theory
Guys, I just asked a simple question, and I asked it politely and respectfully. Maybe the answer was obvious to you, but it wasn't to me -- I don't buy much newer prog, as I said. Nor do I read many reviews, nor have I heard many of the newer bands out there. To be honest, I don't have too much interest in getting into a lot of new prog bands -- or many newer bands of any genre. I don't have unlimited money to spend on a luxury like music, and I have close to 2000 CDs, anyway. You may be much the same, one day.(And I wasn't asking about any one person's purchases, Chamber but about the year's prog releases, in general.)Please don't assume to know what I think, or try to drag me into a dispute along genre or generational lines.I do have feelings, you know, and that sort of hurt.
I'm sorry Peter. It's just that I've been reading your resents posts and when talking about the youth of today it's always related to prog metal. I'm not offended by it, it's just that I don't like generalisations. I agree it wasn't the best way to say it and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. That wasn't my intention.I know that you were talking about progs releases of the year and I'm pretty sure there's as much prog metal as there is symphonic, art rock, and others. (That would've been a better answer to your question.)Sorry for the assumptions too. My opinions were based on your posts and nothing more.No hard feelings?

No, no hard feelings, Chamberry, and thanks.

I swear I asked my question in good faith, with no double meaning, but I have since been roundly lectured by Mike En R. for this post and my question about the ratio of prog to prog metal in 2006 (he assumed I was attacking metal, and all metal fans again, but seems not to have read my reply to him from before Xmas, when I said I wouldn't speak of P Metal in a disparaging way again. Imeant it, and I always try to honour my committments, and/or my word.)

That's right -- I was careful; to ask my question respectfully, and in polite, precise, neutral language, was teased a bit in response, felt hurt, said as much, then Mike PMs me to say "we answered politely, too. What's wrong with you?"

I don't know why he felt he was involved, or that he could speak for you and Miracle, but I've had more than enough of this negativity, and being unflatteringly analyzed my Mike (I won't quote his PM further, but suffice to say, it wasn't nice, and he thinks the very worst of me, every time.)

I have had enough of this -- logging on to be lectured and put down, to always be assumed to be insincere and insulting is too much, and, in all honesty, quite depressing for me.

I also find the forum to be increasingly humourless and intolerant, and frequented by increasing numbers of seriosly hateful bigots, especially in the DNRTM section. I recently reported a grossly offensive post -- now deleted; I think it was in the religion thread -- that had been there for over a week. Though other regulars had posted after it, and must therefore have read it too, I was the ONLY one to report it. I am obviously more and more out of step with what people want this prog music forum to be!)

In light of all this, I am leaving PA, as I don't want to share my time with people who so often make me feel so bad.

When I hurt people's feelings here, even unintentionally, I apologise both publicly and privately (several folks will be able to attest to this). I was genuinely hurt to me so misread (and made fun of), last night, and logged on this morning to see if anyone might have apologised, but I get a nasty lecture from Mike again.

A word of advice to others who may prefer older prog: never let it be known that you don't like today's metal, because that is ALWAYS a personal attack on poor Mike, and he will make his response "to the man," and not to your position. (You should probably also use his signature service, if you want him to like you.)

The fun is gone, for me, so I leave you with good ol' Mike in my place -- enjoy his entertaining, always good-humoured posts!

To my friends: you have my email. I will not post here again. (I say this publicly, as a man of honour and principle, to make any return less likely, and doubly awkward for me.)

Enough. It's just music, and it's time for me to concentrate on real life, real friends, family, and the people who actually know, trust and love me.

Goodbye, and good luck. Sorry again to any whom I might have unintentionally offended over the past few years.

It won't happen again.

Peter Rideout

Edited by Peter Rideout - January 07 2007 at 02:44
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 06:44
Ok, fair enough ... but let me analyze my response to your post here:

I know ... metal had been around before I was even born, but you still think it's something for teenagers.

Ok, here I'm second guessing your thoughts ... based on what you said in other threads. Is that so bad? People second guess me all the time, because of the tag "Prog Metal Specialist". But in this special case - isn't my assumption correct? Don't you really think that metal is something for young people, and with age (and wisdom) they move away from metal and on to the really good music? I'm fine with that, I just happen to disagree.

Well, if it is for teenagers - then why should there be more metal today than - say - 20 years ago? There aren't more teenagers today than there were back then. Face it, Metal is not really related to age. True, some metal is raw and unsophisticated and angry and rebellious and goes well with adolescence and puberty, but there's also the type of metal that is inherently sophisticated, polished, technical, artistic, experimental, complex etc..Big smile

Can't see anything even remotely insulting or offending here.

For the record: Judging by the albums entered in the PA database, there are 58 prog metal releases of 2006, vs. 56 (30+26) in the genres of Art Rock and Symphonic Prog Rock alone. I won't bother to query the remaining genres ... I'd estimate that Prog Metal is about 25% of all the new releases of 2006, not more.Approve

Can't see anything unfriendly here either. I just took the time to count the new releases in the sub genres to show Peter that numerically speaking the answer to his question is "no".

So what did the other guys reply? They said that you're "older", that you might think that all new prog is bad and that most new releases are from the genre of metal. Is that so far from the truth? Saying that you prefer the 70s sound and can't really enjoy the new bands automatically makes you look old. When I first joined the forum and got into some arguments with philippe I thought he was at least 50 years old. Today I know that disliking new prog is not necessarily related to age, so I try not to make these assumptions.

So if you really leave the forum ... do what you have to do, but I refuse to accept that it's because of something I said. I rather think that you should stay away from forums generally, because you seem to have some issues with accepting criticism and handling heated debates.Ouch

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - January 07 2007 at 06:45
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 08:04
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Good question.Clap

Well, I'm just curious. Personally I'm kind of proud that I listened to so many albums of 2006 ... but that doesn't mean that I think that you have to devote that much attention to new releases. Back in 2005 I was totally obsessed with classic prog - I bought Yes - Close to the Edge, Genesis - Selling England by the Pound, Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, Gentle Giant - Octopus etc. etc.Wink

yeah, there is always a fine balance to strike over this... on the one hand, there may be 10 new releases from bands I already like, each year, and want to buy.

on the other, there are new bands I'm discovering all the time which I like, and make it a priority to buy the back catalogue of...

but that means that next year, there will be 14 new releases I want to buy, because I have more favourite bands...LOL

but money and time are a finite resource....Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>