FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLesser Heard Mellotron Sounds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lesser Heard Mellotron Sounds
    Posted: March 12 2004 at 16:41

The wonderful old tape-driven beast that we know and love, sets our hearts aflame with eerie flutes, spooky strings and stark brass tones that haunt us for days on end.

Well aside from the obvious crowd-pleasers like these, what other 'Tron tones grab your attention and what are your favorite examples of such?

I'll start, on Anekdoten's "Nucleus" CD (a real favorite of mine latley), the sounds of vague hazy vibes and possibly clarinet tapes haunt my psyche (check out "In Freedom" for instance).

Your turn------------

(edited by The Owl, who was having a "bad keyboard day")

Edited by The Owl
People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

www.myspace.com/theowlsmusic
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2004 at 18:21

Owl:

Funny you should ask that just now.  I just listened to an album called "Not To Be Or Not To Be" by Cliffhanger, a Netherlands neo-prog band.  The album (which is spectacular!) features lots of mellotron.  And strangely enough, it has one of the coolest mellotron uses I've heard.  On the 24-minute epic, "Ragnarok," there is a mellotron usage from 11:30 to 12:45 that is absolutely wonderful.  Not unique, perhaps, but used very effectively, and as "spooky" as it comes.

Peace.

Aztech View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 12:16

"aside from the obvious crowd-pleasers like these, what other 'Tron tones grab your attention"

Not an easy thread to answer.

I 'm a keyboard player myself and can identify many sounds to different synths and I know the classic sounds of the Mellotron ie: the most frequently used, but giving the the name or describing of an obscure sound produced bt the mellotron and used by a prog band draws a complete blank for me and others it would seem !

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 12:24
There's a lot of Mellotron on English language tracks recorded in Germany by the Hungarian group Omega. I'll try and find some examples.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Tauhd Zaļa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 12:54
Originally posted by Aztech Aztech wrote:

I 'm a keyboard player myself and can identify many sounds to different synths and I know the classic sounds of the Mellotron ie: the most frequently used, but giving the the name or describing of an obscure sound produced bt the mellotron and used by a prog band draws a complete blank for me and others it would seem !

I agree with you Aztech.

When I played keyboards (till the end of the 9ties) I used a lot of Mellotron sounds. Not with a real accoustic mellotron but samples (home made samples and commercial samples ie : extension card "vintage" for Roland JV 1080).

I was able to produce an infinity of sounds.

And now if we speak about real accoustic mellotrons, the effects you may apply on it also produce an infinity of sounds. (the return)

As the description of a sound if more difficult than the description of wine (of a colour for a blind) it is a real headhache to speak about them.

Edited by Tauhd Zaļa
The State Of Grace Is Achieved
 Post Reply Post Reply