Topic ClosedMarillion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 14:44
Originally posted by Tristan Mulders Tristan Mulders wrote:

To be really honest, I've never heard of that name before Embarrassed. What's he familiar for?

He's been Rush's art director since Caress Of Steel. He's done every Rush album from that up to the new release. He's also done Octavarium by Rush, Promised Land by Queensryche, Megadeth's Youthanasia, Pump by Aerosmith, Arena's The Visitor and Immortal?. He's also done countless other projects for various companies worldwide. The man is quite simply one of the best.

www.hughsyme.com

E

Edited by E-Dub - February 08 2007 at 14:45
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 15:01
Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Marillion without Fish is like chips without salt and vinegar.

I prefer my chips without salt and vinegar, so your analogy is flawed in my case. For me let's call pepper a happy balance between the two vocalists. Tongue

I can't wait to see Marillion (June) and Fish (September). With Deep Purple in April, this year is going to be fantastic.

Originally posted by Tristan Tristan wrote:

I've read several messages stating that it was all recorded and that it is scheduled for future release Big%20smile.

Excellent. It'll be added to my rapidly growing (10 at last count) pile of Marillion DVDs. Big%20smile

Edited by Forgotten Son - February 08 2007 at 15:03
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 18:27
Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Marillion without Fish is like chips without salt and vinegar.

I prefer my chips without salt and vinegar, so your analogy is flawed in my case. For me let's call pepper a happy balance between the two vocalists. Tongue

I can't wait to see Marillion (June) and Fish (September). With Deep Purple in April, this year is going to be fantastic.

Originally posted by Tristan Tristan wrote:

I've read several messages stating that it was all recorded and that it is scheduled for future release Big%20smile.

Excellent. It'll be added to my rapidly growing (10 at last count) pile of Marillion DVDs. Big%20smile

Hows about poached eggs with spaghetti Forgotten Sons?? Agreed this year will be fantastic Wishbone Ash and The Musical Box followed by the truly awesome Porcupine Tree and that's all before April is out no doubt there will be lots more to enjoy.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 18:37
I don't have vinegar on chips either.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 02:03
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

To be really honest, I've never heard of that name before Embarrassed. What's he familiar for?

He's been Rush's art director since Caress Of Steel. He's done every Rush album from that up to the new release. He's also done Octavarium by Rush, Promised Land by Queensryche, Megadeth's Youthanasia, Pump by Aerosmith, Arena's The Visitor and Immortal?. He's also done countless other projects for various companies worldwide. The man is quite simply one of the best.

www.hughsyme.com

E

Indeed. His cover art for Grace Under Pressure will likely remain my favorite. And I'm sure you meant Octavarium by Dream Theater.
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 15:26
Ah, I'm listening to Misplaced Childhood for the first time since September! I always underrate this one, because I think it's overrated by everyone else. But truly, this is one great album. Clutching is still my #1, but this album really flows and works. Steven Rothery's guitar work on this one is immaculate!

I love Marillion...
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 16:35
http://www.myspace.com/marillion

Marillion has posted song clips from their fourteenth studio album, Somewhere Else on their myspace page. They have also released "See It Like A Baby," what I believe is the lead single from the album.
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 18:59
They haven't released 'See it like a Baby'... a promo has been sent to various radio stations and their MySpace features a snippit, but that's all Wink.

I personally won't bother listening to any of the snippits, because I can listen to the whole thing within 2 weeks time. Big%20smileEmbarrassed
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
Angeldust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 20:38
I pre-ordered the album already !I trust this band by all means.Never have disappointed me and never will propably.They really progress even though that's not easily understandable by everybody.And whoever says that Marillion without Fish is no Marillion at all ,should just stop bothering us .Enough with this already !19 have passed for God's sake Confused
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 21:01

They haven't released 'See it like a Baby'... a promo has been sent to various radio stations and their MySpace features a snippit, but that's all Wink.

Ah, I should have said, "will be" the lead single. Phrasing just puts you in bad places! Tongue

Anyway, I hate to judge the album already - I know sound clips aren't a very good indication of the songs (after whining to my dad, he said not to worry, because he hated the "Neverland" clip) - but it's the production! It all sounds so airy, like Afraid Of Sunlight. I know I'm the only Marillion fan that doesn't love that album, but it's partially because of the tone of the album. It seems that every song is setup to be a ballad (except for "Cannibal Surf Babe", the most underrated Marillion track ever!). Anyway, I trust the old guys. Can't wait for the album.
rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2007 at 10:48
Originally posted by Freak Freak wrote:

Ah, I should have said, "will be" the lead single. Phrasing just puts you in bad places! Tongue

Anyway, I hate to judge the album already - I know sound clips aren't a very good indication of the songs (after whining to my dad, he said not to worry, because he hated the "Neverland" clip) - but it's the production! It all sounds so airy, like Afraid Of Sunlight. I know I'm the only Marillion fan that doesn't love that album, but it's partially because of the tone of the album. It seems that every song is setup to be a ballad (except for "Cannibal Surf Babe", the most underrated Marillion track ever!). Anyway, I trust the old guys. Can't wait for the album.

You're definately not the only Marillion fan who "doesn't love" AOS, in my opinion it's their weakest ( together with "Holidays" ) from the Hogarth-era... I was really surprised to see it rated higher than Brave at a fan's poll on their homepage...
but, as always, I'm going to listen to their new without any prejudice and hope for the best...
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
Simongc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 13:02
Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

Did they film/record that weekend? From the way Tristan describes it it sounds like a great show to have a Wish You Were Here-like set of.

All of it was filmed and recorded to multi-track by producer Mike Hunter. I've seen a couple of snippets of footage and it looks amazing! Hopefully it will be out by the end of the year.

Simon
Carbon Nation - the independent Porcupine Tree magazine. Issue 10 out now, available from http://www.carbon-nation.co.uk
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 13:53
I've heard 'Somewhere Else' by now and it's brilliant!

Just wanted to share this bit of information. I'd love to review it as well... but that'll mean I'll have to wait for at least a few more months Confused
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 16:58

Actually in my opinion Marillion are a bit overrated, considering  the whole prog scene. In the early eighties they were the almost the only band who played "old-fashioned" prog rock on that level, so for fans of the genre it was something very special and unique. During nineties there were born many great neo prog bands (and many of them are much more interesting IMHO), but it wasn't so surprising and striking. Especially younger prog fans around me (20-30 years), that have discovered the bands from different time perspectives, not chronologically, quite agree with that opinion. But no doubt Marillion have been very important for keeping the flame of prog rock alive, and from that point of view they shouldn't have been underrated.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 17:09
I pre-ordered mine today. I don't expect for quite some time, unfortunately; however, in the mail I'm expecting Blackfield II, the new Neal Morse, and the new Marillion. Cannot wait!

E
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 16:05
I just got the new DVD, Bootleg Butlins from Marillion Weekend 2005. I've only watched the show from Saturday night, but it was excellent!
Angeldust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 16:10
I found somewhere else on the internet but since it's a promotional copy of the album,it's one track(yeah the whole album) and the production is a bit noisy.Still it sounds greath though .And it will be!Wink
Thyme Traveler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 03:32
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Actually in my opinion Marillion are a bit overrated, considering  the whole prog scene. In the early eighties they were the almost the only band who played "old-fashioned" prog rock on that level, so for fans of the genre it was something very special and unique. During nineties there were born many great neo prog bands (and many of them are much more interesting IMHO), but it wasn't so surprising and striking. Especially younger prog fans around me (20-30 years), that have discovered the bands from different time perspectives, not chronologically, quite agree with that opinion. But no doubt Marillion have been very important for keeping the flame of prog rock alive, and from that point of view they shouldn't have been underrated.

I myself used to hold that opinion about Marillion (and most Neo-prog in general) seeing it as overated almost sort of "prog-lite" while admiting they deserved props for keeping the prog flame alive- in a time when many of the giants were abandoning the genre for simple pop.

Perhaps I underestimated the complexity of their work or maybe I was hearing and not really listening, but over the past few months, I have really grown fond of Marillion and their music (both Fish and h eras).

Edited by Thyme Traveler - March 09 2007 at 03:33
Fire up the flux capacitor ! We're taking this Delorean through all four dimensions.

What is the future of prog ? Genesis reunion ? I'm not telling!That could upset the thyme/space continuum.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 16:53
Originally posted by Freak Freak wrote:

I just got the new DVD, Bootleg Butlins from Marillion Weekend 2005. I've only watched the show from Saturday night, but it was excellent!

I got it too, Freak! I agree with you regarding the Saturday night portion. I thought the band has a really strong energy and H's voice sounds very good. Also good to hear them do "Holidays In Eden" and "Slainte Mhath" pulled out of moth balls.

E
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 19:57
Yeah, the energy on that part of the DVD's great. Particularly Separated Out and Garden Party. Interesting to hear them play the remixed version of Memory of Water.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>