Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedreview roundtables... ever considered?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: review roundtables... ever considered?
    Posted: January 17 2007 at 15:07
I don't know, maybe it would be difficult to actually do it, but has it never been proposed or has it never gobe through your minds the idea of roundtable-reviews for certain important albums that will come out or just came out? I don't know, like a new important prog-metal release being reviewed by two or more members of that team... I don't know.
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 15:15
Something tells me it is the actual point of ProgArchives that nobody HAS to review anything and people are guided by free will not reviewing schedules, roundtables or responsibilities that would make reviews forced, not inspired. I do think it should stay that way.
sig
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 15:20
^^ Agreed.

As Ivan said, this is all voluntary here. I write reviews because I hope to inform others about the music and at the same time I feel it helps me improve my writing skills. And it is natural also that much of the site will be "overrated" because typically people will review albums/music they enjoy rather than albums they do not like.

Reviews should be inspired (again as Ivan mentioned), not forced, much like music should be inspired, not forced on some timetable.
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 15:32
Agreed - nobody should *have* to do anything.

I'm a big fan of the Rock Hard magazine (Germany), and in each issue there is a huge table with about 50 albums, each of them rated by all the editors (14, I think). Recently I thought "wait a minute ... so each of them is listening to 50 albums each month? That would be almost two albums a day ... who has the time to do that?". No, rating/reviewing should not be a job-like activity, where you're under a constant pressure to deliver. This pressure will affect the quality of the reviews/ratings!

So: I don't pay much attention to that "scoreboard" anymore ... I rather focus on the individual reviews, and cross-check them with other magazines and websites.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 15:37
Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

Something tells me it is the actual point of ProgArchives that nobody HAS to review anything and people are guided by free will not reviewing schedules, roundtables or responsibilities that would make reviews forced, not inspired. I do think it should stay that way.

A very good point indeed.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 15:46
I find this very hard, despite in our team, Bob (Clem), HT (Bhikkhu) and me agree in most things, it's not very likelly we will agree so much to make a joint coherent review, we even divide the bios when some are missing so each one is responsivble of one band.

Geck0 has a different style, he's very descriptive while the rest of us are more narrative.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply