Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtullprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread
    Posted: January 18 2007 at 22:26
As a young prog listener, only 15 years old, I would have never gotten into this music without Floyd as a gateway. An amazing band and as far as Ive noticed, the only "progressive" band to consistently put out 4-5 star albums throughout their career. So go ahead, share!
giantenemycrab View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giantenemycrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 22:58
I really think that "Dark side of the Moon" could be the best CD ever produced..  How's that for appreciation? Just kidding.

Edited by giantenemycrab - January 18 2007 at 22:58
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witchwoodhermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 23:19
Pink Floyd is the first band I fully fell in love with. Twenty years later, owning the entire catalogue of music (and more), I can say they are the backbone of my music collection and the launchpad for my entire music library.
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Heff View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 23:25
Pink Floyd got me into prog, but I must say my appreciation for them has waxed quite a bit since I then. I still enjoy Wish You Were Here, Meddle and Animals but the rest of their catalogue just doesn't do it for me anymore. In my opinion they are kind of "prog lite", and pale in comparison to some of the other prog bands of their time. I also think Dark Side of the Moon is the most grossly overrated album in history, despite its obvious importance to the genre.

Edited by Heff - January 18 2007 at 23:25
2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 01:57
Pink floyd are amazing, they were one fo the first prog bands that i got into. I agree though that Darkside of the moon is not the greatest floyd album, imo i rekon Wish you were here or animals are their best albums.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i'm seeing roger waters live in sydney next week, he is performing floyd classics as well as darkside of the moon in its entirity, should make for an amazing concert! although its the last concert in a row for me as i am seeing muse on tuesday tool on wednesday and roger on thursday. just hope my ears are still in order after the first two!

I can't wait to share this new wonder...The people will all see its light!
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 02:04
Heff, if you doesn't understand masterpieces as Atom heart mother you can't say that Pink floyd are pale in comparision to other bands.
They had several phases and influenced with their music milions of people to get into prog, and a lot of other bands to try to copy their work.
Dark side of the moon is without doubt (see DVD Dark side of the moon) one of the best produced albums in history.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 02:30
Good news for me, Roger Waters is comming to Lima in March.

Iván

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 02:31
Not their biggest fan really and I never understood why DSOTM should be regarded so highly.For me its an excellent rock album with a few interesting side moments.But there's no denying that some of Floyds music is remarkable: Echoes,Sheep,Dogs,Shine On You Crazy Diamond,Comfortably Numb,Time to name just a few peices that are special.

The best thing about Pink Floyd for me is that they widened the appreciation of progressive rock to many of whom probably don't even realise they are listening to prog.They have a simpler approach to prog that makes it more accessible than the usual ELP/Yes type symph prog.They have a strong grasp of atmosphere and melody on their best work.I regard WYWH as their masterpeice where all the elements that make their music enjoyable are present.
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 02:49
We needed a PF appreciation thread! There seems to be too much resentment and shallowness around the great names. Let's start appreciating some more.

I was drawn into prog by the PF, too. It was by watching Live at Pompeii, which blew me away. I still think that's one of the greatest achievements and statements of prog and of modern popular culture. Previous to that I have been listening to WYWH, Wall and Final Cut in my teens. Not being able to understand it as progressive music (I couldn't have been able to appreciate progressive music if I'd been aware of it, anyway) my enjoyment was filled with mixed feelings. And before that too, I can still remember the magical first encounter with their music, on a PULSE cassette containing the part one. I think I didn't even heard of PF at that time; I kept listening "Us and them" and "The great gig" for tens of times a day. I couldn'ty believe there could be such music - I only knew of classical and of pop at the time.

My favourite album is now Animals, but I seem to have a sort of rotating favourites cycle.

Oh, I don't want to forget this - my personal belief is that PF's explorations between 66-67 opened the doors for all progressive music after.
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 03:36
Well said Andu.
Live at Pompeii was fascinating live performance.Watching them before empty audience but full of past ghoasts, playing inspired maybe one of the best gig of their life, was amazing.
Agreed that PF opened horizonts to prog music.
On DVD Pink floyd 66/67 you can see members of Beatles (lennon, Mcartney, Ringo) watching their performance in dissbelief. This was actual birth of prog.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 05:37
Originally posted by jtullprog jtullprog wrote:

As a young prog listener, only 15 years old, I would have never gotten into this music without Floyd as a gateway. An amazing band and as far as Ive noticed, the only "progressive" band to consistently put out 4-5 star albums throughout their career. So go ahead, share!
Well, PF is definitely a great place to start. My favorite PF era or phase is their earlier or psychedelic period. The Piper At The Gates of Dawn, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother, Relics, and Meddle. My favorite all-time Floyd album is Umma Gumma. Yes, i do like Dark Side Of The Moon, which will probably be considered the best prog album in the whole universe when the world ends. After that they pretty much lost me.

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 06:36
^^^

My favourite PF period is  ..... 1967 to 1994  Smile

Definitely one of the great bands on several different levels, and very important to the early development of Prog
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 07:52
One of my favorite bands for over 30 years.  I remember playing Meddle as a young teenager when my dad walked in and heard Echoes.  He walked out of my room with a copy of the tape.

Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 07:58

Well this is the thread for me!!

I started with PF too by 12, so they're very special for me. I'think they're like wine: they get better with time. I found myself appreciating Pink Floyd even more after all this progressive journey, because their unique songs, great lyrics and conceptual albums so huge as 'The Wall' is. They mark an era.

God Save Floyd!

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pnoom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 08:02
Until AMLOR, there is not a single bad PF album. AMLOR and afterwards... that's another story...

I'd rank order PF as follows, though it rotates fairly often:

Animals
Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon
Ummagumma
Wish You Were Here
The Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Atom Heart Mother
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Saucerful of Secrets
Obscured By Clouds
More
Division Bell
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

I think I got them all, if not... I'll have to get tested for memory loss...
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erik neuteboom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 08:11

For me Pink Floyd is a band with many different faces:

1967-1970 the Syd Barrett-era, a blend of rock, pop and psychedelia
1970-1973 the psychedelic/experimental era
1973-1979 the symphonic prog era
1979- ?      the post-Waters era, polished prog

If you read the reviews about the Pink Floyd albums it's always remarkable how the one proghead hails for example The Wall while the other nails it completely, the same goes for Atom Heart Mother.
Personally I am delighted about the Pink Floyd Pompeii DVD, exciting and very compelling blend of psychedelia and symphonic prog (great Farfisa organ sound and mindblowing slide guitar work) but it's totally different music in comparison with their highly acclaimed albums DSOTM and WYWH, to me they sound as 'prog classic', so elaborate and innovative, incredible that I have heard these albums perhaps a few hundred times and they still succeed to give me goose bumps, especially when I witnessed the The Division Bell tour when they performed the entire DSOTM album Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - January 19 2007 at 10:56
dedokras View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dedokras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 09:03
Got into Floyd around 1990 when I saw the movie The Wall, not sure whether I really liked it, but I have to say I was impressed (I was 11 then) and bought the album. I started to get into the music by 1993-94 and it was like discovering a whole new universe, and also started listening to progressive bands such as Marillion, Yes, Genesis (that I still listen to after all these years) and Dream Theater (that I don't any more). It also marked the beginning of my gradual loss of interest in my then favourite Purple, Rainbow, Maiden, etc. So it wouldn't be exaggerated to state that Pink Floyd is the most important band in my entire life and I still find most their albums (bar the last three) a turning point for modern music. Needless to say I own dozens of live bootlegs (or is it hundreds?), rare tracks, etc. Also, I have kinda obsession with the Animals album and tour... I think I'd better stop writing because this could go on forever :)

Edited by dedokras - January 19 2007 at 09:04
jtullprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtullprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 09:48
For me, and this may sound a little weird, but one of my favorite floyd albums is the final cut. It may be dominated by Waters but it is in itself sort of a sequel to the Wall. They even made a short film of about 20 minuets out of it. you can view it here

http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk/theFinalCut/

I feel the album as a whole though is vastly underrated as is much Floyd with the giant shadow of DSOTM over them.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 10:00
I would say they were certainly my introduction into the prog world.  But personally, I never thought of them as prog, even after I became a serious prog-head.  Their compositions were always to simplistic I felt, to be considered prog (I've never had any problem learning any of their songs just by listening and playing along.........the same can not be said for other prog "giants" like Yes or early Genesis).  Now though, I think they fit in the space rock sub genre of prog (like Hawkwind or Ozrics), though the later albums are certainly "symphonic".

My favorite era is still the pre-Darkside stuff.  My favorite album is still Meddle.  Dark side is a great album, but I just can't listen to it anymore.  I've heard it WAY too many times.  And I think it's popularity is blown out of proportion to how good the music is.

Still, all their albums had a profound effect on my early musical life, and certainly led the way for my appreciation of prog rock in general.  And I spent many hours painstakingly learning Gilmour's solos note for note, bend for bend, and nuance for nuance.  He had a tremendous impact on my guitar playing style and technique.

So, overall, though I almost never listen to them anymore, I have a very deep appreciation for everything they did and contributed to the music world and to my life.

Edited by infandous - January 19 2007 at 10:01
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 10:51
Originally posted by pero pero wrote:

Well said Andu.
Live at Pompeii was fascinating live performance.Watching them before empty audience but full of past ghosts, playing inspired maybe one of the best gig of their life, was amazing.
Agreed that PF opened horizons to prog music.
On DVD Pink floyd 66/67 you can see members of Beatles (lennon, Mcartney, Ringo) watching their performance in disbelief. This was actual birth of prog.

thanks, i also support your remarks. regarding your last paragraph, if you made a metaphor, i agree with it LOL. however, if i remember well, the images with the beatles are not from the footage with PF playing live on stage, but from an artistic performance that happened about the same time in london, but had no connection with the PF. it was just the director's idea to insert the images from the performance because many rock musicians were attending and so he could show that in london, music, arts and fashion were "vibrating" to the same experimental "vibe".

Edited by andu - January 19 2007 at 10:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>