Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFaded like the Beatles on Hey Jude

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faded like the Beatles on Hey Jude
    Posted: January 19 2007 at 15:56
I like that subject line; I'm hoping it will bring in the faithful as well as the curious.

I've checked over the recent ELO threads and like the discussions and polls they contain, but with this thread, I was hoping to get some commentary by ELO fans (and informed non-fans) about what I see as the genius of Jeff Lynne.

Now I've only seriously listened to the ELO output from "No Answer" to "New World Record" (which I just got and am blown away by) and so I can only speak to this phase of their output.

What's fascinating to me is how Lynne, et al. just sort of seized on the the mid-Beatles style in which the Beatles and Martin were overlaying orchestra tracks and all sort of sound effects, backwards lead guitar, etc. (Eleanor Rigby, TNK, I am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields)---all that, how they just took it and writ it large in awesome epic proportions.

It's like Lynne, in a fit of creative awareness, internalized Lennon's melancholy songwriting style and experimental, psychedelic sound effects (backward tapes, clips from movies and other media, AND McCartney's knack for kitsh and ability to create tunes in many genres, AND Martin's sense of classical accompaniement and the profound effect it can produce in a listner (more so than the usual rock instruments, imo) and just blasted forth with a higher psychedelic synthesis of it all. To the point that his music is as profoundly effective as any style of music I've ever heard.

I know there are those that say something was lost when Wood left, but I cannot figure out what it was. (I bought Wood's first lp (Wizzard) and I have to say, it was a bit disappointing, too much fifties style jams, nothing too compelling or worth many repeated listenings).

[And for the record: I got NO PROBLEM with how ELO is categorized, no problem. Great categorization, admin guys, couldn't have done it better myself, though one may wonder...no, no, I'm stopping, don't hurt me...     

So I guess what I'm requesting is: How do you, you thinking ELO fans out there, explain or describe the genius of ELO? If you have a particular review that you wrote up that you like that gets into this, post the link to it and I'll check it out.

And I know someone, possibly from below the equator, is going to point out how "Discovery" really is intended to mean "Disco-very" and proceed to wax antagonistic about ELO, but hey, that's okay too.

Jeff Lynne, artist as sonic magician, Sauron of the sound waves...[emoticon musing over deep concept]

Edited by bluetailfly - January 19 2007 at 22:41
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 00:02
ELO was a great ROCK/POP/DISCO band with some Prog elements specially in their first two albums, A New World Record was part of my youth and I enjoy a lot their music.

Sounds strange me saying this when I opposed so hard their inclusion (Something I would do again) but not being Prog (Maybe Prog Related at the most), doesn't mean they are band, by the contrary, they added ORCHESTRAL (Not Symphonic or Prog) elements to a clear Rock structure.

Great band, but again they should not be here, much less in a 100% Prog Sub-genre.

Iván

bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 20:24
Good points. Thanks.

I'm trying to avoid the whole categorization arugment. I'm just glad they've been added to the site, and I'm glad there are ELO fans who frequent the site.

To me what's amazing is that what ELO has done (and I don't think anyone before or since has done it better) is mix the psychedelic with the orchestral with the rock and roll and come up with this "fire" that is much greater than the sum of its parts.

All of ELO's albums through "Face the Music" are really unified pieces. Very cinematic. They are all not overt concept albums like "El Dorado" is, but are unified in themes, both lyrically and musically. I think after "Face the Music" is really when you see Lynne beginning to overtly try to repeat a formula that worked before...

Edited by bluetailfly - January 21 2007 at 20:13
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 10:32
I guess what I'm wondering at this point is---how did the Wood-Lynne era ELO differ from what followed?

Are there any fans of Roy Wood/Wizzad out there?
 Post Reply Post Reply