anael View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grateful Dead Discussion
    Posted: June 25 2007 at 20:37
Originally posted by Jack-a-lynn Jack-a-lynn wrote:

[QUOTE=Freak] 
Favorite Period? Hmm.... Probably 70 thru 82. And yes I do realize that is a 12 year span, lol.
Top show: 5/07/77 Boston Garden

LOL one of my fav dead show is the next to this one! at the Cornell University...awesome

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 15:17
I think American beauty and Workingman's Dead are alright, for country albums, but I'd like to get more of the psychedelic stuff.
UrbanAchiever View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 15:15

I hate to bring a fight to a peaceful thread, but i would venture to say that Terrapin Station is one of the finest prog albums i've ever heard, and its pretty damn good as just a piece of music as well.

best years:mid 70's                                                                                                                        

markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 15:01
they are overrateds
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:36
Originally posted by Jack-a-lynn Jack-a-lynn wrote:

Originally posted by Freak Freak wrote:

Ah! Thank God. I was distraught for a little bit - thought that there weren't any fans of the Dead in the PA. Anyway, I suppose I could expand the discussion, throw out some questions, launching points, eh?

What's everyone's favorite period?
What are your top shows?
Favorite song?

I can't get enough - especially not after discovering the Internet Archive. Hundreds and hundreds of performances, for free!

Favorite Period? Hmm.... Probably 70 thru 82. And yes I do realize that is a 12 year span, lol.

I could never pick a favorite song... maybe a top 15 or so.
Some that come to mind are Estimated Prophet, Cassidy, Row Jimmy, Samson & Delilah, Fire on the Mountain, Scarlet Begonias, and Shakedown Street. And Bird Song. And Brokedown Palace. And and and.

Thank you for reminding me about 5/7/77! I've got 5/8 & 5/9/77, and I've been meaning to pick up the first show in the "trilogy." I was on such a '77 phase that I decided to start exploring other areas, but I forgot to come back for that one!
soundsweird View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 23:13

I have John Oswald's 2-CD "Greyfolded", as well as several other albums.  Great stuff.

Big Dead fan, too...  

Jack-a-lynn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 19:02

Ah! Thank God. I was distraught for a little bit - thought that there weren't any fans of the Dead in the PA. Anyway, I suppose I could expand the discussion, throw out some questions, launching points, eh?

What are your top shows?
Favorite song?

I can't get enough - especially not after discovering the Internet Archive. Hundreds and hundreds of performances, for free!

I could never pick a favorite song... maybe a top 15 or so.
Some that come to mind are Estimated Prophet, Cassidy, Row Jimmy, Samson & Delilah, Fire on the Mountain, Scarlet Begonias, and Shakedown Street. And Bird Song. And Brokedown Palace. And and and.
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 05:54
my fav studio works of theirs wld have to be Live/Dead and Blues For Allah, very wonderfully tripped out jams.

But the fav song has gotta be Dark Star, one of the ultimate improv anthems if there ever was one.  BTW anyone heard or owns this work called Greyfolded in which soundartist Jon Oswald takes many diff recordings of Dark Star from various periods and puts em all together as one giant piece of music?  Its a 2cd work and i can tell ya its a freekin head  fookin trip!!!!!!!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 00:52
Best shows I saw would have to be the Christmas shows in Oakland 1987, Stanford 1983, and New Years Eve 1985.

Favorite albums; Steal Your Face, Blues For Allah, Reckoning, Working Man's Dead, Terrapin Station, Europe '72.
Zoot Allures View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 00:19
Very enjoyable band! Thumbs%20Up

Got to see them in Buffalo NY many years ago. Sting actually back them up. It was an excellent road trip with lots of fond memoriesHugLOL

Low stress music

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - Hunter S. Thompson
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 16:51
American Beauty is in my top 5 of all time. Box of rain is a masterpiece, but i must say i haven't been all too impressed by the live shows that i've downloaded from the internet archives. Mostly because of sound quality, i reckon.
I find them more relaxing than anything else to listen to, actually. Except for AB, of course, which is just a masterpiece. :)

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 16:46

Ah, I'm careful. My hard-drive can only handle so much, so I'm holding myself back. I just wish I had been around while these guys were playing. Well, I wish I was more than five years old while these guys were playing. My uncles went to a lot of shows, and my dad made it to a couple. I don't consider myself a Deadhead, because I didn't see them live - I'm just a big fan of their music.

Best years for me:
'70 - '74 & '77

Favorite Songs:
"China Cat Sunflower">"I Know You Rider"; "Morning Dew"; "Black-Throated Wind"; "Loser"

I am not a big fan of the Dead but went to see them late in their career.The concert was the Dead,Bob Dylan and Tom Petty.Awesome concert.

Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 16:34
Ah, I'm careful. My hard-drive can only handle so much, so I'm holding myself back. I just wish I had been around while these guys were playing. Well, I wish I was more than five years old while these guys were playing. My uncles went to a lot of shows, and my dad made it to a couple. I don't consider myself a Deadhead, because I didn't see them live - I'm just a big fan of their music.

Best years for me:
'70 - '74 & '77

Favorite Songs:
"China Cat Sunflower">"I Know You Rider"; "Morning Dew"; "Black-Throated Wind"; "Loser"
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 20:11
Sounds like you're heading for a Dead overload. LOL

I'm not a hard core "Dead Head", but the Aoxomoxoa(?) Workingmans Dead, American Beauty and Europe 72 are my personal favorite years.
The early psychedelic stuff is fine, but frankly, Anthem scares the sh*t outta me. Talk about catching "a trip "on tape, my God.

My fav tune. Easy Wind.
Been ballin' a shiny black steel jackhammer
Been chippin' up rocks for the great highway...
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 19:49

What are your top shows?
Favorite song?

Jack-a-lynn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 19:24
The Grateful Dead is my favorite band of all time. Their catalogue, their musicianship, the feeling you get when you listen to them... they're absolutely wonderful. Pretty indescribable.
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 22:35
Not to sound cheesy, but I find something almost spiritual in the Deads music. I'm not a hippy, nor ever was, but I cannot deny the mystical quality of their music. The combination of Hunters words, Garcia's and Weir's voice, and passionate musicianship made them a band without peers.
Roll them bones and keep on truckin'.

(ok, THAT was cheesy)LOL
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 21:43
Having grown up in S.F. in the 70s, they were the quintessential band that still gigged. Live, on a good night, they were the best, simply wonderful (and I'm no hippie). Not prog at all, but they were progressive in a deep sense, combining rock, bluegrass, psych, country and folk, and no one could touch them for group dynamics and endurance. 'It was all a dream we dreamed one afternoon...'
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 21:29
There's already been a thread to talk about the Grateful Dead that I've seen, but it's been mostly a debate about the progressive nature of the band or whether or not they deserve a place in the Archive. That's all fine and good, but I think we could use a thread dedicated to the discussion of the band. I think they're the finest live act of all-time and one of the best bands of ever. They truly are an experience, one that I'm sad that I never got to enjoy in person.

So, what do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply